Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 02:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times

Advertisements

On my sister's street there are two houses very close together. Last summer on an 4th of July in early evening the woman in one of the houses wasn't feeling well and lay down in her bedroom, right along side the driveway of her neighbors. The neighbors' kids were setting off firecrackers right in their driveway. After a couple of hours, according to my sister, the woman's husband went out to respectfully ask if they'd lay off for a while, explaining why. He apparently reached out and touched the guy's shoulder in the appeal, explaining his wife was quite ill. Neighbor guy got hotheaded, started yelling and told him to back off, he had a gun on him and began to reveal it. Fortunately nothing happened. The woman's husband brought charges; the case is pending. Just a little story as to why homeowners who think their roost is their kingdom should think twice about guns. It could've ended in tragedy and murder charges.

I'm all for people owning guns, just the ones who are ultra responsible and really know how to use one and when. Most of the folks I know personally should not really have a gun, mostly cuz they lack guts. Liberal types who don't want to harm a flea. All they have to do is mess with someone who is NOT afraid of guns, and they're in DS.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,362,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are the gun laws regarding shooting/killing home intruders on the state level or federal? If fed, what is the current law?
NEG, I reported, in Post #6, that Texas has laws granting citizens civil and criminal immunity for defending themselves and their property by the use of deadly force.

Texas Legislature Online - 80(R) Text for HB 284

Check your own state's laws for the protections afforded you therein.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:53 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,418,523 times
Quote:
. . . Just a little story as to why homeowners who think their roost is their kingdom should think twice about guns.

. . . All they have to do is mess with someone who is NOT afraid of guns, and they're in DS.

Well, you only got two things wrong here.

First, the people who should think twice about owning a gun are the people who would show a gun over some firecrackers in the yard as opposed to calling the police.

Second, no one should be afraid of guns, but everyone should be afraid of anyone who has a gun, including a police officer with a gun. A person who claims not to be afraid of a person with a gun is a soon to be dead person or a killer. I don't know many of those people.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
One does not wake up suddenly at age 60 and say gee I think I'll get a gun and learn how to use it. Anyone who enters unarmed will easily overpower a 60 year old novice and turn the gun on him or her. Talk about irony--getting shot and possibly killed with your own gun.
This has been the orchestrated squeal of the antigun crowd for years. But as common sense would indicate, it's not true. No unarmed person will be able to disarm an armed person and then use the weapon on the first. Gun ban outfits were pushing this hard about twenty years ago when women were first beginning to arm themselves in significant numbers. It's a lie; it doesn't happen; there is no documentation that it ever happens or has happened. The gun ban crowd are people who would rather have you die than have the ability to defend yourself. I'm out of shape and arthritic. But no sixteen year old "future basketball star" is going to hurt me, and being sixty years old was a long time ago.

It's well to consider that where crime is lowest gun ownership is high. Where crime is rampant the average citizens seem to fear guns more than they do criminals.

I carry a gun all of the time. I started when I was thirteen and have always congratulated myself for my wisdom. I've never been a victim. If the government tells me I can't carry a gun I ignore it. My safety is more important than the wishes of the government.

Stay away from the city and keep your gun handy; you'll live a long life.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
Are the gun laws regarding shooting/killing home intruders on the state level or federal? If fed, what is the current law?
They're state. Some states have Castle Doctrines, like mine, and some don't.

Quote:
All they have to do is mess with someone who is NOT afraid of guns, and they're in DS.
I'm assuming that's the same as being in deep kimchi.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,398,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
This made me laugh. We just moved to an old farts neighborhood and the older guy next door is a gun enthusiast which is his right, but I kept wondering how his shaky hands were handling those big guns he has. My dad was a police officer and I grew up around guns, I respect guns and would never take your rights away. But I do have a very clear memory of when I was 11 laying on the living room floor, my dad cleaning his gun, his gun going off and putting a bullet through the wall our house into the neigbor's house next door. Then his Lt. was teaching a gun safety class at the Jr. college and the rifle discharges in the classroom bringing down the a/c vent on his head. For Christmas they gave him a ceiling vent with a dead bird attached to it. I love cops. Sooooo, again I respect guns, if you want them you can have them, but do be careful LOL. And most of all, avoid the Jack Daniels when cleaning your guns. Wonder if the guy next door drinks.
One of the first rules of gun safety - Alcohol and gunpowder don't mix!

Old 12-16-2011, 03:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, you only got two things wrong here.

First, the people who should think twice about owning a gun are the people who would show a gun over some firecrackers in the yard as opposed to calling the police.

It was the dad of the firecracker shooting household who showed the gun. He would not have called the police; his neighbor did. A gun owner gone power-giddy.

Second, no one should be afraid of guns, but everyone should be afraid of anyone who has a gun, including a police officer with a gun. A person who claims not to be afraid of a person with a gun is a soon to be dead person or a killer. I don't know many of those people.

Don't get your point, it's happy hour here. My point is that only those who feel absolutely confident in using a gun should own one. Anyone who would think twice, either from personal fear or insecurity (inability/unwillingness to pull the trigger at the crucial moment) or from fumbling it from nervousness or not knowing how to gun down the intruder* should not own a gun).

* An intruder does not always come through a window or door and stay in one visible place in a lit room. Often it is dark, and the intruder moves from room to room. If an intruder is crawling along the floor, as one did in my mother's house to avoid the range of the alarm, it is easy for the homeowner to misjudge where the intruder is, even stumble over him and fall flat on face with gun going off. All kinds of situational scenarios are imaginable. Owning and using a gun goes hand in hand with serious training not only in how to use the GUN, but in how to handle various potential SITUATIONS. A lot of seniors are just not that with it, IMO, and had better rely on a good old fashioned security system with the phone programmed to 911.

^

Old 12-16-2011, 03:44 PM

4,784 posts, read 10,572,821 times
Back to the OP and her question: go down to a local range, say Hi, and tell them your story honestly. On a weekday, the range owner will probably offer to show you a few basics and let you pump off a few rounds, under supervision. If it is intimidating and not for you, you have answered your question. If it is not intimidating and/or is interesting, ask about some 'lessons', intro version.

Then, if you like it, feel comfortable, etc. you can decide to buy one, and as the rational posters have noted: practice, practice, practice, (but the ammo ain't cheap).

For those of us retired, not retired, male or female, single or w/partner, if having a weapon makes sense for you, and you are comfortable with it, then why not...

MrMossberg under the bed, and MrGlock in the drawer. And, my CEO is as good with either, as I am...
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 12-16-2011, 04:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,859,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Especially single female retirees, just wondering if you purchased a weapon of some type, and did you learn how to use it, and where do you keep it?

I am in AZ and Sheriff Joe just had his duties clearly restricted by the Feds. Now, I liked the way he rounded up criminals in this county. I think maybe I should look into some type of protection (besides my 2 wimpy dogs) but the thought of it is scarey.
You have some fantastic firearms instructors in AZ. I suggest you start there.

Scroll down the page to the ladies pistol classes:
Gunsite: Pistol Training

Another option would be to find an NRA class near you offering the Women on Target program. Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics

Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,726,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You have some fantastic firearms instructors in AZ. I suggest you start there.

Scroll down the page to the ladies pistol classes:
Gunsite: Pistol Training

American Beauty Shooting - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.