Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

If you are told your check is to be disbursed on the 24th of the month, and it is going to be direct deposited, does that mean it will be deposited on the 24th?

Hubby was told his first check would be directly deposited on the 24th . . . it's the 26th but of course it has been a banking holiday. Typically, our bank holds checks - even direct deposit checks - but they note that it has been received. I just reviewed our account and nothing is being noted as "pending."

So do I start asking questions tomorrow . . . or what? To me, direct deposit means . . . the day the check is cut, it is deposit directly, but the government and I may not be on the same page on how that works, lol.

We are just concerned w/ it being the first check - always worry about something going wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:13 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Here is the schdule for SS Direct Deposts 12/24 is NOT a Normal Payment date;

2011 Schedule of Social Security Benefit Payments

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Thank you so much for that PDF w/ the payment dates. I had googled for about an hour b/f posting and didn't have the good sense to search for a chart on payment dates!

Well . . . don't know how hubby came up with that date, b/c his payment looks like it would be made on the 28th, not the 24th. Hubby is sick (flu - just in time for Christmas, lol!) and was unable to tell me where to find any letters he has received on the subject. He has been very insistent it was to be deposited on the 24th.

Looks like I should be looking for a deposit on or after the 28th. :-)

Thank you again. Not gonna concern myself further with this til the 29th!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
As you have probably now noted, checks come/direct deposits are made on Wednesdays and which Wednesday depends upon your SSAN. For instance, mibne comes on the 3dr Wed. and my wife's on the 4th Wed. Our bank always credits them the day before.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
As you have probably now noted, checks come/direct deposits are made on Wednesdays and which Wednesday depends upon your SSAN. For instance, mibne comes on the 3dr Wed. and my wife's on the 4th Wed. Our bank always credits them the day before.
Thank you for helping me understand these procedures. I do all the bookkeeping these days and I really do need to know how to keep track of this.

I had not realized that the deposits were always on Wednesdays til I saw that chart.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:52 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
To Anifani: Glad you have solved your problem. For what it's worth, I have been receiving Social Security direct deposits for the last five and a half years and they have never failed to be credited to my account on the day expected, which for me is the third Wednesday. Reliability doesn't get any better than that, in my book. I hope you will have the same experience.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:12 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
As has been said. You can depend on it being there when promised. Been doing it for over 7 years and changed banks twice but Social Security electronic deposit was as regular as clock work on the day promised.

The fact that you are "talking" to us shows you know a little something about computers so I suggest you set up online access to your bank accounts, especially chaecking/debit. This way you can stay on top of account activity. I find it to be a real help and this is from someone that never used to even balance my checking account.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thank you so much for that PDF w/ the payment dates. I had googled for about an hour b/f posting and didn't have the good sense to search for a chart on payment dates!

Well . . . don't know how hubby came up with that date, b/c his payment looks like it would be made on the 28th, not the 24th. Hubby is sick (flu - just in time for Christmas, lol!) and was unable to tell me where to find any letters he has received on the subject. He has been very insistent it was to be deposited on the 24th.

Looks like I should be looking for a deposit on or after the 28th. :-)

Thank you again. Not gonna concern myself further with this til the 29th!
Many banks and credit unions have online features that will allow you to set triggers on your account that send you an email anytime a deposit or transaction occurs if it exceeds whatever amount you set. This is real helpful in keeping track of when major deposits occur.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 PM

Thank you all so much. Really appreciate all the info and input.

I agree - online banking is so helpful.

I will check tomorrow to see if my bank has noted the deposit. I don't know why but for some reason, my bank notes that direct deposits are "pending" before they actually make the funds available. That is typically a day ahead. I checked this evening and nothing is "pending" so I will look at it again tomorrow and see how this works so I will know what to expect in the future.

Yes, it is important that I get a grip on this. Hubby ended up at the ER today :-( I have been handling most of the finances (bill paying) for a while but it is increasingly necessary that I am totally on top of our banking and finances in general.

I am really glad I found this particular forum. You all have been so helpful. I have read old posts to educate myself and have found a treasure trove of good info here.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 49,786 times
Thanks for all of the information that I've found here. I too will receive for the very first time the month of Jan, 2012. I am asking for any info for 1st timmers at this too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement