Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:18 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times

Advertisements

I did a quick look a couple of years ago at a couple of AARP discounts Car rental and hotel), and really didn't see any advantage over discounts that could be obtained on the internet.

So for thouse who have AARP, have you found that any of the discounts are greater/better than you can find on the internet?

Just trying to justify the cost of joining AARP.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 01:47 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Don't like AARP and their political leanings, but have a card, saved me $160 a year on auto insurance and occasionally save $5 on motels.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
The convention is a gas and they have an unpublished policy of picking up the cost for the room damages.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Don't like AARP and their political leanings, but have a card, saved me $160 a year on auto insurance ...
I need to get some AARP quotes on Auto, as that is the only reason I have been inclined to look their way. (I just got hit with MORE increases from my Country Companies agent of 30 yrs.) I am paying at minimum $300/yr for auto liability only. It is still cheaper than many places I tired, but heard AARP is lowest for Auto. (in our region)

Ditto the social agenda of AARP... really can detract from their core mission.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
In California the AARP and AAA discounts seem to be about the same. I'm right in the middle of taking an online driving refresher course on the AARP website that I got a few bucks off that will apparently get me a 5% discount from State Farm. If I pass! lol But my primary reason for belonging is to support their lobbying efforts with my $12 a year.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 PM

250 posts, read 737,572 times
I belong in great part because I do support their lobbying efforts. This year I saved 30% off the cost of a pair of prescription eye glasses by showing the optical sales person my membership card. It is a toss up in motels between showing AARP card or AAA card. But overall since I have been a member I have always saved money each year.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
Sometimes I get tired of all the junk mail that comes with membership, but, for me, the savings on motels each year more than pays for the cost of membership.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 10,611,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
Sometimes I get tired of all the junk mail that comes with membership, but, for me, the savings on motels each year more than pays for the cost of membership.
We did a 13,000 mile 2 month road trip this past summer and I always got the 'senior'/AARP discount simply by logging request in via smartphone or, asking for it. Haven't been an AARP member in a decade, and was never asked for an AARP card, along the trip.

Being a 'part of AARP' these days, is like us being in the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts back in the late '50s: everyone just assumes we are 'members', imo. If there is any joint or biz that might offer 'AARP discount' it is seldom the best deal there is, or one can merely say 'sure',
and few bat an eye...my point is it is taken for granted that any of us are AARP 'members', and the 'deals' are thin, imo. The rest of their operation and crap offered ranges from suspect to benignly inane, at best, imo.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM

250 posts, read 737,572 times
[quote=motordavid;22330682]We did a 13,000 mile 2 month road trip this past summer and I always got the 'senior'/AARP discount simply by logging request in via smartphone or, asking for it. Haven't been an AARP member in a decade, and was never asked for an AARP card, along the trip.
Being a 'part of AARP' these days, is like us being in the Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts back in the late '50s: everyone just assumes we are 'members', imo. If there is any joint or biz that might offer 'AARP discount' it is seldom the best deal there is, or one can merely say 'sure',
and few bat an eye...my point is it is taken for granted that any of us are AARP 'members', and the 'deals' are thin, imo. T

Wow!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 AM

801 posts, read 2,212,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
We did a 13,000 mile 2 month road trip this past summer and I always got the 'senior'/AARP discount simply by logging request in via smartphone or, asking for it. Haven't been an AARP member in a decade, and was never asked for an AARP card, along the trip.

and few bat an eye...my point is it is taken for granted that any of us are AARP 'members', and the 'deals' are thin, imo. The rest of their operation and crap offered ranges from suspect to benignly inane, at best, imo.
I've also gotten discounts by just walking in and asking...without showing the card. But...the biggest discounts I've gotten for extended stays were by making reservations on line in which I had to input my AARP membership number and show the card at check-in. My annual discounts are always much greater than the cost of membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement