Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:07 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times

Advertisements

Are there any options out there to lease/rent a car for a longer term, like, say, three months, without paying a weekly rate?
I am hoping to spend summers some 2,000 miles away from my main home. A weirdo, I want to get out of eastern Mass. for the summers, away from the grey humidity. Surely all retirees that snowbird or something don't always drive their own car all over the place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Just about all the car rental companies will do long term Rentals.
Things to think about / not do:
1. Don't Rent the car from the airport get out of town some, The airport fees/taxes can be more then the rental.
2. You Credit Card Rental insurance will NOT cover the long term rental. There are 3rd party Ins company they will white a non/owner policy, Also check you your current Auto Policy (if you have one) to see if they can do any thing for you.
3. Look for a non/brand name 'Local' company there rates may be lower, also A "used" rental from one of non 1st teir companies
4. Consider getting AAA in case of brakedown, for non/covered items.
5. Take VERY good pictures and have agent go with you as you pickup and drop off the car with a fine tooth comb, to avoid damanage claims for item there were there when you picked up the car.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:44 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Check with car dealerships to see if they rent cars. We were able to rent a car for about 6 weeks as our car was being repaired from an accident. I'd guess they'd would have rented it for a longer period as it was guaranteed income. We didn't get special insurance as the other guy's insurance was paying for the rental and we did have our car insurance.

Another option is to buy a used vehicle and then sell it when you're done. I know there are RV dealerships who sell them and then guarantee buying them back once your vacation is completed. There might be dealerships who'll do that for a car.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Call your insurance agent. Insurance companies use car lessors that charge deep discounted rates for terms longer than a few days or a week and you may get a name from him for a particular locality.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:25 AM

Thanks to all for the great suggestions!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:36 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Are there any options out there to lease/rent a car for a longer term, like, say, three months, without paying a weekly rate?
I am hoping to spend summers some 2,000 miles away from my main home. A weirdo, I want to get out of eastern Mass. for the summers, away from the grey humidity. Surely all retirees that snowbird or something don't always drive their own car all over the place?
Food for thought, your destination is 2,000 miles away, so your trip there and back is 4,000 miles. Not counting driving milage there a 3 month rental is the equivalent of 16,000 miles per year. Multiply 4 times the amount of miles you will drive while there and add that to the 16,000 and you might be looking at a high mileage use equivalent lease and I don't know much about leases but that could be expensive.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
3 Month Car Lease - Find The Best New Car Lease Deals

Quote:
Three month car leasing deals, however, are more attractive for those with short term plans. This is especially true for people that drive strictly for business, since the mileage and extra fees is kept at a minimum – both of which are important factors for car leasing.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:31 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Something to think about, depending on where you want to go, would be ZipCar or similar "car share" programs, where you only pay for a car when you are actually using it.

Not sure where you want to go, but you probably know about Amtrak's car-train on the east coast, they will haul your car and you to Florida. Or in that direction, anyway. Although if you want to escape humidity, this is probably not what you want to do.

Another point might be to just drive the car you have, assuming you have one, to your vacation. If you want to bring much "stuff", the car will let you do it, if there are 2 of you, it may compare well cost-wise against 2 air tickets (and you can avoid the joys of flying nowadays).

Old 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
I have been known to buy a cheap car off CL, and leave it at the airport when I go home... (Warning: this is not 'legal' advice... ... someone with get all feathered up over this...)

Only buy a temporary car, IF it has current plates that go with the car, some states don't allow that, and plates stay with the owner (There are also ways to do this legal, tho pretty painful in some states). Do make sure you are insured (this brings up even MORE troubles, BUT, most policies allow you a 30 day 'grace period' when buying a new car. (they expect you are REPLACING an existing one).

Do take the other advice FIRST.

Car dealers have been a source for longer term rentals, I have also bought-used-and-sold-when-leaving. You want to choose something that will sell fast!! (Like a $35 Stealthrabbit that gets 50mpg ). I find it is not hard to resell a $35 car (just be careful not sell it with a full tank ) (Unless it is full of free fryer grease)

Maybe you need to find a decent 'house-swap'.. My friends that do it, seem to get pretty nice cars included (usually Volovos / MB's / BMW...) In A recent swap the family from US left their swappers with a BEATER LTD wagon, and the European guests that came, put over 10,000 miles on it!

I personally could not stomach 'lending' one of my $35 cars to a stranger. I HATE fixing the errors of others... (plus liability !!!)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:25 AM

I would be thinking of spending summers in SW Colorado, living in my house in eastern Mass. the rest of the time. I wouldn't be driving back and forth, that is the point. I'd be flying and needing a car in Colorado for my stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement