Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:52 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person in Charge View Post
No, when it's time for me to retire, I'll either be in a small cabin out in the woods somewhere with a dog for company, or I'll be in a foreign country.

The thought of spending the rest of my days playing cards and taking bus trips to the local bingo hall with a bunch of old people is beyond depressing.

My grandfather is in his late 80s and still takes care of his farmhouse and livestock. I cannot even begin to imagine someone like him rotting in that kind of environment.
And what kind of life is it when still working at that age? Almost as bad as sitting in a cabin with a dog.

Next time I am with the guys that play softball or tennis at my 55+ I will tell them they are supposed to be playing cards and bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 09:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
No, not really. People fatigue me and Too many of them just plain irritate me. I thoroughly enjoy quiet times alone or with my wife. I am married and my wife and the kitties are all I need or want.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:44 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Hi Retirees,

Do you enjoy speding time with other people (those who are NOT relatives)? Given the popularity of all the 55+ communities, I would think that most people do. But since a number of replies in another thread suggest many people want to be either solely be with their spouse or alone, maybe retirees don't want to make new friends or to utilize time in activities with others.

How do you feel about this?
yes, I feel enlivened being around other people and am looking at a 55+ community.

I have no spouse and children are out of the house, so the peace and quiet of living alone drives me alternately crazy or mellow. Mellow is OK sometimes but I like sounds of other people around too.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:46 AM

197 posts, read 208,928 times
This topic interests me, and I think I am somewhere in between on the continuum. I read once that an extrovert feels energized by attending social functions, while the introvert is exhausted by them. I tend toward the exhaustion end of the scale . . . but then I find myself “needing” to get out and get together with people again. What does that make me?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:52 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
This topic interests me, and I think I am somewhere in between on the continuum. I read once that an extrovert feels energized by attending social functions, while the introvert is exhausted by them. I tend toward the exhaustion end of the scale . . . but then I find myself “needing†to get out and get together with people again. What does that make me?
according to Myers Briggs, the Introvert to Extravert is a continuum lets say pure I = -10 and pure E = +10. You may be right smack in the middle or edging one way or the other.

So I bet you go the the event, mingle, then leave when it gets too loud for you.

Good luck

Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I am perfectly happy in my own company but I generally do enjoy other peoples' company -- but not the drama that sometimes develops in social groups. The "junior high" stuff, that we should have all left far behind, gets on my nerves. I enjoy meeting new people and have met some folks with amazing experiences or accomplishments just by being open to conversation. That includes the King of the Gypsies (really), the guy that invented the machine that wraps your gum, beekeepers, a fish farmer from British Columbia, commercial vintners, a Manhattan Project worker, oil frackers, cowboys and Indians, national park rangers, a one-time sheriff of Tombstone, and an independent film producer. The guy sitting next to you on the bus or a barstool might have an amazing story.

Sometimes it's kinda like that that woman on the bench in Forest Gump -- you'd happily let the bus go by to hear the rest of the story.

Old 04-28-2018, 11:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
I'm fine with my own company and that of my dog and wild critters. I have a gf and a couple of old buddies with whom I enjoy spending time but I can happily go weeks without being in another person's company.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:59 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I would love to find a compatible couple for my husband and me to go out to dinner with, play cards, etc.

However, I have just about given up finding another politically moderate, agnostic, non-smoking, wine-drinking mostly-happy couple like us, so we have found contentment in just being with each other!
You guys sounds like us. We are mostly just with each other, which is fine. But we would love to have another couple or two to hang out occasionally with though.

It's always hard to find that balance.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:06 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
I meet and socialize with many people

However sometimes hearing about total negativity wears me down

Then it’s hiatus.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:58 PM

126 posts, read 96,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
And what kind of life is it when still working at that age? Almost as bad as sitting in a cabin with a dog.
Hunting, fishing, and hiking will be a lot of fun. I also plan to hike the Pacific Crest and Appalachian trails when I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement