Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Hi Retirees,

Do you enjoy speding time with other people (those who are NOT relatives)? Given the popularity of all the 55+ communities, I would think that most people do. But since a number of replies in another thread suggest many people want to be either solely be with their spouse or alone, maybe retirees don't want to make new friends or to utilize time in activities with others.

How do you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 11:31 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Hi Retirees,

Do you enjoy speding time with other people (those who are NOT relatives)? Given the popularity of all the 55+ communities, I would think that most people do. But since a number of replies in another thread suggest many people want to be either solely be with their spouse or alone, maybe retirees don't want to make new friends or to utilize time in activities with others.

How do you feel about this?
First, tell us about yourself. Otherwise you'll present the image of a cultural anthropologist from another planet or time. Do you like being around other people either because you share a common interest or you feel insecure and nervous when you're alone. Are you the same fundamentally or different from the way you were forty or fifty years ago.

This subforum is far more about old age than retirement. Look at the threads. Some of us work either with or without other people. I deal with people by phone and e-mail for business but have little social contact beyond specific hobbies and pursuits.

But again, what about you? Do you work or are you retired?.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:42 AM

Default Retired Subforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
First, tell us about yourself. Otherwise you'll present the image of a cultural anthropologist from another planet or time. Do you like being around other people either because you share a common interest or you feel insecure and nervous when you're alone. Are you the same fundamentally or different from the way you were forty or fifty years ago.

This subforum is far more about old age than retirement. Look at the threads. Some of us work either with or without other people. I deal with people by phone and e-mail for business but have little social contact beyond specific hobbies and pursuits.

But again, what about you? Do you work or are you retired?.
This subforum is called "Retirement," so I would assume it is for and about retired people. I know there has been a discussion to make another forum to address the posts of people who are older but working. Don't know what happened to that idea--too bad it didn't happen.

Yes, I enjoy other people. I grew up in a large family and always worked in situations where there was lots of people interaction.

In my thread intro, I didn't ask WHY people liked to be around other people, just IF they enjoyed being with others.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
In my thread intro, I didn't ask WHY people liked to be around other people, just IF they enjoyed being with others.
Why won't you answer any questions about yourself? I'm sixty-eight; how old are you?

Are you taking a poll for class?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:54 AM

45 posts, read 70,572 times
staywarm2, I'm not interested in an age-segregated community, although I think they're fine for people who want to live in one.

My late husband and I had no children and I have little in common with my other relatives (who live far from me), so I see them only once or twice a year. I do enjoy spending some time with local friends and acquaintances and one or two former co-workers. I love brief informal chats with strangers such as tourists I meet when we're waiting for a streetcar. I'm interested in people.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:00 PM

Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Why won't you answer any questions about yourself? I'm sixty-eight; how old are you?

Are you taking a poll for class?
I'm retired. My exact age is nobody's business. I'm not taking a poll for any class--way past that! I see you are a psychic. Trying to read my tea leaves?

I'm a people person and interested to know if lots of other people are also or if they are loners instead. Your responses seem a bit strident. I don't understand that. Do you have some issues with people?

Old 01-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Default Informal Chats with Strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLamar View Post
staywarm2, I'm not interested in an age-segregated community, although I think they're fine for people who want to live in one.

My late husband and I had no children and I have little in common with my other relatives (who live far from me), so I see them only once or twice a year. I do enjoy spending some time with local friends and acquaintances and one or two former co-workers. I love brief informal chats with strangers such as tourists I meet when we're waiting for a streetcar. I'm interested in people.
I'm so glad to hear you enjoy informal chats with strangers in line, etc. I find those to be a lot of fun and interesting. We met some people at The Biltmore House in Asheville, NC who were from Rockville, MD. They were traveling to ATL to see their daughter (I live in ATL). We, at the time, were traveling to Rockville, MD (their home) to see our daughter. All of us found the exact reversal to be quite amusing.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Stay

My wife will say I am more of a social creature then she is but she spends more time with her family then I do with anybody so she is actually socializing more then I am. My socializing is with my golfing/drinking/laughing/nothing is serious buddies.

Couple/friends our age retired to an over 55 community and they love it. They actually have a busier social life there then before they retired. Many moved to such a community with no social network so many there are looking to have one. They are not as busy everyday (their choosing) as they were in their working life but they have a much busier social life and with social friends they chose rather then ones forced on them by business and/or family.

If one is not a bit of a social butterfly and/or waits for invitations they might be left waiting alone. Not that ones needs a busy social life but wanting one and not being able to achieve such is more the issue then not wanting one. I think quite a few defend their solitary life when they wish is was not so solitary.

Last edited by accufitgolf; 01-08-2012 at 03:14 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
I think you could also turn the question around and ask who likes spending time alone.

I don't have a lot of close friends, but I do have friends, and like hanging around with them. I'm now a Florida snowbirds, so hoping to find folks who I like to do similar things with. We like to go out to restaurants and bars and hear live music, and I find that Florida is a very friendly place to strike up conversations. This is a bit easier since I'm part of a couple and my husband is a bit more gregarious than I.

But I also spend a fair amount of time alone, and lots of time with my husband.

I have a brother who has no friends, and doesn't really care about being with other people. To him, his wife is his best friend and that's all he needs. And he does not like to be alone, he wants her around all the time. I don't think this is very healthy, frankly.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:49 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I think you could also turn the question around and ask who likes spending time alone.

I don't have a lot of close friends, but I do have friends, and like hanging around with them. I'm now a Florida snowbirds, so hoping to find folks who I like to do similar things with. We like to go out to restaurants and bars and hear live music, and I find that Florida is a very friendly place to strike up conversations. This is a bit easier since I'm part of a couple and my husband is a bit more gregarious than I.

But I also spend a fair amount of time alone, and lots of time with my husband.

I have a brother who has no friends, and doesn't really care about being with other people. To him, his wife is his best friend and that's all he needs. And he does not like to be alone, he wants her around all the time. I don't think this is very healthy, frankly.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement