Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:41 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times

Advertisements

I've never had a sense of working to "achieve." Now, I've had more goals and changes than most people in two lifetimes, but they were to try and shape my life the way I wanted, not to achieve anything.
"Achieving" and "being a TV person" are certainly not the only choices, by the way. How about simply living, whatever that means to a person?
I think there are lots of retirees who think they are going to do jewelry/paint/write/etc. who largely lack unusual talent. If they had unusual talent, likely they would have done these things already.
I have a writer friend who gets mad if people say, "I want to write when I retire." He says it's like, "I want to do brain surgery when I retire." It takes a lifetime. Now, if someone enjoys the process of trying (which is perfectly valid) then great. I used to play saxophone (along with lots of other adults) with no plan or hope whatsoever of "doing something with it." I enjoyed the process at the time. I do believe maybe two professional musicians came out of that four years at the music school- one who had a trust fund, and the other was already working professionally in music and has continued and succeeded.
Process, not product!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 04:09 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Yes, I am working on a Ph.D. I am also a writer and when I am done with this program want to continue my writing efforts. I am also open to setting other goals. I am a life-long learner and enjoy learning and doing new things. I could never just "relax" and become a "TV person."
Since when did one equate to or join the other? I'm very relaxed but may watch an hour or two of television in a week. I am, however, a voracious reader which provides me with enjoyment as well as an ongoing "education." I simply have no hard, fast plans to go out and use what I learn. Ergo, what I "achieve" if purely for self and I'm fine with that.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:44 AM

400 posts, read 738,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
...I think there are lots of retirees who think they are going to do jewelry/paint/write/etc. who largely lack unusual talent. If they had unusual talent, likely they would have done these things already.
I have a writer friend who gets mad if people say, "I want to write when I retire." He says it's like, "I want to do brain surgery when I retire." It takes a lifetime. Now, if someone enjoys the process of trying (which is perfectly valid) then great. I used to play saxophone (along with lots of other adults) with no plan or hope whatsoever of "doing something with it." I enjoyed the process at the time. I do believe maybe two professional musicians came out of that four years at the music school- one who had a trust fund, and the other was already working professionally in music and has continued and succeeded.
Process, not product!
My thoughts exactly. Good post!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yes, but truthfully I don't think it'll ever happen. Not without a lot of help anyway. I have a book 'inside' of me that I've wanted to write for a long time. It would be fiction, based on fact, from the late 1500s forward. After doing my family genealogy for over 25 years I sure do have the facts! I find my family to be fascinating creatures and boy, are there some stories! I have always admired James Michener because he wrote the way I'd LIKE to write! I once read that he researched each of his books for like ten years. Obviously his research overlapped a lot!
Have you started to write? Maybe join a writers' group? This is the year!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

I want to create a new garden when we move (again) this time in pure SAND near a beach. Maybe I'll join their garden club but I don't like the snooty kind of garden clubs, just the ones with down to earth people interested in gardening.
I'm interested in doing container gardening, in very large pots on my deck. It's amazing how much you can grow in them, with organic fertilizer. One of my friends does hanging tomato plants, and she has tomatoes all summer from must a few. Herbs too. I've noticed that anything growing in coastal air does great, including flowers.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm interested in doing container gardening, in very large pots on my deck. It's amazing how much you can grow in them, with organic fertilizer. One of my friends does hanging tomato plants, and she has tomatoes all summer from must a few. Herbs too. I've noticed that anything growing in coastal air does great, including flowers.
It's a great pursuit! I started growing my herbs in whiskey barrels several years ago. Raising the plants helped keep the bunnies out of my herbs. There is much satisfaction in growing veggies and herbs - and container gardens make it less labor intensive and possible in landscapes where tilling a garden is impractical.

Hope you can do this!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 AM

400 posts, read 738,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is a great hobby! I've grown various varieties of tomatoes on my front walkway (I'm in a condo) for the past few years. Some of them grow to 6 feet tall. I've also done peppers, cucumbers, and herbs. It's fun to come home and pick vegetables to throw in the salad or stew.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have a writer friend who gets mad if people say, "I want to write when I retire." He says it's like, "I want to do brain surgery when I retire." It takes a lifetime. Now, if someone enjoys the process of trying (which is perfectly valid) then great.
I think that many people have untapped "talents" that have been on hold all their working lives and the talents are amazing. They may not become brain surgeons but are really great writers and artists, business consultants, etc. They just need some coaching and being around others who're immersed in the same things. Heck, at age 60, conceivably one has 20 or 30 years to go, that's a long time to refine skills or transfer them to something else if one is impaired in some way.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It's a great pursuit! I started growing my herbs in whiskey barrels several years ago. Raising the plants helped keep the bunnies out of my herbs. There is much satisfaction in growing veggies and herbs - and container gardens make it less labor intensive and possible in landscapes where tilling a garden is impractical.

Hope you can do this!
Where do you get whiskey barrels? Do you put compost in?

(I bought a small compost maker from the town dump and have started using it)

Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweepea View Post
This is a great hobby! I've grown various varieties of tomatoes on my front walkway (I'm in a condo) for the past few years. Some of them grow to 6 feet tall. I've also done peppers, cucumbers, and herbs. It's fun to come home and pick vegetables to throw in the salad or stew.
Can you describe how you plant the peppers and cukes?

"Achievement": grow enough veg's for eating all summer (Curmudgeon qualifies)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement