Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,430,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Some things I don't remember being mentioned that are important to us: A good library, non-restrictive alcohol laws, good restaurants, civic centers and the like, and interesting places we can drive to in a day.

Caladium, have you visited Fernandina Beach north of JAX? We thought it was a beautiful area, but my understanding is that you want to choose a location carefully because of the paper mill stench. We took a boat tour when we were there and it was great. The captain was very knowledgeable about the area so we got a history lesson along the way. Distance to JAX isn't too bad, and the area west of it is growing so Lowes, Walgreens, etc are moving in.
I am afraid that excellent libraries are becoming dinosaurs due to municipal budget problems and changes in reading habits. We do have some decent to very good ones in the JAX metro area. If you like to read (I do) - have you looked into the new Kindle "lending library" (no one who likes to read should be without a Kindle ).

What are "non-restrictive" alcohol laws in your opinion? Apart from DUI stuff - only things that come to mind in this area are no morning sales on Sunday - no open containers in cars - no drinking on beaches/streets for the most part - etc. OTOH - for the few big events we have - stuff like the Gator Bowl or the FL/GA game - places where you might not otherwise be allowed to walk around in public drinking - there are large designated "drinking areas". Just make sure to bring a designated driver if you are a designated drinker .

I wouldn't not move to FB because of the paper mill stench. Frankly - we don't get it very much at all in the JAX metro area these days - except for some days in the winter when we have very strong cold fronts pushing down from the north. OTOH - I wouldn't move to FB because it isn't that close to a lot of things. Including downtown JAX (mostly good for shows - concerts- sports events - etc.) - the better medical centers - and the best shopping and restaurants in JAX (not that our shopping or restaurants are terrific). Also - that drive to FB after you go over the Dames Point Bridge - on a mostly 2 lane road - is really really dark. It's very pretty during the day - but we don't like doing it after dark. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 PM

9,471 posts, read 9,343,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
For me, I don't want to hang out with people just to hang out- I want people that I can relate to, that have common interests to mine. For example, I'm not a card player, so I'm not willing to play cards just to meet people. I believe the best approach is joining activities that you enjoy, since your chances of meeting people that you have something in common with go up substantially. Sometimes it takes some trial and error - I've gone to things that I quickly realized were not for me, and others that I've stuck with.

For instance, I go to a group for seniors that meets at our local library. They have a speaker every month on a wide variety of topics. It's a smallish, informal group and because of that, very easy to meet and talk to people. Coffee and cake are served at the meeting, and people tend to stay afterwards to chat. Just came back from that this morning- a new woman attended today and she and I just hit it off - we talked for close to an hour and I left thinking maybe she could become a friend, time will tell. I've met some great people through this group.

I tried a similar group once, but it was just too big and formal - the setup was not conducive to informal chats and getting to know people, so I dropped that.

I take courses at a local college that has a group for older adults - lot's of different courses to fit many different interest groups - another great way to meet people that have common interests.

I think most areas would have similar groups - and that you're more likely to find people you actually like in this manner rather than just looking for a place to hang out.
You are so fortunate to have so many activities for seniors. I'm in the 'burbs of a very large city and we don't have these wonderful things. We have a small senior center (for very old seniors--NOT).

Old 01-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Robyn55,

You make a very good point about driving on narrow roads at night. In fact, one of the concerns I have for my next, and final, home is that shopping be very close and on a well-lit highway. As we become old, who wants to drive in the dark or very far for the necessities--in any city.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 PM

Default Good Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYBob View Post
I live in a 55+ community in central Florida. I'm only 59 but I love it. There are more activities than you could ever partake in. Most of the people you encounter are friendly. I'm 45 min from the Orlando Airport, 1hr 20 min from Daytona Beach, 1 hour from the Gulf Coast, 40 min to the theme parks in Orlando. There also lots of things going around in the towns surrounding us. It's hot here in the Summer but not much hotter than where we come from in Kentucky. Moving here was probably one of the best decisions my wife and I have made.
Do you have to pay the CDD fees? If you don't mind saying, how many homes are in your community? Your locations sounds great!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,391,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Robyn55,

You make a very good point about driving on narrow roads at night. In fact, one of the concerns I have for my next, and final, home is that shopping be very close and on a well-lit highway. As we become old, who wants to drive in the dark or very far for the necessities--in any city.
We do. We love the degree of separation from "civilization."

Old 01-11-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Age of Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, I could try to search out your age, but I won't. But I bet you are close to 60 or younger. When you are 80 someday, it will definitely be a different story. But then, maybe you won't mind moving again. I would. I want this to be my last move, if at all humanly possible. (Hopefully, no nursing home!)

Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Well, I could try to search out your age, but I won't. But I bet you are close to 60 or younger. When you are 80 someday, it will definitely be a different story. But then, maybe you won't mind moving again. I would. I want this to be my last move, if at all humanly possible. (Hopefully, no nursing home!)
Actually, I'm 65.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,430,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You are only 65 - my age and younger than my husband. A senior by a matter of weeks or months. My father - who is 93 - still drives - but his driving is limited. Get back to me when you're at least 75 or 80. Robyn

Old 01-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You are only 65 - my age and younger than my husband. A senior by a matter of weeks or months. My father - who is 93 - still drives - but his driving is limited. Get back to me when you're at least 75 or 80. Robyn
Well, my dear, statistically, I won't be around then. But I hope you will.

Months!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:10 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,353,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Exactly. Most women in their late 60's/70s I know can't/won't drive at night on dark roads. My sister-in-law hasn't driven at night since she was 50. I started having real night vision problems, especially with country driving, in my mid 50's. My sister is 62 and has real problems at night - even in the city. I'm OK in the city on familiar roads. Some nights are better than others. Dark country roads - never. And the freeway is very iffy, depending on how well I'm seeing that night. Had been a holy terror on the road in my younger years. Now, I avoid the freeway at night. Would never do cross-country driving anymore - day or night.

Men, it seems, can continue night driving into their late 70's, but after that it's a problem. My Michigan relative (male) is 78. He did drive from Michigan to Wisconsin this past summer and went home at night - through Chicago - eeeek!! I've driven with him at night and it is a bit scary. He made it home, but I hope he doesn't do it again. His younger sister (76) won't drive at night anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement