Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Take Probiotics For Good Health & Aging?
Yes 14 40.00%
No 18 51.43%
Never heard of it 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times

Advertisements

Seems like a waste of good money to me. Just eat normal food: like yogurt, sourcraut, etc and balance your diet. Also helps if you move around and exercise. I suspect taking presc drugs causes people a great deal of other problems and the entire thing just goes out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
I voted "no".

My experience with the whole topic has not convinced me that I need probiotics. Maybe someday; not now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Seems like a waste of good money to me. Just eat normal food: like yogurt, sourcraut, etc and balance your diet. Also helps if you move around and exercise. I suspect taking presc drugs causes people a great deal of other problems and the entire thing just goes out of control.

Maybe you don't have an imbalance of good bacteria (should be about 85%) to bad bacteria (should be about 15%). Maybe you are as healthy as a 30 or 40 year-old with lots of energy and no ailments. If so, good on you!

However, you may want to reconsider if - you crave certain foods (e.g. chocolate, sweets, carbohydrates, caffine). Do you crave sweet foods and drinks? Do you really like your bread, chips, etc.? Studies have found that people who crave daily sweets show signs of having different colonies of bacteria than people who are immune to sweet's allure. People who crave sugar, carbohydrates and yeast are craving these foods because it feeds non-beneficial (bad) bacteria...because there is a bacteria imbalance. Is that you?

You may want to reconsider if - you belch, burp or pass wind (air escaping from your intestines) often. Or you have stomach pangs after eating a meal that gives you a distended (protruding) stomach like a pregnant woman. Is that you?

You may want to reconsider if - your stool (bowel movement) is not a healthy medium to light brown color, well formed and easy to pass. It shouldn't smell too much - have a strong pungent smell. And it should easy be passed in one piece, about a foot long or longer - an exact replica of the internal space of your colon. Is that you?

So....if you crave sweets, carbohydrates, yeast, caffine...or have a tendency to belch and/or pass gas...or have stomach pangs or a distended stomach after eating a meal...or don't have at least a one foot long, medium to light brown colored easily passed poopie stool (bowel movement) that doesn't smell much...then you may want to reconsider whether you have a bacteria imbalance in your gut and intestines.

And...if you do need help in correcting the bacteria imbalance in your gut and intestines you have a choice of eating a LOT of certain foods or getting on a Probiotics regimen. The latter is what a doctor would suggest you do. The latter is what you are given if you have had to take antibiotics for a lengthy time. The latter is what a dairy and cattle farmer gives his animals to keep them healthy. Waste of money? Not by a long shot. Chances are good you might be able to get rid of some of that medicine you're taking for your ailments, which could vanish once your imbalance is under control. It's you health. It's your "life"!

Last edited by highcotton; 01-13-2012 at 01:53 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Seems like a waste of good money to me ...
I just checked $9.95 gets me a 1 pound tin of powder, enough to last us many years.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM

A thought: if taking anti-biotics causes this intestinal imbalance, then it stands to reason meat eaters are getting anti-biotics in their food. Could this be causing some of intestinal imbalances? I'm vegetarian and tend to eat alot of "sour" foods such as kraut. Obviously our genetics have alot to do with this also.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
A thought: if taking anti-biotics causes this intestinal imbalance, then it stands to reason meat eaters are getting anti-biotics in their food. Could this be causing some of intestinal imbalances? I'm vegetarian and tend to eat alot of "sour" foods such as kraut. Obviously our genetics have alot to do with this also.
Beef cattle are not allowed any antibiotics within 90-days of butchering. So their systems are totally purged of any antibiotics.

Kraut is preserved in vinegar. Some kraut is done using a hi-salt recipe, otherwise it will be simple spices and vinegar. The vinegar may have been made from 'mother' [mycoderma Aceti] with is not a digestive enzyme. In most cases all traces of mother have been filtered out before the vinegar was used for making kraut.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Beef cattle are not allowed any antibiotics within 90-days of butchering. So their systems are totally purged of any antibiotics.

Kraut is preserved in vinegar. Some kraut is done using a hi-salt recipe, otherwise it will be simple spices and vinegar. The vinegar may have been made from 'mother' [mycoderma Aceti] with is not a digestive enzyme. In most cases all traces of mother have been filtered out before the vinegar was used for making kraut.
thanx for the info - We are certainly complex bio-chemical organisms and who knows what it is all about.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 PM

A lot of livestock may have elevated hormones [estrogen]; but I do not think that this is related to gut enzymes.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Aging (beyond 50) is the main reason for an imbalance, but eating meats of animals that have received antibiotics may increase the likelihood of an imbalance if it's still in their systems at slaughter. Uh, just so you know 'sour' cream won't do anything good for you...

Last edited by highcotton; 01-13-2012 at 06:49 PM..

Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
No, I do not. A tbsp of apple cider vinegar/day w honey will heal anything.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I just checked $9.95 gets me a 1 pound tin of powder, enough to last us many years.
What is this 'tin of powder'? It can't be live bacteria cultures. Strains? How many CFUs per ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement