Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Take Probiotics For Good Health & Aging?
Yes 14 40.00%
No 18 51.43%
Never heard of it 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times

Advertisements

Do You Take Probiotics For Good Health & Aging?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 12:05 PM

Some of you have mentioned (in another thread) that certain of your family members have lived to ripe old ages. I am convinced without doubt that there is one thing those people all had in common - a healthy digestive tract (gut, small intestines and large intestines).

Without having about 85% of beneficial microorganism (known as 'good bacteria' versus no more than about 15% for bad bacteria) in their gut, small intestines and large intestines there is no way those people would have lived to a ripe old age. As we age our body's natural ability to maintain good bacteria at a 85% level is extremely difficult with modern processed foods and diets we are accustomed to versus that of generations ago. After about age 50 our body's beneficial or good bacteria decreases drastically, which causes all sorts of medical problems throughout the body, literally from head to toe and from heart to skin. The simple answer is to use probiotics. Doing so will eliminate many ailments and medical issues completely.

I think it would be very wise for all 'aging' people (over age 50) to start a probiotics regimen. And if you have taken antibiotics (which kills the good bacteria), it's absolutely necessary...

If you are unfamiliar with probiotics, read up on it. Learn why the word 'Probiotic' stems from the Greek for "in favour of life"! It will almost certainly make a huge difference in [the rest of] your life.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Great posts and excellent advice, HighCotton.

I've taken probiotics for many years. Udo's brand is an excellent one, from health food stores. Or, a good quality yogurt (not the commercial kinds with flavorings from supermarkets, but those found at health food stores) with a variety of cultures in them.

Other sources are unpasteurized cheeses, unpasteurized buttermilk, sauerkraut (not canned, as all the enzymes and probiotics will have been pasteurized/dead), and an overlooked one eaten by the Japanese for centuries, miso (a variety, made from brown rice, or millet, or barley).

You're reminding me to remind my kids about this.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Kefir fruit smoothies (home made), home made yogurt, real kimchi. In a pinch, acidolpholus culture pills. Who could ask for more?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Eek, I draw the line at Kimchi!!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Great posts and excellent advice, HighCotton.

I've taken probiotics for many years. Udo's brand is an excellent one, from health food stores. Or, a good quality yogurt (not the commercial kinds with flavorings from supermarkets, but those found at health food stores) with a variety of cultures in them.

Other sources are unpasteurized cheeses, unpasteurized buttermilk, sauerkraut (not canned, as all the enzymes and probiotics will have been pasteurized/dead), and an overlooked one eaten by the Japanese for centuries, miso (a variety, made from brown rice, or millet, or barley).

You're reminding me to remind my kids about this.
Good for you!

There's a lot of good probiotics available in most drug stores and food stores. I take Renew Life Ultimate Flora 30 Billion 10 Strains that I get at CVS.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Will keep yogurt in my life as long as it's availabe. Never looked to get probiotics any other way. Because we tend toward high fiber, brown rice, wheatgerm...diet never had to think about it.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Eek, I draw the line at Kimchi!!
Kimchi = Nectar of the Gods!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Will keep yogurt in my life as long as it's availabe. Never looked to get probiotics any other way. Because we tend toward high fiber, brown rice, wheatgerm...diet never had to think about it.
Unfortunately yogurt (with the necessary live active cultures) doesn't provide the needed levels or number of strains of probiotics. Nor the ability for the microorganisms to pass any significant number of cultures beyond the stomach into the small and large intestines.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM

Do you have any of these Symptoms of Probiotic Imbalance? (Betcha do!)

When microflora become imbalanced, an incredible variety of symptoms can result. Probiotics have been found to be helpful in easing numerous symptoms and conditions:
  • Abdominal pain
  • Acne, rosacea (chronic)
  • ADD (attention deficit disorder)
  • All allergies
  • All autoimmune diseases
  • Asthma
  • Autism
  • Bad breath
  • Bloating, flatulence, and gas
  • Chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Constipation
  • Cold sores (herpes)
  • Cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Dyslexia
  • Ear infections (chronic)
  • Eczema
  • Emphysema
  • Endometriosis
  • Fatigue
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Food allergies, such as gluten intolerance and sensitivity to sugar
  • Gum disease
  • Headaches, migraines
  • Hyperactivity
  • Infant dermatitis
  • Increased PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome), peri-menopause, or menopause symptoms
  • Infertility
  • Intestinal tract inflammation (chronic enteritis)
  • Irregular bowel movements
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Irritability
  • Joint aches
  • Lactose intolerance
  • Learning disabilities
  • Lowered immune response
  • Lyme disease
  • Nail problems (tinea)
  • Other inflammatory conditions
  • Patchy white areas on skin (vitiligo)
  • Prostate inflammation
  • Psoriasis
  • Sinusitis (chronic)
  • Stuffy nose, increased mucous
  • Thrush
  • Upper respiratory infections (chronic)
  • Urinary tract infections (chronic)
  • Viral infections (i.e. hepatitis, herpes, human papillomavirus [HPV])
  • Yeast infections
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement