Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
For me, I need to remember that just because I run up the stairs, doesn't mean I should be running down them.

Also, stair treads are useful but hitting the bare landing while wearing "socks only" is apparently a no-no! Ask me how I know...

Not yet senior, but no longer have the bones of a 30 year old.
Decidedly a senior without the bones of a 30 year old as well, but also without stairs!

Made sure of that when we bought our retirement home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
For apartment dwellers: Have a downstairs neighbor so if you make a racket while lying on the floor they'll call the office to report a noise complaint and someone will come knocking at your door. If you fall near the remote control or can drag yourself to it, you can blast the TV. That would probably work, too.

I make sure I can hold onto the outside bannister when going up/down the stairs. I also leave unrefrigerated groceries in my car if I have too many bags to carry and just carry them in on another trip.

I always put the camera strap around my neck, even when I'm sitting, because I drop things more, now, especially if I fall asleep while sitting up reviewing photos. (That would be a camera precaution not a LauraC precaution. It's okay if I fall asleep. It's not okay if I drop the camera. That's why I don't have a laptop.)

When supermarket shopping, don't put your purse in the cart seat and then walk a bit away to look at some item. I see people do this all the time especially at the pharmacy counter.

Another shopping tip, find your car keys when you are still inside the supermarket not when you are in the parking lot. You should be able to open the door as soon as you walk up to your car.

If you think someone is going to attack you, stick your finger down your throat and vomit all over the place. No mugger/rapist wants to deal with that.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you think someone is going to attack you, stick your finger down your throat and vomit all over the place. No mugger/rapist wants to deal with that.
No, thanks. I'm far too squeamish to even try that. Besides, We're not supposed to harm ourselves when we're attacked; we're supposed to harm the attacker. Put a bullet down his throat and watch him vomit his bloody innards.

Violent crime in Wyoming is so rare it's hardly worth considering. What we do have of it is almost all the result of arguments and problems between people who know each other. There's no street crime. Yet we're armed to the teeth. Where people have legitimate fears it seems that they're hardly ever armed. I find this a fascinating fact. Statistics do confirm it.

Most people here keep their car keys in their cars. Remember 1950? It's alive and well where I live. We do, however carry cell phones.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For apartment dwellers: Have a downstairs neighbor so if you make a racket while lying on the floor they'll call the office to report a noise complaint and someone will come knocking at your door. If you fall near the remote control or can drag yourself to it, you can blast the TV. That would probably work, too.

I make sure I can hold onto the outside bannister when going up/down the stairs. I also leave unrefrigerated groceries in my car if I have too many bags to carry and just carry them in on another trip.

I always put the camera strap around my neck, even when I'm sitting, because I drop things more, now, especially if I fall asleep while sitting up reviewing photos. (That would be a camera precaution not a LauraC precaution. It's okay if I fall asleep. It's not okay if I drop the camera. That's why I don't have a laptop.)

When supermarket shopping, don't put your purse in the cart seat and then walk a bit away to look at some item. I see people do this all the time especially at the pharmacy counter.

Another shopping tip, find your car keys when you are still inside the supermarket not when you are in the parking lot. You should be able to open the door as soon as you walk up to your car.

Now these are some interesting tips! Never heard any of these before, but they make sense. I do the car key thing anyway, but that's just a natural habit for me I guess.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
This has been around for several years, so you may all know it. On a mobile phone, put in a quick-dial phone number labeled "ICE". ICE = In Case of Emergency, and most emergency responders know to look for this on a mobile phone.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just5 View Post
Additional safety tips for the senior community...a mobile phone should always be placed near an senior individual and if possible phone should be simple enough for the old person to use. It should also have an SOS feature for prompt emergency calls. The phone can be attached with lanyard and can be placed inside their pocket or use it like a necklace. The top mobile list in their phone book should be the top person to contact at times of emergency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
This has been around for several years, so you may all know it. On a mobile phone, put in a quick-dial phone number labeled "ICE". ICE = In Case of Emergency, and most emergency responders know to look for this on a mobile phone.
How old are you?

How old to we need to be to be considered senile fools?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
How old are you?

How old do we need to be to be considered senile fools?
Just what I was thinking, Happy! It's not that I object to the thread or to the various suggestions, which are great for people to whom they apply. I think what irritates me slightly is the implication that if we are a "retiree/senior" (as per the thread title), then these are things in which we would be interested. I am a retiree and a senior (age 69), and not one single idea or suggestion thus far in this thread applies to me.

I am probably less likely to fall than I was twenty years ago because my balance is better now than it was then because of yoga classes and weight work-outs. I am probably less likely to be perceived as a target in public than I was twenty years ago because there is more energy in my steps and I walk faster than I did then because of aerobic (cardio) work-outs. I still climb high up on extention ladders and do exterior painting on two-story buildings.

One size does not fit all. Some folks, it seems to me, are all too ready to acquiesce in their own disability, as if they have accepted that it is bound to happen by age X. Not me.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
See if you think this one is useful.......
While in the shower, do not turn around with your eyes closed unless you have something to hold onto.
If you really can't swear that you do or don't do this, try it next time (cautiously)

Along with that is if it's totally pitch black, don't attempt to walk unaided.Can't see the sense in cautioning against walking with your eyes shut....can't imagine why anyone would do that.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Fire extinguishers. We have one in the central upstairs linen closet (right in front on the floor), one under the kitchen sink (also right in front), one in the garage hanging right next to the door into the house, and one in the trunk of our vehicles.

For those pooh-poohing some of the suggestions: Wait until you are in your 80's or 90's. Just because you aren't doesn't mean other posters here aren't. I'm the youngest of six (fast approaching 65), and I've seen the changes firsthand.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:01 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
How old are you?

How old to we need to be to be considered senile fools?
The tip of having an "ICE" number in a mobile phone applies to all people of all ages. Unless we never, ever go anywhere where's there's vehicle traffic, or natural disasters, that would include you and me.

If you're touchy about your age, what the heck are you doing hanging around in a retirement forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement