Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
...I also read recently that SD is changing dramatically with the oil and gas drilling, and in some areas, housing costs have quadrupled. That may be an extreme example in the country, but a formerly low cost state is rapidly changing in that regard. Lots to consider in a move in a fast changing environment all around.
SD issues are compounded by ND lack of housing. I have friends that live in SD and commute 4-6 hrs to ND to work energy jobs (10 days at a time). This too will pass, as happened 30 yrs ago.

Big benefit of SD is in using it as an income tax free domicile (One overnight required / yr). Very EZ compared to most state. Thus if rents are strong, best to rent your SD house and hit the road! BE CAREFUL NOT to trigger domicile in a high tax state, keep on moving around a bit.

WATER is a big ? in the future. Would you like me to send you some of my 120" of drizzle I get during 285 deary days / year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 07:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Default Another place to consider, NEG

If you can handle the state's constant governmental kabuki and property values (now's a good time to buy), you might want to look at Murphy's, CA. It's a foothill, gold country village with great amenities, a thriving artist colony surrounded by vinyards, forgiving weather and historic charm.

Murphys, California - Queen of the Sierra

Old 02-14-2012, 08:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you can handle the state's constant governmental kabuki and property values (now's a good time to buy), you might want to look at Murphy's, CA. It's a foothill, gold country village with great amenities, a thriving artist colony surrounded by vinyards, forgiving weather and historic charm.

Murphys, California - Queen of the Sierra

Oh thanks for placing me on the San Andreas fault.

Elk Grove looks like a nice place with lots of reasonably priced fine homes.

Also on the fault (probably)

Old 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh thanks for placing me on the San Andreas fault.

Elk Grove looks like a nice place with lots of reasonably priced fine homes.

Also on the fault (probably)
Nope! Elk Grove is a souless subdivision and bedroom community for Sacramento, bordered on the north side by South Sac which is ghetto, barrio and gangsta banger heaven. Good luck getting anywhere during rush hour and I hope you like living in a little box made of ticky-tacky three feet from your closest neighbor with front and back "yards" of the same size.

But whatever floats your boat.

By the way, the foothill, gold country town of San Andreas, a bit north of Murphys, has withstood the test of time since the mid-1800s. Mountains and foothills seem to absorb and withstand earthquakes just fine or there wouldn't be any left. Ya might get a rumble now and again but you won't fall into the Pacific Ocean.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:18 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
I must agree with Curmudgeon about Elk Grove. Lots of problems in that community and not particularly scenic, either.

Murphys is very nice. In many ways, it reminds me of Eureka Springs, Arkansas. There isn't a lot of shopping (if that's what a person likes), though. The nearest department store is 18 miles away, in Sonora (another very nice foothill town)

San Andreas has been in the news quite a bit. As home of one of the Speed Freak Killers, law enforcement have been busy diggin' up bones, in nearby Linden.

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...871e3ce6c.html

Last edited by JGC97; 02-14-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
San Andreas has been in the news quite a bit. As home of one of the Speed Freak Killers, law enforcement have been busy diggin' up bones, in nearby Linden.

‘Boneyard’ yields more victims - Calaveras Enterprise: News: wesley shermantine, 300 human bones, leonard padilla, bounty hunter, linden
Lovely. Leave it to Curmudgeon to place me there.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
By the way, the foothill, gold country town of San Andreas, a bit north of Murphys, has withstood the test of time since the mid-1800s.
Sort of ups the odds, no?

Old 02-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Lovely. Leave it to Curmudgeon to place me there.
Or might be why I didn't recommend San Andreas. Murphy's is a whole different world and the comparison to Eureka Springs is an apt one. They also hold a huge St. Patrick's Day celebration and parade each year. As for the odds, I've experienced several major quakes while living in CA and I'm still alive and kickin'. They're not what the movies portray them to be and unfortunately, San Francisco and Berkeley probably aren't in much danger of joining Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean anytime soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM

173 posts, read 499,467 times
Just want to add that I enjoy these threads also. I'm still looking for a "permanent" retirement place and both Florida and Az would be too hot for me.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 PM

45 posts, read 70,562 times
Well, few places are completely safe. Consider the tornado danger in Missouri, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement