Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 05:57 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

re: one more retirement move

Some of you know I moved last year out of suburbia to another house within a (college) town, which I like very much. In many ways this house I’m in is great but it was not bought with a sense of permanence into old age.

Within the next two years, I want to find some kind of living situation that suits me for older age—for the long haul for the rest of my life. I do not want to live with my kids, and to find what I want I may have to move away from them (out of New England).

I want a housing community that is not based on being old (lol) in the usual way, that is loose enough so I can feel that I don’t have to identify with old if I choose not to, and is extremely easy to get around town with option of senior transport.

I really don’t want a condo or apt in which I have even more of a sense of isolation (I haven’t lived in a building with others since undergrad).

So, I don’t want to own anything again, and I don’t want an apt in a high-rise building. I wouldn’t mind a sort of religious affiliated community of any denomination, if I wouldn’t be required to be religious. I am not the upscale/gated community type, nor would I prefer to live in a mobile home park.

What I imagine is some down-home community of contemporary (leased) cottages where people can interact if they want and not if they don’t feel like it sometimes. If it’s a continuing care village that’s OK and not a bad idea, considering how fast time flies. Anything on either coast is probably too pricey for me, and I do not want to live either in a city or tiny suburban town.

So this is the riddle: where is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:13 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Ork!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM

oops, I forgot - ability to organic garden with others and have social events within the community, too

Old 01-27-2012, 06:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: one more retirement move

Some of you know I moved last year out of suburbia to another house within a (college) town, which I like very much. In many ways this house I’m in is great but it was not bought with a sense of permanence into old age.

Within the next two years, I want to find some kind of living situation that suits me for older age—for the long haul for the rest of my life. I do not want to live with my kids, and to find what I want I may have to move away from them (out of New England).

I want a housing community that is not based on being old (lol) in the usual way, that is loose enough so I can feel that I don’t have to identify with old if I choose not to, and is extremely easy to get around town with option of senior transport.

I really don’t want a condo or apt in which I have even more of a sense of isolation (I haven’t lived in a building with others since undergrad).

So, I don’t want to own anything again, and I don’t want an apt in a high-rise building. I wouldn’t mind a sort of religious affiliated community of any denomination, if I wouldn’t be required to be religious. I am not the upscale/gated community type, nor would I prefer to live in a mobile home park.

What I imagine is some down-home community of contemporary (leased) cottages where people can interact if they want and not if they don’t feel like it sometimes. If it’s a continuing care village that’s OK and not a bad idea, considering how fast time flies. Anything on either coast is probably too pricey for me, and I do not want to live either in a city or tiny suburban town.

So this is the riddle: where is this?
Here it is. You get your own little hut when you become a Carthusian nun.

Carthusian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

But they can't talk, which explains why there are only 75 of them worldwide.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 PM

45 posts, read 70,562 times
Geographic area? I assume you won't want to be too far from New England because of airfare costs to visit your children?

Climate? do you want milder winters than you have now? Will hot summers bother you?

One search term that might help you is "norc" or naturally occurring retirement community.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

But I don't want to be a hermit, I'm into social stuff. Thanks anyway!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLamar View Post
Geographic area? I assume you won't want to be too far from New England because of airfare costs to visit your children?

Climate? do you want milder winters than you have now? Will hot summers bother you?

One search term that might help you is "norc" or naturally occurring retirement community.
i've given up finding a perfect climate, you can't have everything. I don't think I'd want the deep south, only bc of the prolonged heat. But somewhat south, ok. The kind of community is more important. Virginia/Blue Ridge Mtns still draws me, so I'm searching a lot online there and have visited but have not found a retirement "community." I am familiar with norc, but I'd want something more structured around a physical "village."

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
senior living, Becketwood Cooperative Home with cottages... (MSP... brrrrr)

We (locally in PNW) are having a community meeting this weekend regarding your topics (cottage community w/ gardens / community space with commercial kitchen greenhouse and guest qtrs,)

Uplands might be for you (not me, I had a rotten visit) Home

The pic show old cogers, but there are plenty of 55 - 60 yr olds in each place. Generally they are MARKETING to the older folks who are past their prime to really take advantage of the community. (And most DO WAIT TOO late...) Undoubtedly they all proclaim; "best place I've ever been, wished I would have done it years ago..." (I have interviewed many).

I am a 'Homestead' kinda person., but I will definately adhere to a broader community experience... I.E. small town / stores / food / services... Rural Cooperative Housing for Older Adults: An Emerging Challenge for Extension Educators

My dad had a GREAT village to age in... A State VA Home (several levels of care). Bus service every hour, free senior passes for Bus and Ferries, stores, dining halls (all open to the public), beautiful grounds / view of Puget Sound, QUIET (Except for Ferrie whistle every 2 hrs) Are you a VET?

Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM

447 posts, read 495,984 times
Your concept is closer to an Intentional Community. There is a nice directory for IC that has rich info in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement