Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:12 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have had wanderlust since age 1...
so...

(suggestion only )
  • Keep the job and use vacation days to ' fly/drive' on and around 3-4 day holidays.
  • Use time without pay as possible / allowed. (currently I am gone 2 weeks / month (Temp gig for last 3 yrs). I am doing 30% Vacation/ 30% Leave without pay, and 40% 'working remotely')
  • Seems you have a few regions... You can rent an RV, or have your own delivered there so you have wheels when you arrive. (I will deliver it for a $89 flight home!)
  • Take the 'red-eye' home on the morning you need to be back to work. (I did this often when working in Spain... train arrived on Monday Morning. about time to go to work.
LOL!! thanks, that is very practical advice!
Putting on my finance hat, any job has almost an infinite rate of return, when compared to no job, ergo living on dividends and interest (). My division of bigco is doing its best to make things a little uncomfortable for the employees in general, the better to encourage them to think about leaving. They've clamped down on working remotely. "Butt-in-seat" is the operating model at the moment. Hopefully not forever.

Red-eye is a great idea, have done it on CA trips and sucked it up going from airport straight to work - a circumstance with which I'm sure you're even more familiar. (Given your travel schedule and work schedule, across multiple time zones, how could you not be a seasoned veteran of airport-to-work, lol!)

Thanks again for the great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 05:10 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
jrkliny, I remember reading one of your other posts, where you recounted your two years of wandering after you retired. It was a photography trip, if I remember correctly. You were visiting National Parks.

I don't mean to be nosey, it's just that I get my kicks (at the moment) from reading about others' adventures.

Can you tell us where you are planning to go this time? Thanks!
I am getting a late start this year due to family issues. I have a family reunion in Salt Lake City in mid July. I am thinking of visiting some mid western cities along the way...places we used to live but have not visited since. Then I will stay in Yellowstone for a week or so. SLC will be hot so that will be a quick trip and then return to YNP and then on to Glacier, if I have time. I need to be in San Fran in the end of August for another family event. Before hand I would like to travel down the Washington, Oregon and NoCal coast. September through November I will visit the national parks in southern Utah. I will probably swing through New Mexico since I have barely seen any of that State. I will be back on the east coast for the Christmas holidays. This time I will leave the camper ready for travel and make a mid winter trip to the Everglades. After that it will be time for my first trip to Europe....not camping.

If I understand you are debating staying employed versus your desire to travel. I can only add that I wish I had quit work and started to travel earlier. I sold the house and moved the junk to a storage locker. My costs while traveling were much, much lower than I had anticipated.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:07 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am getting a late start this year due to family issues. I have a family reunion in Salt Lake City in mid July. I am thinking of visiting some mid western cities along the way...places we used to live but have not visited since. Then I will stay in Yellowstone for a week or so. SLC will be hot so that will be a quick trip and then return to YNP and then on to Glacier, if I have time. I need to be in San Fran in the end of August for another family event. Before hand I would like to travel down the Washington, Oregon and NoCal coast. September through November I will visit the national parks in southern Utah. I will probably swing through New Mexico since I have barely seen any of that State. I will be back on the east coast for the Christmas holidays. This time I will leave the camper ready for travel and make a mid winter trip to the Everglades. After that it will be time for my first trip to Europe....not camping.

If I understand you are debating staying employed versus your desire to travel. I can only add that I wish I had quit work and started to travel earlier. I sold the house and moved the junk to a storage locker. My costs while traveling were much, much lower than I had anticipated.
jr, you are sssssoooo right! My quandary is whether to keep the ol' nose to the grindstone, or to take off. Factors against taking off: 3/5 of the entire retired population I know in real life (yes - that is a total of five retired people I converse with weekly in person and in real life) say that retirement is overrated. OTOH, since I'm still speaking with them, that means they stayed in Greater DC Metro. I'm thinking if they had taken off, they could well be singing a different tune. NOBODY, but nobody, with any sense sticks around here, in the jobs mecca, after retiring. Going to a "Meet-Up" event in the evening that is seven miles away requires two hours of round trip travel. I'm thinking if they were outside of commuting radius, they would not have that concern. In my case, if I'm going to stick around, around traffic, it will be because I'm being rewarded for it (e.g., pay check).

OTOH, taking off early WOULD be survivable until SS kicks in, in five years. Provided that I watched my personal balance sheet as carefully as you do. One of the points in favor of taking off: the posters I have read say it is a more cost-effective way to live. I'm in favor of keeping expenses low! lol.

I'm such a wimp, lol! All signs point to "STAY PUT" - primarily from people who have taken the early out and now regret it.

Of course, in common with many of the posters on C-D who post on this topic, I may well have no choice in the matter. My bigco is going through some - errr - "changes", lol! "Changes", when they emanate from C-Levels, are rarely on the plus side for those of us who work for a living. Lots of platitudes about "revitalizing the company with new ideas". That's corporate-speak for "Out with the Old (people), In with the New (younger people)".

jrkliny, any chance you might start a blog about your travels so that more of us could benefit from your experience? It is my understanding (researching the matter) that the top 10% of frequented blogs (that are updated, that have ez-contribution buttons) earn their owners $200K/yr. THAT is my aspirational level, when it comes to retirement income, lol! My particular interest is to develop a one year itinerary, so I can limit research to the places on it and beside it. Otherwise, I wind up researching a black hole with no end in sight, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:55 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I don't know any people who are retired and sitting around the house unhappy about being retired. I wish I could have retired earlier but almost until I retired I had a daughter in college chewing through a lot of money. You need to consider your finances. I should have retired a bit earlier but I did not want to cut the finances short. No way did I want another job after retiring, especially a job that would pay less than my previous job.

I won't be writing a blog. Working to be a top blogger and earning $200/yr is not one of my goals. I did post photos on some of the photography websites. I even started one of my own that is now terribly out of date (Special Places Photography). Recently I have started posting on Facebook but that is just for a few friends and family. Plenty of people retire and live in an RV fulltime. The number of fulltimer RVers is around a quarter million. You might want to look at the RV.net forums.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
jr, you are sssssoooo right! My quandary is whether to keep the ol' nose to the grindstone, or to take off. Factors against taking off: 3/5 of the entire retired population I know in real life (yes - that is a total of five retired people I converse with weekly in person and in real life) say that retirement is overrated. OTOH, since I'm still speaking with them, that means they stayed in Greater DC Metro. ...!
You need to find some 'other' retired friends! >>> I find it UNDERRATED <<< much more to do and enjoy in retirement than 'showing-up-to-work' (and I had a terrific job with great co-workers (idiot top level bosses during last 10 yrs after 'founders' died)).

1) When you 'make-the-break' get outta Dodge City (Metro DC). of my 50+ co-workers who took an early out... Those who LEFT the region made a much more lucrative / effective transition and got on with a NEW life! (by choice).
2) It is fine to stay put, but only where YOU desire / can afford.
3) Because I am a farmer / hoarder due to ALL the family heirlooms (generations of Pioneer homesteaders)... I do the 'hybrid-model'... (keep a CHEAP / LARGE shop with apartment as home base / storage / retreat <$20k to build) and can live 'where-ever' including RV or international. There will always be a home... it is not an all or nothing for me. (by choice). My 'tenants' / boarders keep the lawn mowed and dogs fed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement