Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/us...?_r=1&emc=eta1

The above referenced NYT's article is well worth reading.
So he had five kids he obviously could afford to have, and now sponges off the taxpayers with his EIC (welfare for the working) payments and whines he can't make ends meet? And this is my fault and/or my problem because... ?

Barbara Nelson is delusional if she thinks the problem can be fixed with the cost of five cups of coffee a month. If it took $10 a month to guarantee I'd get a SS check, I'm all for it. But even a 1/4% tax increase will cost me more than double that--with no guarantee I'll see any of it again.

There is so much waste in our government that until it's fixed, NO NEW TAXES. BTW--I didn't like W. I think he's one of the stupidest puppet presidents we had to suffer through and blame him and his back pocket cronies for a good part of the mess we're in--but far from all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,259,724 times
I just thought the article had several items that were interesting and germane to the discussion. While not particularly a fan of W, any president can hardly be held as THE cause of specific Federal policies or laws. I suggest that responsibility rests with the Congress (the folks who won elections and actually create the laws).

PS - off topic aside Anerk, I know you appreciate high quality hotels - try the Marriott in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Its worth the cost.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,059,788 times
Mircea is the only one who addressed the OP. Folks, it is a matter of the math, not politics. The sooner we accept that, put down the demagoguery and fear - which arise from the same place in one's heart - the sooner this country can make progress.

Otherwise, we are going to continue to round and round; down the drain.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
I just thought the article had several items that were interesting and germane to the discussion. While not particularly a fan of W, any president can hardly be held as THE cause of specific Federal policies or laws. I suggest that responsibility rests with the Congress (the folks who won elections and actually create the laws).

PS - off topic aside Anerk, I know you appreciate high quality hotels - try the Marriott in Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Its worth the cost.
I wasn't aiming my remarks towards you Pilgram--you were just the messenger.

I agree that no one president is the cause, although I do believe that while W was in office cronyism was running rampant in Washington--in Congress as well.

In all honesty we need a clean slate of leaders. We need to remove Congressional perks. Congressmen should be paid a wage plus health care while in office, just like the rest of us. No more pensions, let them contribute to a 401K with a 3% match that rises to 5% in the second term, but never goes higher. (They can argue amongst themselves which of their crony companies gets to manage it.)

No more lifetime health insurance, no more pension after a few years in office, no more dependents not having to repay student loans, no more anything. And like ALL Federal employees they should be held to the $25 gift rule. No more junkets. If there's a legitimate business reason to go someplace and the GSA approves it, let them fly commercial and sleep in a Holiday Inn like the rest of us commoners.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times
I retired recently. I plan on 50% of our estimated Soc Sec, though I've read countless articles that we'll receive at least 70% with no reduction for many years (decades) to come. But we'd rather be safe than sorry, looking for work when we're 70, 80 or more would be hopeless presumably.

Medicare is a bigger problem, but I haven't seen as many projections as with Soc Sec. Medicare is the more pressing issue to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Medicare has already been cut 500 billon in the new heathcare law funding.I expect SS to face cut with the represent funding unless changed. yes I do expect it to have cuts as warned just last year.The trustees estimate in will face a automatic across the board cut to 70% in coming years as reported last year.Medicare is in worst shape and hard to so called "Fix".

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Medicare has already been cut 500 billon in the new heathcare law funding.I expect SS to face cut with the represent funding unless changed. yes I do expect it to have cuts as warned just last year.The trustees estimate in will face a automatic across the board cut to 70% in coming years as reported last year.Medicare is in worst shape and hard to so called "Fix".
And just where have you been? You've been missed. As for some cuts, probably over time. But to what degree and for whom remain the questions.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I have been every busy ;thanks for asking.Hope ;your holidays were good and wishing you the best in the new year.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
I have been every busy ;thanks for asking.Hope ;your holidays were good and wishing you the best in the new year.
Thank you, and you as well on all counts.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,404,962 times
Quote:
Remembering the DC working definition of "cut" remains increase less than originally planned. I haven't seen any estimates from CBO or anyone else pretending anything would be cut as anyone outside the Beltway define cuts.

We'll see what really happens in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement