Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:09 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
And who said

"The older I get the more I know, that I know nothing"
Bertrand Russell (18 May 1872 – 2 February 1970), a British philosopher and social critic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:58 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One Hundred Years sent me looking/listening. Nice song. Two of the age related message songs I like are Franks Sinatra's It Was a Very Good Year and Willie Nelson's These Are the Good Times.

Much of it because my life has been a good and relative easy one especially after age 25.
Soon after my Dad passed 'Aniticipation" by Carly Simon was playing.

These are the good old days. No mistake. This is your ship and it has come in. Harm none, do what ye will with it.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:50 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Default second thoughts

I guess its just this time of year, I always seem to get a little sad , a little looking back maybe too much , but I do anyway !..I remember the choices I made 40 years ago , what I have thought more and more with every passing year for the last 20 may have been the wrong ones. No i was not twenty , but I was 30 with a really big decision to make, which girl should I choose, for better or worse....There were two, both were putting on the pressure, I loved them both, I hated what I had to do., but I did it in spite of my gut feeling to choose the other woman.

They say looking back is not always a good thing, it can bring up so many of those feeling you thought were gone. The advice from others was the reverse from what this thread asks , or maybe had I not had any advice at all I would have picked the one I wish I had today . Second thoughts ? I had those a long time ago, but not always, not every day ,just every time I got out that old faded picture of two "kids" with wide smiles walking the sand on the Gulf of Mexico....Yes, I start looking back with a ache in my heart and a sorrow in my eye..... just once more , every year about this time.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:31 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,416,430 times
Don't be afraid to stand up to your parents/family. They are not always right, no matter how much they claim to be. They don not always have your best interests at heart, even though that is what the culture tells you

21 is not too late to start over! 30 is not too late to start over! Jeez I felt soooo old by the time I was 21....

Old 12-07-2013, 12:24 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
In whatever realm of life it may be.....

Also, if you could have a vision of what a perfect (but reasonable) world looks like, what would it be? (just curious as to what kind of attitude/desires/beliefs you wish your fellow travelers among humanity would mostly adopt, regardless of whether it will happen or not).
Weird. I'm definitely not a touchy-feely-type person. But when I saw this, the first thing that popped into my head was John Lennon and his lyrics to Imagine.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Why not ask your older relatives about these things now, before they are gone?! Someday these things might be important to you - as I learned the hard way.

Listen carefully to your elders. Ask questions. Be an amateur historian and try to reconstruct their lives. You will learn things about yourself through this exercise. It will bring you closer to your parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents. You will learn where you came from.
I totally agree with this. I began doing genealogy last year and so much regret not having talked to relatives about their lives and family histories before they were gone. My mother is 92 and I ask her questions and have learned a lot, but she and I both regret the missed opportunities to talk to other relatives.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
(1) It's what you know but also who you know. Savor those introductions that your parents or other make for you.

You will be fine and lead a happy life!
The only thing I would add to Bette's number one above is that it is who you know and what they think of you. Maintain your personal and professional reputation so that those who do know you will want to put your name forward, introduce you, etc

Old 12-08-2013, 03:18 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Get better grades and stop playing those damn video games. You're sabotaging your future. These grades and the whole institution of learning are more important that the amount of time I'm giving them. To anybody still in high school or younger reading this, that means YOU.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post

I'm glad Kenny Chesney wrote 'Don't Blink' and Five for Fighting wrote "One Hundred Years"
I love that song! I like to play the video on YouTube. It makes me sad, though. It's about the brevity of life.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Years ago.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
The only thing I would add to Bette's number one above is that it is who you know and what they think of you. Maintain your personal and professional reputation so that those who do know you will want to put your name forward, introduce you, etc
Personal story about this:
When I was in high school, my dad lost everything due to a business deal. I had to go to work to help support the family and work 2 jobs and be pulled out of private school.

People didn't talk about what was going on financially then and there was a lot of pressure on me. Boy, I wish back then this forum had existed.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of decades later. One of my friends from those private school days had been in touch - a lot. I had always kept up with her and vice versa. She had graduated from the U of P and gotten married. I had gone to her wedding. We both had 2 children by then. (She actually became my sponsor for Junior League - back then, you needed that).

One time she asked why I left the (private) school. I told her. (I did tell my dad later I had told her but this was in the 1990's and people were more open). The next time we had lunch, she told me her dad would have paid for me to continue going to the private school. A huge regret on my part that I could not pursue that but at least, it was nice to know. My life would have definitely been different in a good way; I have always felt it was derailed.

EDIT: Even those I've had to work a lot harder and much longer hours than if the above had happened, I am grateful for what I do have. I was doing a "what if?" but it sure would have been nice if there had been a scholarship. I just loved that school.

Last edited by Bette; 12-08-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement