Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 04:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times

Advertisements

Stay out of the sun. The tan fades but the wrinkles last a lifetime.

Don't be afraid to reinvent yourself. You will either change voluntarily or it will be forced upon you. Don't be afraid to change.

Travel as much as you can and do as much as you can while you are young. No one knows for sure how old age and retirement is going to treat them.

Work is not your life. It finances your life.

Don't rush in to children and marriage. Make these decisions in haste, powered by hormones, and you could regret them for the rest of your life. What you think is a great idea at 20 may lose a lot of it's luster after a decade of diapers and waking up to the same face every day.

Be a lifelong learner. Learn something new every day.

Choose to be a positive person. You will be much happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 PM

363 posts, read 817,712 times
To continue to water the money tree that was in my dad's backyard. No seriously, I wish someone would have told me to save my money. Went through a lot of it when I was in my twenties.

Last edited by akatrk; 02-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 02-11-2012, 09:18 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatrk View Post
To continue to water the money tree that was in my dad's backyard. No seriously, I wish someone would have told me to save my money. Went through a lot of it when I was in my twenties.
And in your 30s, 40s,fifties.......Then one day I woke up and I was old!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:13 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Never marry ... I'm too much of a loner! Of course, I'm not married now, and that's a good thing.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
To be honest, at 20 I wouldn't have listened.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM

176 posts, read 350,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
To be honest, at 20 I wouldn't have listened.
But not many would have asked either. He is.

My 2 cents @ age 40-something:

Come to be hyper-aware of needs versus desires or wants.

The modern world's economy is based almost entirely on artificial desires. People are manipulated into spending and going into debt to get psychological relief from wants created through advertising, desires that can be enslaving.

The fact is, one needs few things - food, shelter, clothing, etc. So many people lead miserable lives because of the debts and/or lacking of savings that come with buying way too much house and car or other similar spending that's truly not necessary.

In a modern capitalist state system real freedom must be purchased- you must buy your freedom and that means building up enough savings so that you have autonomy to e.g., leave a ****ty job, move to a new country, change careers, etc. It is much better to be "poor" but free (due to large savings) then to be "rich" but in fact trapped by debts and obligations.

Keep in mind a favorite quote from Socrates (Plato, ~300 BCE): Luxury is artificial poverty; contentment is natural wealth.

Last edited by df175; 02-12-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
I'd appreciate some authentic responses
some of my favorites so far: Thanks for all of your good insights and useful experiences
...live below your means (LBYM) (BTDT,,, even as retiree)
2) Insularity is a huge problem, both in intellectual and day to day living.
be aware of the addictions and the diseases or health problems that run in your family
live your faith
don't allow yourself to be rushed into big decisions
trust your instincts
1) Be very careful who you marry. This will set the tone...
4) Try to remember that life is short so set out to have adventures and enjoy the journey.(even when it is not so enjoyable...I was a caregiver for a disabled parent long before age 20, and for 30+ yrs)
..enjoy .. current lives, and not overly plan for the future. (heed this)
--Give a hand up those who struggle
And live, laugh, love!
--When you have empty times in your life, fill them by learning basic skills.
Choose a healthier life style, Many of us suffer chronic disease / illness due to poor choices earlier in life... IT'S NO FUN
See if you can manage to live on 90% of your take home pay > I lived on 50% < traveled CHEAPLY a lot
who knows what it may look like when you reach retirement, if there is such a thing then?
Cultivate friendships with people who make you laugh - a lot.
Don't be afraid to change. (Seek / Embrace Change when it is time to do so)
Travel as much as you can and do as much as you can while you are young. (BTDT)
Work is not your life. It finances your life. good advice I got when age 40 and seeking to retire pre 50, "Take the best positions / pay that will enhance your life and expedite your retirement date"
Be a lifelong learner. good habit / activity. This comment is the ONLY thing I am proud to see on my performance reviews
People are manipulated into spending and going into debt...desires that can be enslaving. This is the truth... our possessions can OWN us and ALL of our time. Think of what is important for TODAY and will NOT be a burden to care for / sell tomorrow, and your desire for 'stuff' may get a reality check

Know when to say NO, or ENOUGH, or TIME FOR A CHANGE

Old 02-13-2012, 12:19 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
That most of what you've been taught in public schools was lies. That's it's down to you what you make of your life. That those who ask for volunteers are being paid well for what they do. That the game is rigged and all you can do is find some way not to play it. That you can't trust anyone but God. And always try to have a positive outlook...

Old 02-13-2012, 05:48 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I needed to make my own mistakes and learn from them. If you spin it another way, what advice would you give a 20 y/o and would you expect them to listen?

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM

156 posts, read 387,930 times
Become familiar with the Desiderata poem and remember some of the lines when you are feeling down. The subjectivity of living is what makes your existence unique and one of a kind. Try to remember that time only seems to pass slowly when you are looking ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement