Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:50 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

I wish I had had a better insight into the "downside" and the "dirty tricks" of corporate and organizational behavior before I chose to major in Business; also a better understanding of how tax laws and the machinery to enforce them were structured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
What I had said back in 12 remained true.......if anyone is interested back one page.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:50 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
In whatever realm of life it may be.....

Also, if you could have a vision of what a perfect (but reasonable) world looks like, what would it be? (just curious as to what kind of attitude/desires/beliefs you wish your fellow travelers among humanity would mostly adopt, regardless of whether it will happen or not).

-avantgarde
20yr old male realizing that Murphy's Law isn't a joke, and I now realize how alone everyone really is in this world, but this isn't a sympathy-seeking question and I'd appreciate some authentic responses
The one bit of advice I turned down at an early age was do not marry her. Wish I would have taken that advice as years later it got ugly and expensive to end it.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I'd say to listen and give more thought to those who lived and learned the hard way in their lifes.That is very difficult generally for younger people and advise too easily not given serious thought to.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,790 times
I would have concentrated on an education in my 20s that would have lead me to a high paying career. I would then would have lived well below my means, saving most of my money, and retired early.

I did not do that. However, I did make a big transformation in my life at age 40. I was a typical American with several credit cards, all had running balances. I saved very little. I went back to school at age 40, and finished a two year degree in 1 year and 1 quarter. I switched from low paying customer service jobs with rotten working conditions and hours to a high paying IT job with good working conditions and good hours. All the credit cards were paid off. A 15 year mortgage was paid off in 10 years. We lived below our means after that. We were able to save a lot towards retirement in two decades.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:53 PM

528 posts, read 823,584 times
Stay in school, the longer the better.
Do everything in moderation.
Guy should not get married before 30, 32 is better.
Girls should not tie the knot until maybe 25.
Do not try and keep up with the Jones.
Bigger in NOT always better.
The decisions you make today could effect your entire life.
Live your life for you, not the job.
If you have more than two credit cards balances you may have a problem.
Buy a house, rent is for suckers.
Be happy.
Help those who need it when you can.
Friends are over rated, do not lend them money.
Don't live in the past, if you screw up learn from it and move on.

I remember my father telling my brother and myself most of these when we were young and stupid. Looking back I did pretty well, I'm happy.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I wish I would have been told that the age old opportunity society whereby middle class people could become rich simply via hard work was on the wane, and that if I wanted to achieve that, I'd need to be a superstar and master certain "class" elements of yore. I may or may not have been able to groom myself to that level, but simply the effort to proactively groom myself thus would have helped me immeasurably in achieving my life goals. As it stood, I really thrashed around through my 20s and 30s, awakening quite late to how things really worked.
Not much has changed except for those who always hang out too long while others worked hard at prep for adulthood. Same ole story if your older you hear from so many.I'd say now days it more middle class going to riches never seen before in large numbers.Its just that fewer seem to take learning as serious in life until they have hung out too long like a teen.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:13 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,362 times
IO wish someone had told - no, convinced - me that I could have a perfectly good, happy, productive and fulfilling life without ever bringing a child into this world.

Mind you, I love my children and don't regret having had any of them

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,143,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
In whatever realm of life it may be.....

Also, if you could have a vision of what a perfect (but reasonable) world looks like, what would it be? (just curious as to what kind of attitude/desires/beliefs you wish your fellow travelers among humanity would mostly adopt, regardless of whether it will happen or not).

-avantgarde
20yr old male realizing that Murphy's Law isn't a joke, and I now realize how alone everyone really is in this world, but this isn't a sympathy-seeking question and I'd appreciate some authentic responses
This may sound trite, but it's really true. Don't sweat the small stuff....

Old 12-01-2013, 06:00 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Save.
Don't think you have to have "the best" of anything.
Don't look down on the government/civil service worker. At age 40, they can retire and do something completely different with some retirement security, and while 40 seems old to you now, it certainly doesn't once you're there.
Pick your companions and your friends carefully. Role model is a trite phrase, but I find that I can rise to other people's levels, and I can also sink to other people's levels.
There are consequences to everything. That is not to say you can't have fun and spontaneity. Some of my best memories are crazy, spur-of-the-moment events. But some of my worst memories are of the same kinds of events. Pick your craziness with care.
It does not matter where you go to college. It does matter what you do with that period of time in your life. Drinking at the frat house is usually not the best use of your time. Internships and networking (and college football games) are great uses of your time. If it costs more than an estimated year's salary post-graduation, your college investment is likely lopsided and will hurt you during your 20s, when you really want to enjoy yourself.
Don't take out loans you can't pay back. This goes for college, credit cards, cars, houses. If your mortgage payment or your rent payment is more than a third of your TAKE-HOME pay, walk away before you sign. Don't use a credit card. Use a debit card only.
Find a hobby that you're passionate about. Do it all the time.
Read books. All books. Get a library card once you're out of college and use it.

Gotta run. That's a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement