Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
At two years there are only a potential 104 Mondays. Knock off holidays and vacation time, if available, and you're down to the low 90s. You'd be surprised how quickly they evaporate.

I worked 45 years, beginning at an early age, and 25 of them for the organization - our former state - from which I retired. My Social Security was healthy enough for me to retire at age 62 as were my vested pension and life-long medical and dental coverage. My wife worked for the state for 15 years and because we're old-timers, was also fully vested. It all combined to make earlier than planned retirement possible. Another two years and I likely would have been on the raw edge.
I agree that there are not that many working Mondays left. I reached one other milestone at 2 years. At about 5 years, I mentally estimated I could take early retirement up to 2 years before normal retirement, which probably caused the first 3 years to drag. So now if work gets bad for any reason, I feel I can quit at any time.

What would want to make me leave? As the baby boomer wave of retirements hits, many of the higher ups are retiring. I know of one retirement two steps up the food chain retiring this summer and my boss can retire at any time. Who knows what the person who replaces them will be like? I know it won't be me. The new boss could be the second coming of Attila the Hun. Knowing I could leave at any time, makes staying till the end much easier.

Like you, we both have a vested pension and retirement medical benefits. My wife, who took care of the kids and started working later, just vested in the medical benefits. Having double coverage takes a lot of the worry out of medical expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 02:16 PM

560 posts, read 581,473 times
Wonderful stories. Much appreciated. I recently ran into a friend of mine who brought up the time we attended a MLB game. Although it seemed like it was a couple of years ago, it was actually 2006. Then I begin to recall things I did in 2005, 2006 and 2007 by looking at some old calendars, and boy does time fly. I anticipate the last few years I have left before retiring will fly by as well. For me I think the key is to enjoy living life at "the present" as some have touched on. Luckily for me this can be achieved even with my current employment which at times can be a challenge. I'm grateful that the big prize we call retirement awaits as it will be the driving force to finish the last few working years strong. Have a great weekend everyone (for those still working) and those who are retired enjoy your retirement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement