Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:24 PM

560 posts, read 581,473 times

Advertisements

For those who have retired I am curious to hear your stories regarding the years preceding retirement. At what point did you begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel? 5 years? 1 year? Would you have done anything different to make time go faster? What advice would you give someone still in the workforce? I currently have a few years left, 6 years to be exact and have a well paying job. A co worker just retired a few weeks ago and being that I have 6 years left before I can pull the plug, it has me thinking alot about retirement. Please share your wisdom regarding your last few years in the workforce. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by RockyCity; 02-08-2012 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
At five years I began to count-down working Mondays since like most, that was not my favorite day of the week. It's amazing how quickly they seemed to dwindle. At three years I purchased a retirement count-down timer. Shortly thereafter I decided I'd had enough and decided to pull the plug two years early. I reset the count-down clock and the days absolutely flew by.

Advice? Take a long look at everything and decide if you really need all of those six years. After crunching the numbers I realized that retiring two years earlier than planned wasn't going to paralyze us financially and my peace of mind and mental health were worth far more than mere money.

I worked hard to the bitter end and that, too, helped the time fly by.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
At five years I began to count-down working Mondays since like most, that was not my favorite day of the week. It's amazing how quickly they seemed to dwindle. At three years I purchased a retirement count-down timer. Shortly thereafter I decided I'd had enough and decided to pull the plug two years early. I reset the count-down clock and the days absolutely flew by.

Advice? Take a long look at everything and decide if you really need all of those six years. After crunching the numbers I realized that retiring two years earlier than planned wasn't going to paralyze us financially and my peace of mind and mental health were worth far more than mere money.

I worked hard to the bitter end and that, too, helped the time fly by.
So true, I find that this makes the day go faster too. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Curmudgeon, please tell me what a retirement count-down timer is? I have never seen or heard of one but would love to get one!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,543,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Curmudgeon, please tell me what a retirement count-down timer is? I have never seen or heard of one but would love to get one!
Here's one:

Amazon.com: Countdown Clock Old Timer's Time to Go Retirement Clock: Home & Kitchen

There are others if you want different features. I know one person who had one and have heard of several others who have them. I just have a formula on my retirement spreadsheet that shows the days/years left (even have an estimate of working days left).

Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM

45 posts, read 70,562 times
I'm using a countdown timer now to show how many days are left until April 1, when I hope to have moved.

Last July I went to Jarusa - Online Calculators, Interesting Gifts, Pranks and Electronic Gadgets, Big Boys Toys, Jewelry, Puzzles, Games, Warner Bros, Funny Movies, Television Shows and People and chose the "how many days until" calculator. I clicked the 'to calculate' button. A web page appeared showing the number of days to April 1, 2012.

I copied the address (url) of this web page and pasted it into my google calendar, creating a weekly reminder. Now every Monday I get an email reminder that when clicked on shows me the number of days left.

It takes longer to tell it than to do it! It's really easy.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Asked and answered above. They're fun!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 PM

HAHA so nifty! I get the feeling that I need to invest in one soon.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
You can get a free one here : TimeLeft - FREE countdown, reminder, clock, alarm clock, tray clock, stopwatch, timer, sticker, auction watch and time synchronization utility.

Months, days, hours, minutes, and seconds

(I have no affiliation with the above.)

Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,275,536 times
Quote:
Curmudgeon, please tell me what a retirement count-down timer is?
I made one and even decorated it for Christmas!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement