Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I have a pretty dysfunctional family (one that I came from, and unfortunately, one I created . . .)
You wouldn't be kidding us about that, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Insist in quality in relationships. And if you do this, you too will find you won't have many of them, here, in the age of beepallepsy and scrolling thumb.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Insist in quality in relationships. And if you do this, you too will find you won't have many of them, here, in the age of beepallepsy and scrolling thumb.
Excellent point. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
I would suggest senior centers and libraries. Book clubs at the library.
Senior centers have lots of activities and also offer travel with others
who are probably single, too.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
I'm also INTJ and find it very difficult to interact with people unless I am "on", as an entertainer. I've been told I'm "weird", overly analytical, and standoffish. I just spent a year and a half with search and rescue and thought I'd meet people similar to myself as I am an adventure seeker - but alas - group politics and egos were so extreme it reminded me of junior high school all over again and I quit. Low tolerance level I guess. I appreciate the suggestions for joining other groups but seriously, I have totally and completely given up on people. It's tough being an introvert and having the rest of the population not understand. Too bad there isn't a local introvert club and then I guess we would all understand one and other, be comfortable, not threatened and could have some fun. Oh well.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:19 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Lunch With Acquaintances - YouTube

Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
group politics and egos were so extreme it reminded me of junior high school all over again

Must be your "J" kicking in on the Meyer's-Brigg. I have similar qualities - think I am a ISTJ.

Portrait of an ISTJ

Hard to adapt and change as you get older - probably best to just try to live with it - it's kind of like your fingerprint/DNA, imo. I could be wrong.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
You can't be like Larry David and be so selective then complain about being lonely, can you?

Who is to blame?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,848 times
what do the letters mean, and how do you find out what letters describe you?

Old 07-02-2013, 03:18 PM

517 posts, read 1,092,183 times
A few links I found:

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keirsey_Temperament_Sorter

I could be remembering wrong because the first test of this type I took was maybe 30 years ago, but I think I may have found it in a library book. Another time a test for these types was administered where I worked by a consultant who gave a workshop.

A thing to keep in mind once you have your scores and are reading about your type is that you may be just barely an I (I = introvert rather than extravert), for example, or you may be an I by a landslide (in terms of the number of questions you answered in the direction of introversion rather than extraversion). For instance, I'm an INFP, and I recall that the I was less extreme for me (that is, I answered some questions E too) whereas the N (intuition rather than sensing) was very extreme.

I think there is also an idea (maybe someone else knows more) along the lines that we have some of the opposite in us but it functions more unconsciously and may be what we find is powerful when we explore it (for some people, later in life?). I know (again, being strong on intuition rather than sensation) that when I've dabble in a painting class, I've found it really absorbing even though (or because?) it isn't my normal thing to focus on these visual details.

Last edited by City__Datarer; 07-02-2013 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement