Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you moved upon retirement, how long beforehand did you search for your new city?
no time; I was born knowing where I would move to 0 0%
0-6 months 5 9.26%
6-12 months 4 7.41%
1-2 years 8 14.81%
2-3 years 13 24.07%
3+ years 24 44.44%
other (please describe) 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:32 AM

327 posts, read 526,719 times

Advertisements

This poll is for people who moved to a new city upon retiring from the rat race.

How long did it take you to determine your new place?

Additional information that would be a good resource as those of us at this stage contemplate our options and preferences:
  • What was most helpful to you during your search?
  • Did you pick someplace you lived before?
  • Did you take one or more visits to "trial" the location?
  • For how long did you test drive it?
  • Are you still happy with your choice?
  • Would you/Did you move away again?
  • How long have you been there to-date?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 07:20 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakimono View Post
This poll is for people who moved to a new city upon retiring from the rat race.

How long did it take you to determine your new place?

Additional information that would be a good resource as those of us at this stage contemplate our options and preferences:
  • What was most helpful to you during your search?
  • Did you pick someplace you lived before?
  • Did you take one or more visits to "trial" the location?
  • For how long did you test drive it?
  • Are you still happy with your choice?
  • Would you/Did you move away again?
  • How long have you been there to-date?
Thanks!
Are you writing a book and using us as your focus group?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I listed 3+years. I'm in the early years of retirement, and I can't say I'm someone that could just focus on a particular spot. I don't feel the USA as a whole just reaches out to everyone in the same way, and gives off that welcoming feel we all need. We really need that in life especially as we get older.. We all have different needs so for me its taken longer. Reading Best Places to retire lists are at least for me a waste of time. I think for many people they are a waste of time also. No one size fits all. Someone or one's is probably making quite abit of money from those lists in more ways than one. I am going to leave Oregon in 2 weeks. I am moving not vacationing. I am returning to my roots in New England for awhile. I'm going to take this road trip and visit places and people, and I feel its all going to fall into place during all of this.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:03 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
We started looking about 14 years before I retired. My career had us moving a lot.

We lived in California, thought that we might like to settle there. So we got an apartment complex there as income-property, so we would already have an established base of operations there.

We bought an apartment building in Scotland, while stationed there. Thinking that it was/is such a wonderful location that when I retired the property would have been a great place to settle [or at least vacation to] after I retired. Economics were such that we later sold that property.

We did another one in New England and were there for a few years.

Then another in the PNW.

We tried living in different places, exploring to see if we would like to settle there. In the process we got income-property at each location. Just in case that was the 'perfect' spot.

But there were problems with each of those areas that bothered us. We ended up picking a location where we had never lived previously.

I made five trips here shopping for a location before I finally bought where we are now. We put much more thought into our final location, then we had any of our previous properties.

We came here in 2005.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Are you writing a book and using us as your focus group?
Thanks for the compliment! I'm often told I should write and publish, but - alas - have never much been called towards that.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Reading Best Places to retire lists are at least for me a waste of time. I think for many people they are a waste of time also. No one size fits all.
Agreed! They never take into account MY criteria...and why would I pick something based on someone else's?!?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM

forest beekeeper, interesting experiences! Very different from our lives up to now, so I will have to reflect to see what I can apply from it to our situation.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Made the decision to retire ABC - Anywhere But California about 10 years out. Began general research and a winnowing process five years out and specific, directed, narrowing research about three years out. Stayed in place for a year after retirement to adjust to living on a pension and Social Security then made the move to our final choice. That was going on three years ago and we have absolutely no regrets. It's not a decision to be made lightly or on a mere whim.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
I knew I wanted to stay in Texas but not in the Austin area so I spent some weekends driving around to different areas and spending the day in the small rural towns. Took me a little over 2 years to pick a place that "felt right".

I'm now here a little over 5 months and have no regrets about my decision.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
We were living and working in Houston and grew to learn we wanted to leave Texas once retired. We consulted a financial planner 5 years out from our projected date to understand what we could afford, budget-wise in retirement, as we knew real estate was more expensive in places we liked. After all, there was no sense in getting our dreams together if they were unrealistic. Fortunately, years of disciplined saving put us in reasonably good shape. With our budget in hand, over the next five years we began exploring places on our short list. Two years before we retired, we found Philly unexpectedly set off all the bells on a visit here. We then concentrated our research and visits on Philly and put a plan into motion to sell the house along wither nearly everything in it and re-locate north once those two years passed.

The result: within a 3 day window, I retired, we closed on our Houston house sale and began the drive to Philly. Happy as clams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement