Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM

584 posts, read 1,688,363 times

Advertisements

I thought that it was safer if cruises embark from Florida or the US instead of Italy ? Any thought ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:23 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
I like cruising. Car wrecks happen all the time, but I enjoy driving and will keep driving.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
I worked for Cunard on a cruise ship ... excuse me, an OCEAN LINER ... for 4 years: the HMS Queen Elizabeth 2. That was between 1994 and 1998.

Met a lot of famous people. Saw a lot of really good nightclub shows. Traveled all over the world, including 3 1/2 month around the world voyage. Ate many a fabulous meal ... and put on a lot of weight ... something that took me a long time to take off through very hard work. Made a lot of good friends, mostly British. Had a couple of scary and/or uncomfortable experiences, too.

I served under Captain Burton-Hall. I am an American but had to join the Royal Merchant Navy, so I have a US Passport and also a British Seaman's Passport. My nickname was "Nigel" because my real name - Mark - was too American sounding to the other crew members. My other nickname was "Seaman Stains" (don't ask!)

Old 02-18-2012, 08:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I worked for Cunard on a cruise ship ... excuse me, an OCEAN LINER ... for 4 years: the HMS Queen Elizabeth 2. That was between 1994 and 1998.

Met a lot of famous people. Saw a lot of really good nightclub shows. Traveled all over the world, including 3 1/2 month around the world voyage. Ate many a fabulous meal ... and put on a lot of weight ... something that took me a long time to take off through very hard work. Made a lot of good friends, mostly British. Had a couple of scary and/or uncomfortable experiences, too.

I served under Captain Burton-Hall. I am an American but had to join the Royal Merchant Navy, so I have a US Passport and also a British Seaman's Passport. My nickname was "Nigel" because my real name - Mark - was too American sounding to the other crew members. My other nickname was "Seaman Stains" (don't ask!)
You'd be the perfect person to captain our Retirement Ship to Nowhere! The one that's assisted living and nursing home in one, with burials at sea.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
River cruising, most definitely Yes! The typical ocean cruise - not interested.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Hubby and I find cruising to be our favorite vacation, but it is not for everyone. We like having everything self-contained . . . and enjoy ports without having to pack/unpack. We don't mingle much w/ others . . . get a balcony cabin or suite, read and chat . . . room service. Piano bar, some dancing . . . not everyone wants that sort of slow motion vacation! But we love it. Very romantic and relaxing.

The Costa tragedy didn't lessen our enthusiasm for cruising, even tho it was very disturbing to know that a captain could cause loss of life by one stupid decision. That was shocking, indeed.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Link isn't showing for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
There's no link posted, Curmudgeon.
It just occurred to me, what you may think was a missing link, besides me that is, was a jpeg of a pair of high heeled swim fins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement