Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:53 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,682,701 times

Advertisements

This isn't somethig new as far as predictions. i have read similar threats from this as well as other diseases. Still its low on the scale as shown from funding.Some actually show other factors such as the increase in vaccines to prevent the spread and of course looking at death from diseases its not taking much of a gain compared to toehr cause of death. Some articles also show that reduced immunity from over use of drugs especailly uncontrolled illegal usage. In many case behavior can cause more usage which leads to reduced effectiveness.As to what yopu eat one only has to look at past standards and the high number of death from uncontrolled food to see that in fact more deaths were caused on a huge scales then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,367,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess we should consider ourselves lucky that we live where we can and do purchase locally raised, grass-fed, Angus beef as well as free-range chicken, neither of which have fillers, preservatives or antibiotics. Not only that but they actually have real flavor. Imagine that!
Yes, ain't it amazing. An egg smells like a chicken and has a great (not strong) taste. Beef tastes like - just as it did when I was a kid.

Imho, it is very critical that dairy (skim milk has great taste, not watery), eggs, meat be hormone/antibiotic free and free range. Not feedlot corn-fed beef (which makes you fat) and cooped up chickens. Grass-fed beef makes a great hamburger. I'm fortunate to have a very reasonably priced organic food store a half mile away. Buy everything there. Started this about ten years ago and noticed the difference in how I felt within a month. About the only thing I don't buy organic is citrus. Even the organic bananas last twice as long as ordinary.

Feeding a family this way would be expensive, but lately I've noticed the prices aren't as daunting as they had been. I'm also doing more cooking from scratch, so that helps, too.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,939,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
About the only thing I don't buy organic is citrus. .
I'm curious why...citrus is sprayed quite heavily...isn't it one of the "dirty dozen?"

As to the OP, I do think this is a big problem with serious implications for easily communicable disease worldwide.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,879,090 times
MRSA is certainly bad, but what I always find interesting is that articles in newspapers typically run articles about threats to us from outside ourselves, like MRSA. IMHO, what people do to their own bodies is, in general, a greater threat to their health and well being. Like What?

1.Being overweight or obese. This condition is a risk factor for all kinds of maladies, cancer, heart disease, PAD, diabetis, etc.
2.Lack of exercise. Think of this. You body's cells depend on oxigen to live and function. Exercise helps maintain a healthy blood flow. But if you have poor circulation, because of lack of O2, your body's cells will get less O2, and therefore decrease in function. I believe that is a major reason why people are more likely to get cancer as they get older. Exercise is beneficial on so many levels, yet I see a very small percentage of the older population getting any. You're more likely to see them stuffing themselves at lunch time, eating, when its clear from their profile, many of them might be wiser to start skipping some meals.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,156,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Look at the bright side: if the elderly start dying because of simple infections, Social Security will be in great shape.
They'll just steal more from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement