Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
waking up is the most important part of my day,I have coffee, read newspapers (on computer) eat a couple of eggs, then I hop on my bicycle and ride about 7-10 miles,then I jump into the pool and swim about 10 laps. then I hop on my scooter and cruise down to the local club (eagles ,amvets,am.legion) and eat lunch,then I scoot home and turn on Bonanza on the tvland channel and take a nap. my evenings are always open for what ever pops up.
I forgot the part of waving to the neighbors when they are leaving for work!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
*clock ticking* ...... counting down to June 4th when I'm 62 and officially joining the ranks of retired people.

I've been "practicing" by waking up at dawn to coffee brewing and watching the sunrise. Knowing the rest of the day is mine to either be busy or simply kickin' back is indescribable. Yep, this retirement thing is gonna work out just fine. Life is SO good!
Ya need ta change habits after that blissful day in June when you pull the plug. No more waking up to coffee brewing. That connotes waking to an alarm so your coffee brews on a schedule. In retirement, no alarm. Setting up the pot for morning coffee is fine but you'll be turning it on at different time depending upon your natural sleep habits.

It didn't take me long to break the daily 5:30 a.m. awakening routine. Now I go to bed anywhere between 9:00 and 11:30 p.m. and arise anywhere between 5:30 and 7:30 a.m.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Yeah, living next to a beautiful cemetery certainly makes me think.
Now that you mention it I do not see why people often hate cemeteries;myself. When i visit the family graves I find it some how satisfying and I get a peaceful feeling whle there. One of the best places I know to go when contemplating anything and wanting to concentrate :IMO.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:43 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Now that you mention it I do not see why people often hate cemeteries;myself. When i visit the family graves I find it some how satisfying and I get a peaceful feeling whle there. One of the best places I know to go when contemplating anything and wanting to concentrate :IMO.
Some cemeteries are really beautiful. I recall visiting Savannah GA years ago and the cemetery was wonderful, so many hundred year old head stones and Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Wonderful photographic opportunity!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Some cemeteries are really beautiful. I recall visiting Savannah GA years ago and the cemetery was wonderful, so many hundred year old head stones and Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Wonderful photographic opportunity!
One of the things that greets me each morning out my bedroom window is a long view to the end of my property line where there is a beautiful French and Polish cemetery on the top of a slight hill, framed by evergreens. The light lands on the headstones so that the view looks like a small city of angels. I always feel uplifted to this, even when it's not a sunny dawn. Makes me want to paint like the pointilist (sp?) Seurat.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Cemeteries are decidedly interesting and each one is unique. We find them all over here; many being family ploys tucked away in the woods that date from the early 1800s, some sooner. Same with church and town cemeteries. We enjoy walking through them on occasion. They quiet and peaceful.

We'll both be cremated and "buried" in a military cemetery about 60 miles from here. Our reservations are already made and we'll be keeping good company at no expense but for the cremation itself and urns. All taken care of. Veterans from every war, including the Revolutionary War, are there already.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
My perfect retirement day:

Rise at 4:40 am, throw on my jeans and t-shirt (I chucked the suits when I retired!), and drive 5 miles to the school bus yard.

Pre-trip my bus and get to the first stop by 6:15 am...do three runs of about 140 kids total....drop the last AM kids and park the bus at 9:30 am. Go home and putter around until 1:30 pm.

Head back to the bus yard and drive to the high school to start the PM take home runs....finish up about 5:15 and if I'm lucky and it's Friday, I head back to the high school to join 5 other buses loading the varsity football team, band, and cheerleaders and head to the opponent's high school. Have a blast at the game and park the bus at around 11:00 pm or later.

I can't believe they actually pay me to have this kind of fun!

Alas, I'm MISERABLE this week....it's Spring Break and I have 10 long days to kill.

Tuesday morning can't come soon enough....I miss my kids!

Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Would be PERFECT if wife was home during the day/during the week, but have to wait 'til the weekend for that......she works a full-time job.

Each morning I get up when she does and sit/talk with her until she leaves for work. Walk her out to car and say "goodbye, I love you".......that happens each and every morning during the week!
Cup of coffee, cereal or egg/bacon or sausage for breakfast each morning. Fix us breakfast on weekends or we go out.
Monday is laundry day for me. Do all of our laundry. Do something around our apt., get supper started.
Rest of week......vacuum, dust, run dishwasher, strip bed/wash linens/put bed back together, get supper started (unless we eat out, sometimes), run errands

My wife doesn't have anything to do with the washer/dryer, dishwasher or vacuum sweeper or re-arranging anything in our apt. I do all of that. I will also clean the floors and wash the rugs when needed. Dusting, done by me as well.

Later she will help with this stuff, but while she is working, I do it all and am very glad to.
DH retires next year and is supposed to do this as well. (Yeah we'll see how that works.) I may still work for a while. How do you stop being a workaholic? You're the perfect house husband, can you train mine for me? I've been trying to house break him for almost 27 years now.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:22 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
We have many perfect days - we are in the heyday of our retirement.

Yesterday we woke up early, read the paper, checked our emails, went out to breakfast, took a long drive out into the country to see the brilliantly green rolling hills, fabulous barns and the darling foals and mares lounging about. Stopped by Trader Joe's and went home to spend a few sunny hours in the garden before it clouded over. Dinner and a movie.

We love cemeteries by the way - the older the better.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We love cemeteries by the way - the older the better.
The best cemeteries are the ones we aren't in yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement