Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
There was an article recently in our local paper about 8 elderly couples car-pooling to the EBT (Food stamp) office on Kauai. 7 of the couples qualified for assistance. Hawaii has a pretty high income level for qualifying, as the COL is so high. The article stated that a family of 4 could have an income of 50K per year and still receive food stamps.

Personally, I'm glad there is a social saftey net for those in need. I wouldn't want to be in my 80's and trying to find enough to eat.
You didn't mention the specifics of the people in the article.

But a family of 4 earning $50k and getting food stamps (now called SNAP) - well GMAFB. Does anyone here think a family of 4 earning $50k a year is poor? Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Think of all the people who benefit from food stamps. It goes far beyond the recipient. There is the farmer and the rancher who can now sell more of his crops and meat because the government is subsidizing the poor to purchase them. There is the grocer who can now sell to people who formerly could not afford to purchase food at his store. Finally, let's not leave out all the people in the chain who process the farmers' food, can or package the food, supply preserving agents and other chemicals that are added to the food, or transport the food to market. Everyone of these folks is getting a "handout" from Uncle Sam too, whether they can acknowledge it or not. Nevertheless, its a good thing. When the country goes into a recession, demand falls (including demand for food) and the government subsidizing demand for food benefits both poor and businesses alike. It ameliorates some of the worst problems in a recession.

Food stamps is more than a welfare program for the poor. Its in essence, a welfare program for dozens of businesses and industries as well who benefit due to higher sales of food. I bet many of the executives go home and night and complain to their spouses about "welfare in America". Its either ignorance or hypocrisy. Take your pick.

I personally think its a good program. The idea of anyone going hungry in a country that is as wealthy as the USA leaves me with disgust.

The real issue here, for me, is that there are elderly people who are so poorly prepared for retirement they have to ask for assistance. There are some things I don't think I will ever understand.
I personally think that's a bunch of cr**. Have you looked at the cost of food lately? I think that there are very few food producers today who need subsidies. And even if they need subsidies - I don't want to subsidize them. Note that I am price-insensitive when it comes to buying food (because I can afford whatever I want to buy) - but I notice prices. To explain - my husband and I don't eat a lot of beef. But when I buy the occasional pound of beef for a spaghetti sauce - I notice the price.

FWIW - I like to make pasta with different kinds of sauces. And the typical dish I make might cost about $1.00-1.50 for a normal dinner portion.

And do you think a family of 4 earning $50/k year should get food stamps? Robyn

Old 03-04-2012, 05:42 PM

530 posts, read 1,340,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

And do you think a family of 4 earning $50/k year should get food stamps? Robyn
Depends on the situation. What portion of the income goes to rent or a mortgage? What about medical bills and health insurance premiums? What about college tuition costs? Heat? Transportation? Yeah, I can easily see where a family of four earning $50k could need assistance. Everyone's situation is different, and you cannot generalize based on income alone.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
If food stamps ceased tomorrow people would still buy food. Unlike cell phones, internet, gas, and even prescription drugs food is not a discretionary purchase. They would sell everything they owned to eat. Only liquor and recreational drugs would take precedence.
Well, this is a pretty simplistic observation. I'm sure if the poor were absolutely down to their last dollar they probably would spend it on potatoes and dried peas. However, the amount and quality of food that people purchase does vary depending upon their means to pay for it. FTR, I would like to see everyone in this country with enough money, or credits, or whatever to eat decently. I'd prefer some food be utterly wasted than that people do without.

In short, the demand for food is not totally inelastic. It is simply more inelastic than the demand for items like automobiles and cell phones.

You probably believe all the poor out there are alcoholics and drug addicts, refusing to work even when jobs are available. I will say based on my experiences this is a huge generalization unsupported by the evidence. My own son looked (and I mean LOOKED) for three months before finding a part time job this autumn. Some people really are down on their luck and I never cease to thank the Almighty that I'm not one of them.

I don't know what the appropriate income level for receiving food stamps ought to be. It certainly is a lot more expensive to live in New York than in Tuscaloosa, Alabama or Meridian, Mississippi. I think states can set income eligibility guidelines much better than I can.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Think of all the people who benefit from food stamps. It goes far beyond the recipient. There is the farmer and the rancher who can now sell more of his crops and meat because the government is subsidizing the poor to purchase them. There is the grocer who can now sell to people who formerly could not afford to purchase food at his store. Finally, let's not leave out all the people in the chain who process the farmers' food, can or package the food, supply preserving agents and other chemicals that are added to the food, or transport the food to market. Everyone of these folks is getting a "handout" from Uncle Sam too, whether they can acknowledge it or not. Nevertheless, its a good thing. When the country goes into a recession, demand falls (including demand for food) and the government subsidizing demand for food benefits both poor and businesses alike. It ameliorates some of the worst problems in a recession.
It's been on the news that more and more that farmers' markets (some of them year-round) are taking food stamps. Low-income families, because of this, are spending more of their food dollars on these growers' fresh fruits and vegetables, aiding local economies on every level. And, with FS recipients not blowing their grocery allotment $ on crappy food at Costco, etc, their health will undoubtedly be better, aiding the cost of healthcare and medi(caid?).

So it's not all bad.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You didn't mention the specifics of the people in the article.

But a family of 4 earning $50k and getting food stamps (now called SNAP) - well GMAFB. Does anyone here think a family of 4 earning $50k a year is poor? Robyn
Not I. Sounds like decent income to me, and foodstamps should not be necessary. But I like Jenny's response, above.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
I think it depends on where you live, as someone else mentioned. $50K/yr for a family of four is fine in my area of NY. But further downstate or on Long Island that family would have a very difficult time making it without some form of assistance (food stamps, rent, etc). In some areas of the country $50K/year is peanuts and not everyone has the means or opportunity to up and move to a more affordable area.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times
Default Probably TMI but here are the basics

Re: the $50,000 figure. Theoretically possible for a household that includes the elderly. The only way I could see this happening is with tremendous housing and medical costs. (There is no cap applied to the elderly for excess housing costs and medical expenses, as there is with the non-elderly.) But for a family of 4?

If an applicant is over the age of 60, the gross monthly income limit is lifted and the resource limit is raised to $3,000. However, the net monthly income limit remains in place. Thus, a family of four residing in Hawaii is still limited to a monthly net income of $2,143/mth. ($1,863/mth for the 48 states and D.C.)

An elderly couple (in the 48 states) with no others living in the household is limited to a net income of $1,226/mth or $14,712/year.

A single elderly household (in the 48 states) is limited to a net income of $908/month or the equivalent of $10,896/year.

FY 2012 Income Eligibility Standards

The process of determining net income is fairly complicated, as it includes certain deductions and depends on age, disability, household size, etc. Here's a brief summary of how it is calculated: A Quick Guide to Food Stamp Eligibility and Benefits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Benefits are based on the amount of net income below the threshold. Although, zero net income equates to a full benefit amount, the minimum benefit is $16/month.

Note: Although some states have temporarily suspended the requirement that the non-elderly work or participate in other job related activities, applicants who are 60 and older are permanently exempted from this requirement.

BTW, when I worked as a poverty attorney, most of my clients were either poor mothers or Vietnam War Vets. The latter were the druggies and alcoholics, not the poor mothers.

If food stamps were cut off, I would imagine families will do what they've always done to survive. Steal, prostitute, rob a bank, and sometimes, I suppose, kill. Whatever it takes to feed your children, y'know?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:58 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,837 times
^^ You're cheating, Lenora, and should be disqualified from the discussion -- you actually know something about this. Completely unfair . . . .

Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM

505 posts, read 716,666 times
Quote:
Well, this is a pretty simplistic observation. I'm sure if the poor were absolutely down to their last dollar they probably would spend it on potatoes and dried peas. However, the amount and quality of food that people purchase does vary depending upon their means to pay for it. FTR, I would like to see everyone in this country with enough money, or credits, or whatever to eat decently. I'd prefer some food be utterly wasted than that people do without.

In short, the demand for food is not totally inelastic. It is simply more inelastic than the demand for items like automobiles and cell phones.

You probably believe all the poor out there are alcoholics and drug addicts, refusing to work even when jobs are available. I will say based on my experiences this is a huge generalization unsupported by the evidence. My own son looked (and I mean LOOKED) for three months before finding a part time job this autumn. Some people really are down on their luck and I never cease to thank the Almighty that I'm not one of them.

I don't know what the appropriate income level for receiving food stamps ought to be. It certainly is a lot more expensive to live in New York than in Tuscaloosa, Alabama or Meridian, Mississippi. I think states can set income eligibility guidelines much better than I can.
1+ My experience with those "horrible poor people" is that the vast majority are just poor. I too know many many people who do not make a living wage, even tho they work. My heart goes out to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement