Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no family left and the friends I could have trusted are dead.. I've set up a pet trust which is not available in every state for my three, two dogs and one cat. I want my pets to go to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. They'll receive good care. I plan to leave most or all of my money to them as well. I do not want them adopted. My seven year old dog has many emotional problems; I hope she's with me the rest of her life. Her friend and hero is twelve. She's never been without both dog and cat companions (she loves cats) since I've had her so there could still be more on the horizon.

Best Friends Animal Society
How are you so sure that some animal society is going to give love and care to your dear pets? What is there is neglect and abuse, and they just take your money for their own profit without actually using it on your pets? I'm skeptical. I'd rather identify a good family and leave the pets and the money to them, although there are no assurances there, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have no family left and the friends I could have trusted are dead.. I've set up a pet trust which is not available in every state for my three, two dogs and one cat. I want my pets to go to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. They'll receive good care. I plan to leave most or all of my money to them as well. I do not want them adopted. My seven year old dog has many emotional problems; I hope she's with me the rest of her life. Her friend and hero is twelve. She's never been without both dog and cat companions (she loves cats) since I've had her so there could still be more on the horizon.

Best Friends Animal Society
I'm doing the same and am confident that BFAS will do the right thing (I have to believe that). Once I finally get moved to CO I plan to drive to UT for a visit. I also volunteered for a rescue group that I questioned many of the placements - lost many nights sleep over it.

I don't know how I have managed to accumulate so many friends that have no concern for animals and I wouldn't trust to leave my best friends with them. All the people I would have trusted have passed on.

As a rescue worker it never ceased to amaze me how many people could ditch their pets when they were no longer convenient.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post
I just looked up pet trusts. I found the following on the ASPCA site: "As of 2012, 46 states plus the District of Columbia have enacted pet trust laws. The states that have not enacted pet trust laws are: Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota and Mississippi. If you live in one of these 4 states, please visit our Alternative Options section for other ways to secure your pet’s future."

ASPCA | Pet Trusts Laws
Well, TG I'm leaving MN.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I have always had a back up arrangement made with family and/or friends for my pets, since I had my first apartment. You don't have to be thinking about your death to make those plans.

I knew a woman who was killed in a car/train accident, and the issue of "who takes her dog" came up . . . and that forever stuck in my mind. So I have people lined up to take my pets in case I should meet an untimely death.

It is something everyone should think about, not just seniors.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
It's good to hear so many are thinking about the 'what if".

But I ask everyone to take it to the next level and think about the steps required to fillfil your wishes. Do you know that most pets of people with pet trust or continuation for care plans, never receive that care? The reason is there is a gap between when something happens to you and your wishes are acted upon. So often the pets are in the care of a stranger or a family members thats not aware of the plans or does not have the authority to act on those plans.

You are in a car accident with your dog. The dog survives but you don't. The dog will not be taken to family or caretakers, it will be taken most likely to a animal shelter where the family or caretakers will need to know to go to get the dog. And if we're talking a emoptional incident, they may not be thinking about the dog only you.

So, you also, besides the continuation of care plan for the pet, have a plan for someone to act immedietely to provide care for the animal until your wishes can be properly acted upon. My neighbors and I have formed a animal care agreement for the purpose of acting on the immediate needs of our pets. This is not about givng the dogs to Uncle Bob, or good friend Betty can have the cats, this is about Jenny & Harry from across the road, or Lisa and Karen next door, or Fat Freddy and Ginger May Lou, 2 houses down, have the right and authority to immediately take possession of the pets and provide care and shelter until such time as the formal needs plans can be acted upon. Does no good to have someone show up to take the pet to where you designated in your will only to find it dead from starvation cause nobody checked on it for weeks, or the trustee finally getting over the grief or shock of your death/accident and realize, oh yeah the pets!!

Make sure someone can act today to provide the care needed now.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:16 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
I've seen this happen a couple times; when an old person dies, the family comes in and immediately either has the dogs killed, or drags them to the kill shelter. So.... talk with your vet and explore your local options. I've made provisions in my WILL for my pets and named the people who have agreed to take the dogs. They get a decent amount of money (which they will need!). I've also made it clear that if at the time I die, the dogs are very old it would be more humane to kill them, then so be it. At this age, I will no longer adopt young dogs but from now on, only get old dogs, at the vet's recommendation, from "estates". That would be nice if vets would find homes for orphaned pets. Good luck. It's cool you are thinking so kindly of your beloved pets.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
But I ask everyone to take it to the next level and think about the steps required to fillfil your wishes. Do you know that most pets of people with pet trust or continuation for care plans, never receive that care? The reason is there is a gap between when something happens to you and your wishes are acted upon. So often the pets are in the care of a stranger or a family members thats not aware of the plans or does not have the authority to act on those plans.

Make sure someone can act today to provide the care needed now.
Excellent point

Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I have made firm arrangements. My main fear is a sudden death on the highway, and I live alone with the dogs, so...
A trusted friend is getting my life insurance and pension. She will take my dogs to the vets' kennel until they can be transported to Best Friends. I have spoken with the Behests person at Best Friends and arranged that the pension money will go for their care and re-homeing (unlikely given their ages). My two dogs from the Rhode Island pound will go to the animal control officer who rescued them, and she has agreed to that. Likely, at least one of my dogs wouldn't be cleared to fly to Utah, and might have to be put down. Anyway, my expectation is that they will be safely kenneled at the vets' until their transport or designated homes can take place. I carry paperwork to this effect in my purse and leave it in my car and have sent copies to the friend, my neighbor, and health care proxy.
Best Friends (and most rescues, I think) will always take their own animals back, no questions asked. It's one reason I like to adopt from B.F. even though they are far away. I have even listed who has travel crates in my basement and where to get more if needed.
It was a lot simpler when I just had my two corgi/collie pups and my friend was married to a dog guy and had a house with a big yard. Everything can change.
Setting up a financial trust is only a beginning, as I understand, someone would have to be the trustee and would take the animal(s). Usually it's not a financial issue, in my observation, but a willingness (or lack thereof, or inability) to take an animal.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 AM

550 posts, read 368,507 times
Default California pets

Since you live in California, you might look at Marin County Humane Society Guardians for Life program: 415.506.6257

Did you check out if Best Friends will try to have your dog adopted or not?

I prefer a program that will house my dog for life as I don't want to worry that my dog might be re-homed several times or be in a less than optimal living situation in a few years if the new owner suffers setbacks either financially or mentally.

Since I live in Texas, I'm using Texas SPCA which has a home where my dog can live until she passes on. It costs $25,000 in advance but now I have peace of mind. SPCA of Texas Note: they currently are not taking in new applicants.

The only other organizations that I know that offers this type of service are some veterinary schools. I know Texas A&M has a great one but it is more expensive. Pet Care | Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine

Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Well, I appointed our ds to be guardian of our pets---however many we may have at the time. I specified $5000 from the estate to go for pet care. He would need that much just for interim boarding, food, vet bills, transportation, pet sitters, it adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement