Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
but I'd suppose the fire, flood and earthquake risks aren't inexensive either
Got a good point here, too. For a very brief moment we considered Big Bear, CA after another poster here told us what good deals can be found there right now. We've had some great times in Big Bear, and the thought of inexpensive homes in California got my heart rated going . Anyway, we looked into it a little. Among other things, we learned they have issues with insurance too, (fire and earthquake hazards--fire is a big problem in the west, especially in the mountains). Insurance companies are now being pissy in a lot of areas of the country. It's sad (and annoying) but after awhile you do start wondering how much you should let it matter to you.

By the way, if you like mountain living I think Big Bear is a great place. We've had some wonderful times there. The reason we're not considering it is that we're beach people and no matter how much we like a place we just can't let go of that inner beach bum. But if we were mountain people I'd put it at the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I for one, am enjoying an opportunity to discuss destinations through the lense of retirement. It's helpful not to have to wade through hundreds of posts about one school district vs. another, sports activities for school-aged children, etc. You don't have to participate in any one thread if you feel it's a waste of your time. I've enjoyed the vast majority of your posts but lately they are getting a bit snarly.
It wasn't a snarly suggestion - it was a serious one. I think the local forums are pretty important - especially for a state as large as Florida. I personally don't find the talk about a community a waste. For example - when it comes to schools - that's important in terms of resale value - and the kind of people who are likely to be attracted to an area.

Also - I think that the local area forums can get into more specifics than the retirement forum. For example - there's a lot of discussion on the JAX forum about CDDs in the JAX area. You're unlikely to find this type of discussion in the retirement forum. Also discussion about public transportation (or - rather - the lack of it) - cultural resources - sports resources (and not only for kids) - etc.

Finally - as far as homeowners' insurance goes in Florida (in terms of windstorm coverage) - it's a mess. It's not only USAA that won't write here. It's almost every major homeowners' insurance company in the US. The few decent companies left either won't write near the coast - or are high-priced spread companies that want hefty minimum annual premiums.

The largest insurer in the state is the state wind pool (Citizens). There are a lot of new start-up companies that are for the most part thinly and inadequately capitalized considering the number of homes they insure. Note that most aren't rated at all by AM Best (they won't apply for ratings there because their ratings would be horrible).

The insurance crisis used to affect only south Florida - but it affects north Florida now as well (largely because of the horrible 2004/2005 storm seasons).

IOW - homeowners' insurance is a legitimate concern for those people considering a move here. On our part - our State Farm Florida premium is still kind of reasonable (OTOH - most people in Kansas wouldn't think it is reasonable at all). So we're keeping the policy - for now. But we would probably elect to self-insure (which we can afford to do) if State Farm dropped us rather than going with Citizens or one of the new start-ups (no "real" insurance company will insure our location).

Here's one of many pieces that describes the current situation in Florida:

Beware of Florida Homeowner's Insurance Companies - Life

Robyn

P.S. State Farm Florida is no great shakes. Its AM Best rating is B- (Fair) and its outlook is negative. But at least it's substantial enough to have an AM Best rating.

P.P.S. I'm not familiar with the insurance of coastal barrier islands in Georgia or the Carolinas. But I doubt the insurance situations there are any better than what we have in Florida.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Didn't think of this before as a forum post although I think of it often. The NC beaches can be ugly for arthrits between November-March/April. Cold winds off of cold water are killers for arthritis. One of the benefits of having two homes is I can escape when it gets bad and see my accupuncturist routinely back at the other place. 5-7 days at the beach and I need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement