Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
There are many books at your local library that deal with retirement. Also Amazon and Barnes & Noble has a section on various places to retire with regard to "low tax" towns, "America's Best Places to Retire," Bert Sperling's Cities Ranked & Rated." These may not have all your cities in question, but perhaps some of them. Also "Where to Retire Today" mag has a list of back issues and which cities they cover. You can order out of print mags from them for a nominal fee and some of their articles are in depth. Don't simply rely on the City-Data for all your info. Also, sometimes you can read the local papers on-line.
Thanks, and yes I agree that City Data (and internet forums in general) are a good resource but certainly not the only place I'm doing my research. I'm not a big fan of most of the books and magazine articles, however--as a person who has worked in publishing I know that many of those lists and books get influenced by $$$ (or sometimes the author's personal taste or where his family lives). That's why there is a lot to be said for comments from a variety of people on a forum who don't make money from posting their opinions, and who don't have the same backgrounds or live in the same types of communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 11:00 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile St Augustine?

I know you said you visited St. Augustine. I've only been once and found it charming.

What did you not like?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I know you said you visited St. Augustine. I've only been once and found it charming.

What did you not like?
I may have given the wrong impression. I've been to St. Augustine, but it was years ago and I wasn't thinking about it as a place to live back then. I don't remember it that well. We haven't been able to make the official retirement scouting trip there yet, but are hoping to go after my husband sees his doctor in two weeks. It's been frustrating because we've had to put off the trip a few times--hopefully the third time is the charm. I like St. Augustine quite a bit, in fact right now it's at the top of our list, followed by Lewes, DE. But, we continue to consider other beach towns, just to have comparisons. You never know what you may find.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL no kidding. Like I said I was amazed how many people from the Carolina coastal area were at this show. I think there was maybe 4 communities from Tennessee, 3 from VA, 4-5 from NY, and few from the west, and then all these communities I listed, going up and down the Carolina coast. I guess developers in that part of the country are really gung ho about retirement communities.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. You may not think it was much help but I thought it was. IMO observations like that help a lot.
We were bombarded with these "shows" from '03 to '06, mostly, as you noted, by coastal Carolina developments. They stopped in '07 and then I began reading stuff like this- San Rio lot owners to sue developer over unfinished Shallotte subdivision | StarNewsOnline.com

We have just now begun "hearing" from them again.

Our friends in Chicago get the same thing but more from Western NC, the Asheville area.

It was interesting to watch all these communities go up and then dry up, on our frequent golf trips down there.

Oh, BTW, good luck with your search!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
In looking through city-data's demographic pages, I found the following about Topsail Beach:

Estimated median house or condo value in 2009: $1,048,354 (it was $280,000 in 2000)
Topsail Beach: $1,048,354
North Carolina: $155,500

That's quite a jump in home value!!!!! What accounted for this? Is this the effect of retiring baby boomers from wealthier cities discovering the area? Or is it just reflective of a few pricey mansions that may have been recently built?
Topsail Beach Real Estate - Topsail Beach, NC Homes for Sale - Realtor.com®

Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks! The pricey homes in this link are mostly humongous family vacation compounds, not retirement homes. In fact I doubt these homes are even used year round. If you lived in the area you wouldn't know the families who stayed in them.--my guess is they come down for vacations but don't mingle much with the locals.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks! The pricey homes in this link are mostly humongous family vacation compounds, not retirement homes. In fact I doubt these homes are even used year round. If you lived in the area you wouldn't know the families who stayed in them.--my guess is they come down for vacations but don't mingle much with the locals.
Many homes in communities like this are rented frequently or in some cases are company owned. People will target their units for rental during peak season and for thier personal use prior to and after. Lots of great weather and warm water temps in Sept and Oct. The trick is getting it rented.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Here's how you find out what is available in an area. The list will change as you scroll or zoom in/out.

Hmm, that link didn't work.

Go to Google maps and type in:

shopping near New Bern, NC

or copy paste it from here.

If you change to Satellite view you will see more places noted than are in the list. Zooming in will help while in Satellite mode.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Hard to believe there wasn't a great beach in NC this weekend to be retired to. Absolutely awesome today warm and very crowded where day traffice plays a role.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:24 AM

Tuborg, it was most definitely a glorious weekend. You must have been in heaven. Hoping the same for next weekend, too, since we're headed down to do a scouting trip.

Someone told me it's hard to get insurance for a house in any coastal town up and down the Atlantic Coast. I'm not sure if this was a reliable comment or just someone with sour grapes. Any thoughts on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement