Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:25 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
When the time is right I would be looking for a place that is warmer and cheaper than where I am now (NJ). It doesn't have to be tropical all the time but I don't want to shovel snow or scrape ice again. A couple months of jacket weather is fine. I don't mind the heat so much, so that won't be a problem. I like to do stuff outdoors (bike, run, golf, softball) so it would have to be a place (area) and climate that is condusive to that. Here in NJ we have 6 months of outdoor weather and to me that sux.

Most important I'm looking for a very safe and more upscale place (think most of Jersey). Clean attractive areas for shopping and walking around, ect. I like nice restaurants and shopping areas, but not a big city person and don't love crowds and traffic. So I guess very small cities or medium size towns usually appeal to me. I like a walking downtown with stuff to do.

I think I could be happy in a 55+ community but not sure, I'm a social type person so I could see myself getting involved in clubs and activities. I need a pool, tennis courts, walking/biking trails, a good library and a coffee shop close by. I don't have to be on the ocean or even close to it, but that would be a plus. Also the cultural benefits of a college town also appeal to me, but not sure I could deal with the partying and rowdyness that goes along with it.

Well that's about it. Finding a perfect place can be very difficult.
You're not asking for much - are you ?

I think if you give up the idea of a walking downtown with stuff to do - you'd have a lot more options.

Also - a place with a college/university doesn't have to be rowdy. We have a few in the greater JAX metro area - including UNF and FSCJ - and neither the campuses nor the metro area are rowdy. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Not every coastal community has problems with insurance, BTW. My insurance is with USAA and they insure some coastal areas but not others. It's one of the reasons I'm now considering Gloucester, VA. St. Augustine is charming and has a better beach, but USAA won't insure the properties I like on Anastasia Island. I may end up choosing another insurance company that does--still not completely convinced that I need to stay with USAA (and I do like Anastasia Island quite a bit). But it does make you think. If I move to Gloucester Point I can be near a beach and have USAA too (OK, it's not a great beach, but it's a beach).

Anyway the point is--if you're interested in the Carolinas, check with your insurance company. It may not be that big of a deal, depending on which community you choose.
Had never heard of Gloucester VA. It isn't on the ocean. The closest body of water appears to be a place called Mobjack Bay - which flows into Chesapeake Bay - and there is a barrier island between the mainland where Gloucester is located and the Atlantic Ocean (it's directly east of Gloucester). So you're kind of comparing apples and ranges in terms of Gloucester and St. Augustine Beach (the latter is located *on* a barrier island). You might as well compare Richmond with St. Augustine Beach. You're talking about different types of areas - not to mention totally different parts of the country (SE versus mid-Atlantic) and different climates. Robyn

Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Very wise, condo's have an advantage as they are already insured etc etc. One could consider two homes one at the shore and the other further inland or other combinations.
IIRC (which I may not) - you rent your condo. But whether or not you rent - a condo per se doesn't have any advantage compared to a single family home when it comes to insurance. They are not "already" insured. Like a homeowner - they have to buy insurance every year. In the commercial insurance market (which is frequently more volatile price-wise than the residential insurance market). A condo will usually have an insurance committee whose members may be well informed or total idiots (usually but doesn't always depend on the whether the condo is lower class - medium class - or higher class). The insurance committee will in turn often but not always work with a commercial insurance agent (who - again - may be well informed or a total idiot). And then all of them will report back to a BOD that may be well informed or total idiots - which will make the final decisions.

FWIW - I worked on condo insurance committees when we lived in Miami. Two large higher end complexes. And the insurance problems were very difficult. There were years when we had to have very high deductibles (think millions of dollars - 5 figures per unit) to get the first layer of coverage at a reasonable price. And then we might need 2 or 3 or 4 additional lawyers of coverage - often obtainable only through the surplus lines market (carriers who weren't authorized to write insurance in Florida - like Lloyd's of London). Our condos were typical for Miami - about half the owners were snowbirds or wealthy people from south America who owned 2-3-4 places all over the world. They kind of treated those of us who were full time residents - the people who did the work homeowners have to do - as the "hired help". At some point - I realized that if some unit owner didn't like what we did and had a loss - he or she wouldn't hesitate for a minute in suing the members of our committees. So I quit. There are many reasons I wouldn't own a condo again - but this is one of them. Robyn

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Had never heard of Gloucester VA. It isn't on the ocean. The closest body of water appears to be a place called Mobjack Bay - which flows into Chesapeake Bay - and there is a barrier island between the mainland where Gloucester is located and the Atlantic Ocean (it's directly east of Gloucester). So you're kind of comparing apples and ranges in terms of Gloucester and St. Augustine Beach (the latter is located *on* a barrier island). You might as well compare Richmond with St. Augustine Beach. You're talking about different types of areas - not to mention totally different parts of the country (SE versus mid-Atlantic) and different climates. Robyn
Actually, when it comes to natural features they're not all that different (as far as the things I care most about). The homes I'm looking at are on (or near) the water and there are several beaches. The beaches are not as big as Florida beaches, but they're not teeny tiny either. The big difference is the size of the town. I'll have to drive 20 minutes to Williamsburg for most city things if I choose Gloucester, whereas I will be right next to a city if I choose Anastasia Island. I'll be able to walk to the store from many parts of Anastasia Island. Walking in Gloucester will be mostly trails and country roads.

The weather differences aren't that big of a deal to me, but when you compare the two they aren't really all that different. Gloucester has a mild winter and occasionally gets snow (but not much). St. Augustine doesn't get snow but does get pretty cold, with temps that require you to wear a jacket. Cold enough that people gripe about it on the Jacksonville forum. St. Augustine has a hotter summer, but not dramatically so. Spring and fall are perhaps a little bit longer in VA, but you do get fall color in NE FL, so it's npot all that different. There are plenty of palm trees in both areas. Dolphins swim off the coast line in both areas.

Take a look at this house and beach--the beach is not as wide as in FL, and there's less of a Mediterranean look. Otherwise, not all that different. I'm not looking at this particular house, btw, but it has a nice photo of a Chesapeake Bay beach.

http://www.baybeach-house.com/

Last edited by Caladium; 04-04-2012 at 04:50 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
IIRC (which I may not) - you rent your condo. But whether or not you rent - a condo per se doesn't have any advantage compared to a single family home when it comes to insurance. They are not "already" insured. Like a homeowner - they have to buy insurance every year. In the commercial insurance market (which is frequently more volatile price-wise than the residential insurance market). A condo will usually have an insurance committee whose members may be well informed or total idiots (usually but doesn't always depend on the whether the condo is lower class - medium class - or higher class). The insurance committee will in turn often but not always work with a commercial insurance agent (who - again - may be well informed or a total idiot). And then all of them will report back to a BOD that may be well informed or total idiots - which will make the final decisions.

FWIW - I worked on condo insurance committees when we lived in Miami. Two large higher end complexes. And the insurance problems were very difficult. There were years when we had to have very high deductibles (think millions of dollars - 5 figures per unit) to get the first layer of coverage at a reasonable price. And then we might need 2 or 3 or 4 additional lawyers of coverage - often obtainable only through the surplus lines market (carriers who weren't authorized to write insurance in Florida - like Lloyd's of London). Our condos were typical for Miami - about half the owners were snowbirds or wealthy people from south America who owned 2-3-4 places all over the world. They kind of treated those of us who were full time residents - the people who did the work homeowners have to do - as the "hired help". At some point - I realized that if some unit owner didn't like what we did and had a loss - he or she wouldn't hesitate for a minute in suing the members of our committees. So I quit. There are many reasons I wouldn't own a condo again - but this is one of them. Robyn
We own our condo and my point was just that it made insurance obtainable. As opposed to not being able to get coverage. We have a contracted management association and they handle all the repairs and maintenance etc. It is a convience factor. The biggest possible problem might be if people started defaulting on their monthly assessment. Even when insured the risk are still considerable if it is a major storm. The possibility of loss will always be there but you can try to minimize it but with coastal living comes a risk. We figure a major storm shouldn't hit both places real hard but you never know.

N.C. Beach Plan Survives Irene

Last edited by TuborgP; 04-04-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'd stick with USAA. Then again, I've been with them for over 45 years and have never had a problem. Their claims responses are spectacular.

On a side note, I lived in New Bern while we were awaiting quarters at Cherry Point MCAS. Of course, that was 1950 so I'm sure it's changed a wee bit. Back then, Morehead City was often referred to as "Morbid" City but I'm sure it's changed a bit as well. Was back in the area briefly in about '63 but other than eating in a seafood restaurant on the water in which we'd eaten in 1950, didn't look around.
USAA isn't writing any new homeowners' policies anywhere in Florida for average folk (only active military under limited circumstances):

Military Insurer USAA Restricts New Business in Florida.

And it is also restricting coverage of coastal properties in other states:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/advi...tal_homebuying

FWIW - I've lived on or near the coast in Florida for 40+ years now. And the homeowners' insurance situation has changed a lot over the decades. Right now - I wouldn't recommend anyone buying property in the coastal SE - and most points to the north - unless they can afford to self-insure the place they're buying/building. And - to me - the coast is the coast. A place that directly abuts the Atlantic Ocean or the Gulf (whether it is part of the mainland - or - more likely in a lot of areas - a barrier island off the mainland).

We have been lucky that State Farm Florida continues to insure us (like USSA - it isn't writing any new policies). But we have a pretty big deductible - a house built to high windstorm standards - and State Farm Florida isn't the healthiest homeowners' company in the world (although it's 100 times better than the state high risk pool and 99% of the new homeowners' insurance companies that have popped up in Florida in recent years). Robyn

Old 04-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
We own our condo and my point was just that it made insurance obtainable. As opposed to not being able to get coverage. We have a contracted management association and they handle all the repairs and maintenance etc. It is a convience factor. The biggest possible problem might be if people started defaulting on their monthly assessment. Even when insured the risk are still considerable if it is a major storm. The possibility of loss will always be there but you can try to minimize it but with coastal living comes a risk. We figure a major storm shouldn't hit both places real hard but you never know.

N.C. Beach Plan Survives Irene
I don't mean to sound smart-a** here - but have you ever looked at the windstorm/flood policies your condo association has? The terms and conditions and what companies/state plans are involved? IOW - looking at the possibility that the coverage may be less than you thought - or with entities that are less solvent than you might like? I would like a lower deductible with a better company - but that is not in the cards for me.

Also - although I agree with you that the possibility of winding up without a place to live are diminished if one has both a coastal place and an inland place - it will not eliminate the possibility that an un- or under-insured loss in either place will be one a particular homeowner can absorb. And even if you have good coverage - can you afford to pay whatever out of pocket before your insurance company gets to you? We spent 6 weeks in a Residence Inn after Hurricane Andrew. Our insurance company did reimburse us - but we had to be able to pay up front (we had a good insurance company - but there are only so many claims a company can handle when there's a big disaster). If you're talking about a house or a condo - can you afford to pay out-of-pocket for a "blue roof" or similar right after a storm to avoid any additional water damage?

BTW - we wound up paying about $10k out of pocket - not covered by any insurance (either our condo insurance or our personal loss assessment coverage) - after Hurricane Andrew. I've never seen a wind/flood policy that covers things like landscaping - pools - pool enclosures - porches - patios - various kinds of out-buildings - etc. To me - this isn't a deal-breaker in terms of where I live. But if someone can't afford to pay a fair amount of money after a windstorm/flood loss - he or she shouldn't be living in an area that might be subject to such a loss. But I guess it's no different than owning a house in general. You never know when your HVAC system or stove or septic tank or whatever stuff you have in your house is going to die. You have to have savings to pay for the inevitable necessary repairs. Robyn

Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
I don't mean to sound smart-a** here - but have you ever looked at the windstorm/flood policies your condo association has? The terms and conditions and what companies/state plans are involved? IOW - looking at the possibility that the coverage may be less than you thought - or with entities that are less solvent than you might like? I would like a lower deductible with a better company - but that is not in the cards for me.

Also - although I agree with you that the possibility of winding up without a place to live are diminished if one has both a coastal place and an inland place - it will not eliminate the possibility that an un- or under-insured loss in either place will be one a particular homeowner can absorb. And even if you have good coverage - can you afford to pay whatever out of pocket before your insurance company gets to you? We spent 6 weeks in a Residence Inn after Hurricane Andrew. Our insurance company did reimburse us - but we had to be able to pay up front (we had a good insurance company - but there are only so many claims a company can handle when there's a big disaster). If you're talking about a house or a condo - can you afford to pay out-of-pocket for a "blue roof" or similar right after a storm to avoid any additional water damage?

BTW - we wound up paying about $10k out of pocket - not covered by any insurance (either our condo insurance or our personal loss assessment coverage) - after Hurricane Andrew. I've never seen a wind/flood policy that covers things like landscaping - pools - pool enclosures - porches - patios - various kinds of out-buildings - etc. To me - this isn't a deal-breaker in terms of where I live. But if someone can't afford to pay a fair amount of money after a windstorm/flood loss - he or she shouldn't be living in an area that might be subject to such a loss. But I guess it's no different than owning a house in general. You never know when your HVAC system or stove or septic tank or whatever stuff you have in your house is going to die. You have to have savings to pay for the inevitable necessary repairs. Robyn
All you say is true and it is part of the package you buy when you buy at or near the coast. The outer Banks are beautiful but living there is to buy the full lose it all package. The link I posted discusses the limits of coverage for the state if the storm is catastrophic.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:02 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,897 times
Quote:
You're not asking for much - are you ?

I think if you give up the idea of a walking downtown with stuff to do - you'd have a lot more options.

Also - a place with a college/university doesn't have to be rowdy. We have a few in the greater JAX metro area - including UNF and FSCJ - and neither the campuses nor the metro area are rowdy. Robyn
I know I want it all its true. Well I do understand there have to be some compromises. Based on my description where would be some places you'd recommend for me to check out? Here was my previous list of places I was considering;

Pinehurst, NC
Raleigh/Chapel Hill (area), NC
Wilmington, NC
Brunswick County, NC
Myrtle Beach (area), SC
Charleston (area), SC
Hilton Head, SC
Greenville, SC
Athens, GA
Augusta/Aiken GA/SC
The Northern 2/3rds of Florida

Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
If beaches aren't important to you, then Greenville SC (or Asheville NC) might be just what you're looking for. Charming & walkable downtown. Local colleges. Cultural activities. Have you looked at Clemson, SC? It's a beautiful town right on a lake (but maybe a little too football/party oriented for you). You could always look at other towns around Lake Keowee if Clemson is too much of a college town. One note, though... this is a very southern area, if southern culture is a concern (it isn't for me but sometimes people from northern cities aren't comfortable with it, so thought I'd mention it.)

Last edited by Caladium; 04-05-2012 at 06:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement