Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times

Advertisements

Your chances of that happening are about zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
But that could be a big "about." Ya never know!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But that could be a big "about." Ya never know!
I was just reading that some rare species of kangaroo is running around in the Aux Arcs. Seems they can't catch them but these rare kangaroos (mostly teenagers) love hanging around lakes doing speed-runs and riding motorcycles.

Last edited by RiverBird; 03-09-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 06:10 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Take sperlings with a grain of salt and definitely do more research. I'm living in a city that straddles the TN/VA border. Sperlings say the city has an air quality of 62 on my side of the state line, but if you step across the street into VA the air quality drops by 18 points.
I wouldn't let the threat of tornadoes tear me from here either. I'm not living way out in the boonies, and I bought a solid house with a full basement so I feel pretty safe. The trade off in climate and lifestyle is totally worth it IMO.
Sperling's is a little helpful, but I know that as well as any other information site is full of errors. Really more than anything, I want to escape the heat. The summers here are relentless and miserable. They go on for months and the tornado season, at least, doesn't do that. Should I be fortunate to escape the heat, I'm still choosing a state that isn't prone to bad storms.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
Interesting reading all these posts, variety of opinions, well thought out comments, very constructive.

I'm on the weather doesn't bother me side, I've always been that way. I consider myself a weather geek. I do attend the weather spotter classes that NOAA has, they are awesome, recommended.

I moved from NE Ill. to NE Wis., weather not a consideration. Fog here by the lakeshore can get tricky I do not get on the interstate in fog, EVER! Not scared, just worried about other drivers actions.

In Ill. I lived in a mobile home park for 30 yrs. and had some very close calls, no basement, of course. Now I have a basement, haven't used it yet. I go outside and look first when I hear the siren, always drives my neighbors crazy.

I generally don't worry about things out of my control. I can't stop the weather, I can be informed, take precautions, but trying to second guess or move where this happens or this doesn't, not my style.

I was in San Fran. for 2 wks. and I did get concerned over an earthquake. I was in my 20's and my friends mother wanted to save her Jim Beam bottle collection and I was not dumb enough to stand in front of her ******* bookcase! I got under a table in her place, fortuantely it wasn't bad.

I've always loved the midwest, 4 seasons, weather variation, storms included!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
re: retirement moves

News today, for those who prefer earthquakes to tornadoes

Quake catastrophe like Japan’s could hit Pacific Northwest, new data show – msnbc.com (http://www.qwtnews.com/?p=756106 - broken link)
I'm not so sure about that happening, but time will tell. The tsunami in Japan probably caused more deaths than the quake, but I don't know that for sure. It doesn't matter anyway because I would never live in Japan as it's one of the most earthquake prone areas ever. I know I wouldn't choose San Francisco either, but places with earthquakes such as MT, ID, UT, and several other states I would definitely choose over a state such as AL, OK, AR, etc. and their tornadoes.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

That does it, I will NEVER live in a high-risk tornado state again.

My heart goes out to the victims of this latest round. What devastation.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni in mnay ways its like people readig the news;if they did no one would live in a large city. Actaully thinngs happen all aroud the world everyday no oe hears about.A gew years ago it was Hurricane areas;then earth quake areas ;then eastern sea board areas when a mild hurricane with rain caused so much dange;now its tornado areas. I the future it will proably be earth qauke in NW that experts are wrnig will be worse than the Japanese disaster. In time it will be drught areas and fires ,Eart is a danbgerous place to live and always has been with disaster happenig all the time and us heard and see more with communication so good.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I thni in mnay ways its like people readig the news;if they did no one would live in a large city. Actaully thinngs happen all aroud the world everyday no oe hears about.A gew years ago it was Hurricane areas;then earth quake areas ;then eastern sea board areas when a mild hurricane with rain caused so much dange;now its tornado areas. I the future it will proably be earth qauke in NW that experts are wrnig will be worse than the Japanese disaster. In time it will be drught areas and fires ,Eart is a danbgerous place to live and always has been with disaster happenig all the time and us heard and see more with communication so good.
Thanks for the reminder. I'll still hedge my bets, based not on outliers but on probability.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I'll still hedge my bets, based not on outliers but on probability.
Well I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that tornados are covered under the standard wind damage of your homeowners insurance while earthquakes and floods require a special policy. All because of probabilities. Therefore it seems that the probability of your home being destroyed by a tornado is smaller than a west coast earthquake or an east coast flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement