Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times

Advertisements

Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes happen almost everywhere. No matter where you choose to go there is always danger of one sort or the other. If you live on the coast you are subject to flooding and tsunamis. California may fall into the sea someday. If the Madrid fault collapses we will have an new great lake in the center of the country. You probably have a much better chance of being killed in a car accident or murdered. BTW, since 1960 there as been 400,000 people murdered in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
I have a home in New Mexico within a mile of a volcano in the Rio Grande Valley which contains the State's most seismic areas. I also have a farm in a Texas county that is the number # 2 Texas county for having the most tornadoes since the 1950s.

There's not much I can do about the New Mexico dangers but for Texas I have a weather radio and a storm cellar. For both places, I have faith that when the Grim Reaper comes looking for you, he'll find you no matter where you try to hide.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
[quote=donsabi;23275902]Tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes happen almost everywhere.

Not true. Not here. Phoenix does not have tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes, which is why I am wondering if I should move out of this area. We are relatively safe weatherwise here, although the dirt storms can make it hard to breathe !

Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
It definitely has made me reconsider the NC area...seems Tornado Alley has widened to include everywhere from Texas to Illinois to Indiana, to Georgia to Florida...

I live inan earthquake prone area and have never gotten used to it, but these tornado patterns are very scary to me too. Personally, I'd rather have a snowstorm once in a while.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
It definitely has made me reconsider the NC area...seems Tornado Alley has widened to include everywhere from Texas to Illinois to Indiana, to Georgia to Florida...

I live inan earthquake prone area and have never gotten used to it, but these tornado patterns are very scary to me too. Personally, I'd rather have a snowstorm once in a while.
Shucks. We can have both. But don't "they" say that variety is the spice of life?

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post

I grew up about 45 miles SE of here and don't remember it being so bad. I wouldn't relocate here again, but the tornadoes/storms are just one of the reasons. But to choose an area with earthquakes vs tornadoes with everything else the same...give me earthquakes .
That is my feeling exactly. Unless one has experienced both, one just doesn't get it. I agree, too, that the violent weather is NOT the only reason to want to get out of the south. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions that some who "know" both prefer tornado weather to earthquakes

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I was born in California and lived there for over 50 years. Earthquakes hit with no warning and they can be very scary and destructive. Three years ago we retired to an area in Kentucky that has occasional tornadoes but there is usually plenty of warning (we were warned days ahead of time before the recent tornadoes). People need to heed the warnings but sadly some don't. There are places to go where you will be safe. Instead people decide to drive during bad storms, stay in their homes (but not underground), stay in their trailers and refuse to leave, ignore the sirens, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
If you wish to be free of natural disasters move to Svalbard. That's why the International Seed Bank is there. As a bonus there's virtually no crime. They do, however, require people to be suitably armed when going outside of settlements as polar bears occasionally eat people. The weather's a bit nippy but not all that bad.

Svalbard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

The eastern half of NC does not get the tornado's the weather map might suggest. The Charlotte half gets a few more but that is many miles from Raleigh. Raleigh may be in a weather map zone but the probability of being hit by one is so very low. However my son was in a shopping center where the one last year went through the other half and I was driving parallel to one a few years ago in Maryland was only about 1/2 mile from it wondering where it was. I mean there are trade offs and I would be less worried about Tornado's in the Eastern half of NC than I would thunderstorms. Now if thunder boomers frighten you forget NC. As I was warned and now know we can get epic ones and get them often. My tall trees/wooded tree line are beautiful but when they sway to much I am prone to going inside and not watching the storm first hand from the porch. Yes watching a storm roll in over the trees from the second story porch is something I had to get use to. Went from listening to it from inside a closet to watching it live. Took some doing!

Old 03-07-2012, 10:06 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
wow...I didn't realize that about the T-storms in that area...I learn something new every day on these forums The only time I experienced that kind of thunder was in upstate NY one summer (way out in the country), it was soooo loud and intense, I was really afraid and I'll never forget it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement