Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Retirement: car rentals, tour bus, downtown, housing market, relocating.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My 17-year-old daughter, Celene, and I just returned from a two-week trip through New Mexico and Colorado to check out places for me for retirement in one to four years.

I know that On-the-Road has been seeking places, too, and has great information!

Just thought I'd give a little feedback from my point of view. I, too, am an artist/teacher, and am seeking a comfortable, creative/artsy area with low humidity, mountains, sun, and warmth.

We actually did half a Greyhound Discovery Tour (you pay for one 15-day pass and get to ride any Greyhound in any city for a flat fee), and part car rentals.

We went from Santa Cruz to Las Cruces in one fell swoop on the bus, and then rented a car in Las Cruces. I was a bit disappointed in it, though. I had high hopes, however, for me, it was a bit too newly developed and didn't have much "charm." I did go through the older part of town, and happened on a gallery called "White Raven," and talked to some artists there. They suggested a part of town where some "weird artsy/crazy" types live. It was very clean, very new, and had lots of brand new gated communities. Nice weather, sunny skies, but I just didn't feel a level of "community" or comfort I wanted.......

So, then we drove to Truth or Consequences (we didn't get to Silver City, although now I wish I had, but knew that the air quality was pretty bad there and I didn't want to live in another Denver, where the air quality was so bad I had to move from it). Truth or Consequences was cute from what I saw. We stayed at the Riverbend Hot Springs, which was absolutely charming. The people we met in stores and even on the streets were very friendly and helpful. One retired couple (part of "Work Kampers") who were volunteering said they had been there all summer but were planning on extending their stay because they were enjoying it so much and wanted to see what winter was like there. TorC is now on my tentative list, although I do have a concern about enough nearby services.

We then drove to Albuquerque, and stopped at Socorro on the way. Socorro seemed a bit too quiet, although the college area seemed nice. Albuquerque was pleasant. I still have mixed feelings about it, but it is now on my list of possible places.

My daughter loved Albuquerque -- she loved the architecture, the laid-back attitude, just the whole vibe. We centered on some touristy things (Old Town) and took suggestions from wonderful City-Data people who suggested places for us to see. We loved eating at the Frontier Restaurant across from the university, shopped in the Nob Hill district, and stayed in the western part of town. We had dinner at El Pinto (which was great), and then drove up the Turquoise Trail to Madrid, hung out there, and then came back to Albuquerque.

We then bused to Colorado Springs. We actually walked to Garden of the Gods from our hotel in Old Colorado City. As usual, it was beautiful. We walked through Old Colorado City, and I was surprised to see more liberal (not Evangelical) shops. Quite a few new shops had opened with Buddhist supplies, Indian cothing, and alternative health items. I asked about that of the shop owners and was told that "things are changing here." The city was clean and we shopped at a big mall there, ate in the Colorado College area in the college restaurants. We also went to Manitou Springs and saw the Indian Cliff Dwellings, and Cave of the Winds. Manitou Springs seemed nice and quaint, but I was surprised that I liked Colorado Springs more. Both are on my list now.

We then went up to Denver and met a friend of mine who flew in from New York City (she used to live in Colorado at the same time that I did). We hung out in downtown Denver for the day and then went to Boulder where we had both lived in the 80s. Things had changed quite a bit there to my disappointment. Very yuppified and spread out -- the mallification of America had hit Boulder. But we still hiked the Flatrions, browsed the mall (which now consists of big name chain stores), and toured Celestial Seasonings. Our friends who remained in Boulder were not happy about the changes, but they are still there, and have accepted them. I don't feel that the changes justify the higher cost now.

We then went across the state to Grand Junction. A disappointment in that it didn't seem very artsy or charming. It was okay, but there is a lot of mining and oil drilling nearby. The downtown area seemed to close up at 5 p.m. during the week. Not a lot seemed to be happening. Nice scenery though and good weather.

Then we took a drive on the Cisco Trail to Moab, Utah, and the views were spectacular. We went to Arches National Monument and we really liked Moab, however, it didn't seem like a retirement area (I may be wrong) and there were lots of creative-type younger people there. Nice place, though!

Just wanted to give some feedback, as I know many people are looking at the same or similar areas.

Here are some short slide shows of some of what we saw:

Click below for the slide show:
http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget...s/72c49811.pbw

Slide Show ONE

http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget...s/697dffab.pbw
Slide TWO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
Okay, I guess maybe this didn't provide enough information, but I thought that maybe some feedback from our trip might be useful. (I saw people viewed the post.....but no replies.)

If you've been to any of these places listed and could put your feedback about them (especially Truth or Consequences, Albuquerque and Colorado Springs) that would be helpful. I'm trying to sort it all through. Just thought the photos might be inspiring, too.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Thumbs up Very nice thread!!!

Wisteria, I'm thinking that maybe you would of gotten replies in the CO forum and/or NW over the Retirement forum . What with so many forums nowadays, I'm not certain how many folks will actually see it here and respond to it as well as they would in the general states forums . Just a thought though and I may be wrong .

I can't wait to hear more about your journeys!

Hugs from ~HDL~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Okay, I guess maybe this didn't provide enough information, but I thought that maybe some feedback from our trip might be useful. (I saw people viewed the post.....but no replies.)

If you've been to any of these places listed and could put your feedback about them (especially Truth or Consequences, Albuquerque and Colorado Springs) that would be helpful. I'm trying to sort it all through. Just thought the photos might be inspiring, too.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2007, 04:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
. (I saw people viewed the post.....but no replies.)

No, you're wrong, wisteria. Yours was a wonderful thread. I had thought about Las Cruces, but deserts are not my scene , but I enjoyed reading your post anyway & some of my reservations were confirmed . Maybe people were just not interested in those areas so they didn't respond to you. Your descriptions were great !

Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Great info, Wisteria. I've been off line for about 2-3 months with only an occasional pop in at a cafe or at a friends (that's where I am now). But, I will post more later, and update my artists town thread very soon.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:54 PM

Ontheroad!! Great to see you here (ditto HDL -- and thanks, Nancy!).

Just thought I'd post a few of the things we saw. I'm still ambivalent, but feel like there's life after Santa Cruz now!

Have to go down and vote with the Union now -- we're in contract negotiations -- that, and the housing market, will determine if I leave earlier, or stick around for a few more years.

I'll be looking to hear more about your travels, Ontheroad!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post

Thanks!
Looks like you did a good job of scouting out possible areas, I like the Albuquerque idea best of those alternatives listed. Personally, with what you seem to be looking for in an area, I would think that Santa Fe and Taos New Mexico might be of interest to you too:

//www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Fe-New-Mexico.html

//www.city-data.com/city/Taos-New-Mexico.html

Taos is a little small for my taste, but really nice. Personally, if I didn't have so many "requirements" in my retirement location selection, I would have gone with Santa Fe.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
NewToCA: Personally, with what you seem to be looking for in an area, I would think that Santa Fe and Taos New Mexico might be of interest to you too:
Thanks. Yes, I have already been to Taos and Santa Fe before, however, they seem a bit too commercialized for me. Plus, I don't think the costs outweigh the benefits. There was also a lot of sprawl happening in Taos when I passed through recently. Nice places, just not for me.

I was suprised that I actually liked the Albuquerque area. I had stayed there with friends before in Rio Rancho, but wasn't scoping it out for myself. So, this time I had a better chance to see what living there could be like.

Decisions, decisions!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:51 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Awesome pics. I'm thinking about a move to Colorado but I might have to put New Mexico on my list as well. Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:21 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Do people consider "old-old age" when looking at places for retirement? I mean specifically being car-dependent. Maybe that is a later stage of retirement- first stage being when you don't have to work anymore, next stage when health and eyesight might start dictating different decisions.

I'd personally love to retire to Santa Fe and live within walking distance of so much.
I recently looked at Durango, CO. Not able to tell what it'll be like way in the future (when I can retire) but I only felt drawn to the out-of-town, that is, car dependent areas.
Also, Durango has a severe lack of health care providers. Reportedly, no one in town is accepting new patients or Medicare. Yes, there is a new hospital, but the insurance might not have caught up.
Given all that, I likely should stay where I am (in my dream house 30 miles from Boston) but I have always had this desire to move West, and to do it when I don't have to worry about employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement