Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:55 PM

57 posts, read 175,744 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of making out my will and am looking for realistic options for the care of my pets after I'm gone. I don't have any relatives or friends who I can count on to care for them. My pets are my family and a very important part of my life, and I want to be sure they are taken care of should something happen to me. I have worked with a rescue group and unfortunately I've seen way too many beloved pets placed in what turned out to be unfortunate situations by well-intentioned rescue workers and want to avoid that. Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,647,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post
I'm in the process of making out my will and am looking for realistic options for the care of my pets after I'm gone. I don't have any relatives or friends who I can count on to care for them. My pets are my family and a very important part of my life, and I want to be sure they are taken care of should something happen to me. I have worked with a rescue group and unfortunately I've seen way too many beloved pets placed in what turned out to be unfortunate situations by well-intentioned rescue workers and want to avoid that. Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!
I have no family left and the friends I could have trusted are dead.. I've set up a pet trust which is not available in every state for my three, two dogs and one cat. I want my pets to go to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah. They'll receive good care. I plan to leave most or all of my money to them as well. I do not want them adopted. My seven year old dog has many emotional problems; I hope she's with me the rest of her life. Her friend and hero is twelve. She's never been without both dog and cat companions (she loves cats) since I've had her so there could still be more on the horizon.

Best Friends Animal Society

Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanks! I don't want my precious babies adopted out either. I will check out Best Friends and check if a pet trust is available in my state. I presently live in California but am hoping to relocate to Idaho if and when I can sell my home.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,056,168 times
We basically decide when to get our last pet ;so that its very unlikely to out survve both my wife and I.But her much youinger cousin who loves pets said just in case;accident etc;she would take them.Somethig to think about when getting pets at older age really.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,509,461 times
Be careful. Best Friends is one of the only ones I would even suggest. We have a guardian named in our will for any remaining pets and the guardian get 10% of our generous estate. We will be updating soon to change guardians but the wording remains the same.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 PM

698 posts, read 1,054,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkie99 View Post

Thanks!

i've had animals in my life for over 45 years and i've considered all of them to be part of my family. planning for them if you predecease them is an essential consideration and these decisions are usually difficult.

i feel if you choose to have pets, you are making a committment to them for the duration of their lives and that includes making the best plan for them upon your death . i don't have family as such, but the significant other in my lfe, of some years' duration, would take my cats if i died before he did. he is a cat lover and has always been very fond of my animals. if he does not survive me, my sister-in-law, who is quite a bit younger, would take them.

i have to say that i'm not certain anyone could give them the love and attention that i do and i feel adjusting on their part would be difficult. therefore, i have told both the significant other and the SIL that if they have hesitation or concerns about adjustment or if the animal is just too elderly to transition into another living environment, i would prefer that they have them put to sleep, rather than have the animal be confused and unhappy in a new home.

these are difficult choices to make and i understand your concern. i also have seen cases where surviving animals have had to adjust to very different envionments than the ones where they had lived happily for years. i don't want that for my cats . i certainly believe there are situations that are worse than euthanasia for an animal, and if adjustment is not possible or very painful for an elderly animal especialy, i would prefer that their life be ended painlessly.

there are no "golden" answers to this dilemma, but i applaud your desire to try and make some workable plans.

catsy girl

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM

texdav, Sweetana and Catsygirl - Thanks! I can't even imagine life without a dog as I have always had them in my life. I do not have any relatives that I would count on, and I have seen way too many loving pets end up dumped in shelters by relatives and friends who promised to care for their deceased relatives' pets.

I am definitely going to look at Best Friends, Sweetana. I sure appreciate it that Best Friends has received more than one recommendation.

Last edited by binkie99; 02-28-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:26 PM

I just looked up pet trusts. I found the following on the ASPCA site: "As of 2012, 46 states plus the District of Columbia have enacted pet trust laws. The states that have not enacted pet trust laws are: Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota and Mississippi. If you live in one of these 4 states, please visit our Alternative Options section for other ways to secure your pet’s future."

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/pet-ca...usts-laws.aspx

Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,014,277 times
I have told the kids they're all completely disinherited if one of them does not provide a good home for my dog. Hoping they're going to inherit millions, they're all giving the dear dog a lot of attention lately.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:34 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,435,763 times
I only have one cat right now (there was a time when I had as many as three), but she is my spoiled little baby. My sons are very fond of her as well...whenever they come to visit me, they threaten to take her home with them. So, fortunately, one of them will take her when it's time for me to "move on to the next level".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement