Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:26 AM

18 posts, read 78,584 times

Advertisements

This may be a bit blunt, but I haven't come across a discussion that looks all that helpful for those of us that are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting through the far side of retirement. There are a lot of people whose children and/or family aren't close enough to be reliable source of support. And there are also a lot of people who simply don't have any children and/or family at all.

Truth is, nobody wants to talk about the fact that choosing a great place to retire should also include considerations relative to best places to manage health problems and, eventually, die. Lots of places are eager to attract retirees, but there doesn't seem to be much thought when it comes to dealing with them once they are "inconveniently old".

We live in a lovely area and there are lots of seniors in the community. Self reliance is pretty much all that a lot of these people have got. However, we also have a friend that lives in a major metropolitan area and I am just heartsick as to how isolated and invisible she has found herself to be. It's not like it was when so many of us were young people where someone in that position would automatically find themselves "adopted" by everyone in the neighborhood. We'd have her with us, but such a major move and lack of specialized health care in our area are more than she can accept. She's not having a heck of a lot of luck connecting with support agencies, either. Being a 'party of one' or even two, can be downright scary.

Don't know any other way to put this, other than to just ask if anyone has a clue when it comes to best places to be old, mobility impaired, sick, and/or die? Can't you just see the article headline in all the magazines: The Top 100 Places To Die! ??? Think anyone could even come up with 10?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
If you have some funds, look into Westminister Cantabury....this has self-sufficient apartments, assisted living and medical units....you have to be healthy when you "buy in", but once you're there, there's really no need to ever move again....

If your spouse requires health care, they can go to the health unit, while you stay in your apartment.

My mom has been living in the Va. Beach location for years. She absolutely LOVES it! Check it out!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearly View Post
This may be a bit blunt, but I haven't come across a discussion that looks all that helpful for those of us that are pretty much on our own when it comes to getting through the far side of retirement. There are a lot of people whose children and/or family aren't close enough to be reliable source of support. And there are also a lot of people who simply don't have any children and/or family at all.

Truth is, nobody wants to talk about the fact that choosing a great place to retire should also include considerations relative to best places to manage health problems and, eventually, die. Lots of places are eager to attract retirees, but there doesn't seem to be much thought when it comes to dealing with them once they are "inconveniently old".

We live in a lovely area and there are lots of seniors in the community. Self reliance is pretty much all that a lot of these people have got. However, we also have a friend that lives in a major metropolitan area and I am just heartsick as to how isolated and invisible she has found herself to be. It's not like it was when so many of us were young people where someone in that position would automatically find themselves "adopted" by everyone in the neighborhood. We'd have her with us, but such a major move and lack of specialized health care in our area are more than she can accept. She's not having a heck of a lot of luck connecting with support agencies, either. Being a 'party of one' or even two, can be downright scary.

Don't know any other way to put this, other than to just ask if anyone has a clue when it comes to best places to be old, mobility impaired, sick, and/or die? Can't you just see the article headline in all the magazines: The Top 100 Places To Die! ??? Think anyone could even come up with 10?
Then you haven't been reading. The "best" place to be in retirement and old age is where you want to be. All other considerations, especially family, aside, your "druthers" should take precedence. In the final analysis, you are the only one you can totally count on. To be tied to others and what-ifs is to give up a great deal of your freedom to live out your life the way you choose.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 AM

18 posts, read 78,584 times
Wow! I can't believe it! You actually made Bangladesh (as in why not, then?) spring into my mind; low cost of living, tropical climate, sandy beaches, ocean views... Sure didn't expect that to happen today! lol

Made me smile. And I'm even still smiling even as I'm writing this. Thanks. (sincerely) The topic probably needed a bit of comic relief.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times
Since you're in Arkansas, I'd say Hot Springs Village fits the bill. My friend who lives there has moved from various places within the Village as he's gotten older. They started with a house next to a lake when they were young retirees. Eventually they got a townhouse in a Good Sam complex in the Village, and when you move into this, there are still layers within the complex. You start with the townhouse, which is still independent living, but you still have the amenities of the main complex right across the parking lot. As you need more assistance, you can move into a smaller apartment in the main complex. Eventually, you can move into the assisted living and hospice units, as needed. A spouse can move to a higher care unit while you remain in the lower care townhouse, if you wish. Everything is right in the Good Sam complex, so you really aren't moving far and all residents tend to integrate with each other.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
These topics are well-covered in many other discussions. Rather than repeat the hundreds of comments which are on-point and appropriate, I'll simply suggest people wanting to learn more scroll down through the archived material. Best of luck.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
When I'm in the throes of decrepitude I'm sure someone will haul me to some convenient place of warehousing to wait for death either knowingly or unknowingly on my part. When I die I just hope I'm embalmed as I would really hate to wake up either under the ground or in the crematorium furnace waiting for the burner to come on.

That's my happy thought to contribute to this discussion.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
The top place to die, imo, is at home. My very best friend just died, and because she has lived here most of her life, she had over the years amassed a huge network of friends who stayed at her home around the clock, in turns, over the final week of her life along with Hospice. Her family came too. She was literally surrounded by love and care 24/7, and died in complete peace (I was with her a few days before she died). I know of several other women who had the same situation...spent their final days at home with Hospice, with family and friends spelling each other around the clock. I would wish that for myself, but if I move from here it is probable I would die alone, most likely in a hospital bed. Therefore, for the past few years I have been making every effort to connect more closely with my kids, my ex, and my friends. Now that three of my best friends have passed away, I'm short on close friends and feel a need to fill that void. After losing my best friend this week, I'm nearly certain I will not be moving far, as the example of her life has really hit home to me at my age. There is no place like the place you have family and friends...one or the other, or both, as you age...imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearly View Post

Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM

782 posts, read 1,086,602 times
There's a very good chance I could be alone when I get to the point where I can't feed, dress, or wipe myself. I just hope when I get to that stage, I have the nerve to "pull the trigger". Or maybe, by then, I'll have the option of becoming a soylent green tablet.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
Not sure but I think you all are missing the point. I think Clearly was talking in broader strokes than suggesting one nursing home somewhere or talking about how great it is to have family and friends (I think we know that). There can be lots of reasons why people end up alone, and you may have issues well before you're really old or long before you actually die.
I worry about this a lot. I have no family to speak of and certainly wont in a few years (I'm 55 now). Nothing to pin me anywhere so sure I can retire anywhere. Money is an issue. But all that aside a lot more issues to discuss.
If you are alone...are their lawyers who specialize in being the lone persons representation/advocate in case of accident? It might just be an injury where your unconscious for a little while - who is your emergency contact?
Will long term care insurance be worth it?
As for places generally, I read someone saying that FL has a lot of service personnel that have a lot of experience dealing with the elderly and their insurances etc. So senior population mass can potentially matter. I suppose there are more gerontologists in FL too. But we don't all want to live in FL and I wonder if at some point elder care won't swamp the system, especially in emergencies. The middle of the country, at least the northern 1/3 or so is hollowing out. The states of Iowa, Dakota's, Kansas, Minnesota are seeing their young head to the coasts and all that's left is shrinking towns full of old people. They don't have the tax base or people to provide services and although those good people are probably supportive of each other its going to get harder.
I think Clearly has a point. There is a wide variety of help and services needed between fully capapble and living at home and flat on your back in a nursing home till death. And what's available is spotty, hard to find and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement