Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 70,156 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm planning to retire sometime next year. i'm from Staten Island New York.I'll be 62 on monday omg. I'm active & love doing many things, i really don't feel my age yet lol. I've decided to move to Century Village in Pembroke Pines Fl. it's an adult community with many activities, although there's alot of much elder people there, i'm hoping to meet people around my age to do things with. I bought a beautiful 2 bedroom condo for $75,000 & the maintenance is under $400.00. I can't stay in New York it's too expensive. I have a friend who's a paralegal & a real state broker, he found me this condo, everything went very smooth, i was at work while the closing went on, what better. I hope i'll be happy there, i will miss my family, but being retired i will problaby see them more than i do now, i feel like i'm always working, i can't wait to pack it in lol. Good luck to you all & enjoy wherever you decide to go. I'm divorced but not dead.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Anomoly - Glad to hear from you!! I have dial-up .....I kept thinking I was moving soon so why bother getting high speed - well, I'm still here. I'm use to it. Are you in Yuma? Was your new home what you thought it would be? Wisteria still talks about Las Cruces so perhaps the two of you will end up there. Drop a lne more often - no one cares how long it is

Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havana123 View Post
Hello, i'm planning to retire sometime next year. i'm from Staten Island New York.I'll be 62 on monday omg. I'm active & love doing many things, i really don't feel my age yet lol. I've decided to move to Century Village in Pembroke Pines Fl. it's an adult community with many activities, although there's alot of much elder people there, i'm hoping to meet people around my age to do things with. I bought a beautiful 2 bedroom condo for $75,000 & the maintenance is under $400.00. I can't stay in New York it's too expensive. I have a friend who's a paralegal & a real state broker, he found me this condo, everything went very smooth, i was at work while the closing went on, what better. I hope i'll be happy there, i will miss my family, but being retired i will problaby see them more than i do now, i feel like i'm always working, i can't wait to pack it in lol. Good luck to you all & enjoy wherever you decide to go. I'm divorced but not dead.
Hi - Havana123 ...It's aways nice to hear what other people have decided to do. We have quite a few people on this forum and it's been going on for a long time - during that time we have decided...decided again.....decided once more....and most are still in their same spots. Of course, the housing situation has alot to do with that (it has everything to do with it!!) Hope your new spot works out for you!!

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 AM

384 posts, read 990,112 times
hi havana123 - welcome - will look forward to a report on how you like century village.

MN2CO is right - we decide and decide again ... I'm beginning to think one solution might be to set up a circuit - everyone rotate housing for a few months a year. That way we get change with having to committ fully!

Re Knoxville - it sure does sound great. My brother and family transplanted right outside Knoxville in Oak Ridge - they would never move back north. It is a beautiful area especially in spring and fall. I've been there in late August / early September and the humidity was wicked from my perspective. Granted, given that I'm in Alaska I may be a bit over sensitive to heat.

Good to see anomoly back on - and I sure would like to hear about where you are at.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 AM

384 posts, read 990,112 times
newenglandgirl ... yes, I plan to work some after my retirement.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:51 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Default NEG progress report

Hi again all, just wanted to report some forward progress. Had a realtor over and she gave me a satisfactory starting place for a selling price. she said don't do any more to the house, just keep it decluttered (already is) and patch a few ceiling places, not even worry about repainting the walls or small repairs. So... I know I would use her as my agent, if I get up the gumption and sign on the dotted line... On another front, I ahve been cleaning out like crazy...basement and attic, esp...got those plastic tubs w lids, labeling linens, dishes, etc, bringing clothes and "stuff" to the local shelter, etc...it's amazing how much stuff we accumulate...even after you clean out completely and make a move, just a few years later voila! there's all this stuff again. I decided not to have a tag/yard sale, as I can't deal with all the work entailed in that. I figure that giving away nice stuff is sharing with others who might appreciate these things. But by far my biggest challenge is organizing my art supplies and PAPERWORK...the latter seems to be multiplying like flies. I have all kinds of filing systems...I got rid of the heavy filing cabs and now have individual small plastic filing boxes w handles...easy to transport and store. My next step, one of the hardest, is to get rid of heavy furniture such as spinet piano, heavy bureaus, etc from mother's home, things I see the value in and can't seem to part with. But my new motto is if I can't lift somthing with my two hands, out it goes (other than the couch and d.r. table)!! I need a kick in the pants to get the paperwork done and get rid of the heavy stuff.... Someone to keep reminding me to finish the whole job. Then I will feel much more ready to sign on the dotted line

Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Cool Century Village Pembroke Pines !

Quote:
Originally Posted by havana123 View Post
Hi Havana! I've visited CV in PP many times because my girlfriend lived there - she finally sold her condo 2-years ago at a tremendous loss. You got a good price for yours. If you like the Miami lifestyle, I guess you will like living in CV The best thing about it - is the opportunity to make new friends, with all their social activities

I have decided to hunker-down in my small-town/country lifestyle and enjoy the upcoming spring and summer

Hey Anomoly........... I'm looking forward to your FULL REPORT

Old 03-14-2009, 01:01 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
NEG
Give yourself a treat and hire a professional organizer for a couple of days. They help you sort through your stuff and make decisions on what to keep and what goes.
National Association of Professional Organizers
I've taken some classes from one but haven't used one. They can give you the kick you need to finish the rest of it and help you deal with emotional attachments to things that really need to move on.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:21 PM

20 posts, read 59,297 times
Must be the full moon but I too have been on the verge of just jumping in the car and driving...AWAY! I have a few paid (for now, anyway!) days off and am planning a road trip with my dog. He's insisting on Cambria since he loves the ocean - Wisteria, how far are you from there, btw? I've been thinking St. George since I've never been or Telluride/Ouray. Any dog/human vacation ideas, ladies?

On the retirement housing front, I ran across a couple of interesting upcoming seminars on the Second Journey website: New Page 1

NEG, I think you're Suze Orman idea is fabulous - you should contact her and "introduce us!"

Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 PM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
I am working (part time) after retirement. I turned 62 (????) in December and just collected my first SS check last month (yeah???). I am at work now (gift/art gallery) and am the only one here. Business is very very slow. I just went to Dunedin (FL) last week for a couple of days to check it out (two hour drive from me). Has it's good points/bad points like most places. It's charming and quaint - maybe too quaint. What I want to buy, can't afford. What I can afford, don't like. Story of my life (our lives?). I'm going to look at St. Pete. Has nice older neighborhoods and access to lots of culture, activities, airport. As I've told all of you, I am moving by the end of June. That is a definite. So I have to decide real soon where I am going. It's getting scary as time marches closer to the end of June! I want to be near civilization, a fairly major airport, in a nice local neighborhood with more established homes (no burbs for me). I am very active so 55+ communities are not for me. Every birthday I try to do something adventurous. Last year ziplining in Costa Rica (I went there for dental work - soooooo much cheaper than the states); in 07 I went soaring in a sail plane, have been in hot air balloons, rafting, kayaking, when I turned 60 I took myself to Amsterdam for 4 days. I am alone so I do all this myself. I use to travel for business all over in/out the U.S. so travelling/being alone does not bother me. Though sharing is better - oh well. I keep telling myself "Don't panic. You will figure it out." Just breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement