Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
It was the painted canvas floor mat workshop.
I love it. It sounds like a technique I need to use to paint on the glass of my TV cabinet to replicate the old New Mexican tinwork where they painted on glass because they didn't have stained glass.What was the shiny stuff they put in the paint? Really like the variations in the butterfly.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,209 times
Hi Dancingearth. I can't remember what the shiny stuff was -- it was some kind of transparent thing. I have a handout at home that has it on there, so I'll look it up later. I don't know how well the butterfly shows up on your computer -- and it is a bit distorted because I tossed the canvas onto the floor and stood away from it to take the photo -- thinking I'd have more chances to get a good shot -- then the camera broke! Oh, well.

I'm not sure what you mean about the variations in the butterfly -- I'm very detail-oriented when it comes to drawing, so I tend to really look closely at what is there. This was painting, though, so a bit difficult for me, but I used metallic paint for the marks within the orange on the wings. Ironically, the teacher wanted to make my shapes "symmetrical" on my butterfly, and she took a paintbrush with black on it and tried to reshape my shapes. I stopped her in mid-air and I showed her the photo and pointed out that the shapes were not symmetrical, and the black was not a solid black. She hadn't noticed that, and immediately backed away, and said, "Oh, I didn't see that!" So, I had to go back in and "mess" up a few things to make it look more natural. Oh, well, it was still a learning process, and I felt for not knowing what I was doing, that it turned out better than I thought it would.

And...ta ta, I am going to be interviewed for television on Friday -- looks like I'll have to fast all week! It was for the nomination of the Jefferson Award for the Probation Officer at work. I guess they want to interview the people who nominated them. Too bad I couldn't get a word in about us women!! But, alas, I don't think that will happen. See what one well-written letter can do? Amazing.

I'm at work ... what's new...so I'd better go. See you later!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm a little confused- west of San Diego and east of Phoenix?
Wherever it is, it sounds wonderful.

Leave it me--assbackwards!
175 east of San Diego, 175 west of Phoenix! & I'm not even dyslexic!

Old 03-16-2009, 01:11 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karcon View Post
NewEnglandGirl;

What a great letter to Suze! Am very interested in knowing what her response is. Perhaps you'd also like to contact Good Morning America (Diane Sawyer). It would make a great segment on their daily a.m. show and certainly get attention. For all who have found this post, think of how many who haven't.
I couldn't agree more. As soon as I found this thread, I knew we were a "story waiting to be told". The bright side of this economy problem, is that 'our story' is even more in demand right now! Is anyone ready to step up to the plate and make it happen? Did the letter to Suze get sent, or should we decide to send one?

Wisteria & Anomoly - what great photos. So nice to put actual faces with all your great missives. Anomoly you are a true free spirit. I envy you; I'm adventurous but you are bodacious!! A good southernism. Wisteria, your home is lovely, serene, and perfect. I can see why you are so reluctant to leave.
Bless your heart, Karcon! Bodacious, I like it! I'm not only an anomoly, I'm a bodacious anomoly!! It's so much better than 'misfit'.. I do feel like I'm from another plane of existence, and it's not always pleasant. I like who I am, although I'm often 'looking for my people', and waiting to return to them, whoever and wherever they are! ..I even told Wisteria I think I was probably late (as usual) for the bus, and my people took off from Earth without me!

Ok wait, wuts a "southernism"?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 PM

205 posts, read 397,119 times
A "southernism" just means a word/expression used in the south. I was born in NJ but raised in Richmond, VA and then lived in North Carolina (where both my children were born). I spent the summers and some holidays up north (NJ) with my dad (Irish Catholic) and his family and the rest of the year with my mother (Scottish Presbyterian) and stepfather in Richmond. With my parents combination, no wonder their marriage didn't work out. But I digress! Bodacious is really a combination of bold and audacious - meaning super adventurous and bold marked by originality and verve! In otherwords "Anomoly!"

Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Default From NEG: Suze and other matters

Hi all,
Yes I sent the email to Suze via her website. If her staff calls me can I refer them to Wisteria and others?? She probably gets thousands of emails a day so we'll see... I can sort of envision us all on her show...she'd probably make a fortune off of this one!

In the meantime, I have a question. Has anyone looked into, or even considered, subsidized senior housing? In a college town, the housing might be filled with more interesting/artsy people?? If so, does it go solely by income, or do they take into account amt of savings, and also are there any really nice ones in college towns that might possibly even accept a pet or two? (that's my biggest challenge, two med. sized gentle dogs I could never part with, tho one is old). Just wondering about this idea...esp in small college towns....

Old 03-16-2009, 04:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Hi all,
Yes I sent the email to Suze via her website. If her staff calls me can I refer them to Wisteria and others?? She probably gets thousands of emails a day so we'll see... I can sort of envision us all on her show...she'd probably make a fortune off of this one!

In the meantime, I have a question. Has anyone looked into, or even considered, subsidized senior housing? In a college town, the housing might be filled with more interesting/artsy people?? If so, does it go solely by income, or do they take into account amt of savings, and also are there any really nice ones in college towns that might possibly even accept a pet or two? (that's my biggest challenge, two med. sized gentle dogs I could never part with, tho one is old). Just wondering about this idea...esp in small college towns....
HUD runs the federal program for subsidized senior housing. There are a lot of buildlings/apartments for elderly handicapped. There are a lot of programs out there for seniors.
http://www.hud.gov/groups/seniors.cfm
Knoxville has well-known high-rise for elderly/disabled right downtown that's surrounded by big buck condo coversions. It's walking distance to everything, including UT. There used to be a bus stop at the door and they're still fighting to get that back. County moved it a block away.
General Information - Knox County
Don't know if they allow pets, they may. Knoxville is pretty animal friendly and UT Vet hospital sponsors programs to provide medical services free or at cost to seniors and low income. The county even provides transport services to take low-income/senior owners and their pets to vet care.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
HUD runs the federal program for subsidized senior housing. ...There are a lot of programs out there for seniors.
Senior Citizens - HUD
search for section 213, which is for cooperatively owned senior housing. A 40yr 100% loan option. It can apply to a group of single homes, mobile homes, apartments... sounds perfect for 'the gals'.

here is a very informative Power Point in the program.
www.hud.gov/local/mn/working/mf/2007-07-23f.ppt
Fact Sheet on Distributive Shares Under Section 213 - HUD

There is not an income or wealth limit for this program (to my knowledge).

It is for CO-OPERATIVE ownership, (not to be confused with cohousing or communes or condos). You each own a 'membership share' of the whole joint (usually defined by your selected unit). There is a preference for 'limited-equity', which helps keep the price down for future members. Your payments are tax deductible, to the extent that they include debt service to the mortgage + property taxes) + when you sell your membership, you get the amount you paid back + the limited equity (usually 3-5% / yr).

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
search for section 213, which is for cooperatively owned senior housing. A 40yr 100% loan option. It can apply to a group of single homes, mobile homes, apartments... sounds perfect for 'the gals'.

here is a very informative Power Point in the program.
www.hud.gov/local/mn/working/mf/2007-07-23f.ppt
Fact Sheet on Distributive Shares Under Section 213 - HUD

There is not an income or wealth limit for this program (to my knowledge).

It is for CO-OPERATIVE ownership, (not to be confused with cohousing or communes or condos). You each own a 'membership share' of the whole joint (usually defined by your selected unit). There is a preference for 'limited-equity', which helps keep the price down for future members. Your payments are tax deductible, to the extent that they include debt service to the mortgage + property taxes) + when you sell your membership, you get the amount you paid back + the limited equity (usually 3-5% / yr).
JanB, I don't understand the co-operative ownership model. This is for seniors, and it's one big building with separate units? I looked on the HUD website and didn't find links directly to specific housing based on this model.
Would these be relatively nice places, or super-high-rise buidlings? Any info appreciated, as it recently occurred to me to at least look into subs. housing.

KNOX, are these senior subsidized places well built and attractive and in nice areas of town?

Thanks for the good info

Old 03-17-2009, 12:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
JanB, I don't understand the co-operative ownership model. This is for seniors, and it's one big building with separate units? I looked on the HUD website and didn't find links directly to specific housing based on this model.
Would these be relatively nice places, or super-high-rise buidlings? Any info appreciated, as it recently occurred to me to at least look into subs. housing.
the typical Senior Co-op is 1-3 level apartment style (~50-150 units) with common (interior) WIDE halls, not 'upscale' like cruise-ship style joints that rent for $3000, more tailored to middle income seniors who have some equity (~20k) to put as down payment on their share., then monthly fees are ~ $800 - $1000, which are 60% payment and 10% property tax (deductible if you itemize). Some co-ops have subsidized units. There are also some rural places with under 20 residents, and all groundlevel with shared garden spaces. (search for 'Homestead senior housing')
Here are some websites
Senior Cooperative Foundation
Realife Inc. - Cooperative Living (http://www.realifeinc.com/cooperativeliving.html - broken link)
(here is a resource to help you create / fund a co-op complex)
NCB Capital Impact

BUT.... as mentioned the HUD 213 is a financing vehicle for co-op senior housing, and it is not restricted to type (refurb apartments, a community of cottages, convent, mobile home park, ...) an alternative for Mobile Home Parks (MHP) is ROC USA - Making Resident-Ownership of Manufactured Home Communities Viable Nationwide CFED | Focus | ROC USA (http://www.cfed.org/focus.m?parentid=2&siteid=2653&id=2653 - broken link)

The benefits of Co-op owned housing is that folks seem to care for each other, and the property, AND they are actively involved in the decisions / management. BUT NOT the upkeep (like a house). They typically are lots younger than 'old folks', but age-in-place comfortably if health allows.

Co-op owned housing is popular in NYC, but not necessarily HUD 213 (senior specific)

There is also a lot of activity around NORC (Naturally Occurring Retirement Community) Senior Resource for Aging in Place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement