Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 AM

205 posts, read 397,305 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Have been away (mentally) for a while - trying to adjust to life with just one furry friend. After having to have Sascha put to sleep (sick, not going to get better) I took my older cat (Koviack - 18 years old) to the vet for a complete check up, vaccine updates, etc. He had a reaction to the vaccines and was lethargic, dull eyed and wasn't eating. Took him back to the vet on Monday where he ended up staying for 3 days/2 nights on an IV drip for dehydration. He is much, much better now. Has the bounce back in his step, vocalizing, eating and drinking - being Koviack. But I have to realize he is 18 and I will be loosing him too, one day. Just feel like I've lost too many loved ones in too short a time. Makes me more aware of my mortality. But like the vet said, don't think about Koviack's age - just love and enjoy him. How true!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:21 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Hey, there we go! We'll get our national business going! We'll have drop-ship from each location we're in for orders! The Dancing Peppers Women's Collective!

Only, since it's someone else's design, I'd have to draw another set of dancing peppers -- with everyone's input as to how to spice up these little pepper women!

Okay, Knoxgarden, you're down for the windchimes and stained glass dancing peppers!!
Sounds good to me!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Default NewEnglandGirl moves forward

I just want to update where I am, and thank everyone who's posted or sent me encouraging comments. I am going ahead and listing my house this week, as is! I am not going to worry any more about it being show-perfect (which it will never be, since it's an older home and it is what it is). I've decided to stay around the family members I have in this area, rather than relocate (my decision would have been different 10 yrs ago, but I hit 60 and moving again after this move is not an option~~unless it's into the subsidized old folks farm)...this is scary, to sell the house, as many of you know...without knowing exactly where I'm going...but at least I know now, after months and months of searching and deliberations, it will be to an area town that is not as desirable as where I am but has less exp taxes and better public transp. It's a necessary tradeoff, no choices at this point. I just hope it sells quickly so I don't have to go thru months and months of showings
Spring (a cold one so far) is finally coming to NewEngl, just in time to avert my nervous breakdown...it was truly a long, isolated winter. I can't wait to be around more people again, no matter what kind of house/apt I end up in!

Anyone else made any bold decisions?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:11 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Hey, there we go! We'll get our national business going

Don't forget about our tapestry-book that we are going to write together. All about how our very divergent lives (each writing a different chapter) converged and took a new path. Well, it's something to think about anyway.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-04-2009, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,333 times
Default HI Wisteria, I am Cristina from the AARP community. I checked this site, I love it! There's so much information.

HI Wisteria, I am Cristina from the AARP community. I checked this site, I love it! There's so much information. I also love the mountains, New Mexico sounds a great place to live. Yes, we need a place for women between 50 to 65 who are vibrant, with various interests in hiking, going back to college, opera, dancing and hey in a place where we can eventually meet some nice men to go out to see a movie, dining, et. Not necessarily to marry but someone to enjoy some time together. What do you think?

[URL]http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/Wisteriacats/72c49811.pbw[/URL]

Slide Show ONE

[URL]http://s166.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/Wisteriacats/697dffab.pbw[/URL]
Slide TWO

I wonder if enough people reply, if we can mix and match, and maybe find women going to similar places so that we know someone in those places. I

Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
Being busily putting off doing some work, I bought the domain name dancingpeppercoop.com (also .net and .org -- package at godaddy.com)
dancingpepper(s).com were taken and dancingpepperscoop reads funny.
I've got webspace. I used to have a web design business that never really did much and I've still got my reseller account which lets me put a lot of websites up. I keep the plant swap site there.
I'll put something up with blogs or ways to contribute over the next week or so and we can see what happens.
I use a winking mouse for my logo, so a dancing pepper shouldn't be hard to do.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:31 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Knox... - Great job!! Is there a cost for all this?

NE Girl - It has to feel good to at least make a decision so at least part of the unknown is now known - it's the only way to move forward!!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM

66 posts, read 162,159 times
Dear newenglandgirl. This is so me. Do you have a remedy for this? Thanks for posting it.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Being busily putting off doing some work, I bought the domain name dancingpeppercoop.com (also .net and .org -- package at godaddy.com)
dancingpepper(s).com were taken and dancingpepperscoop reads funny.
I've got webspace. I used to have a web design business that never really did much and I've still got my reseller account which lets me put a lot of websites up. I keep the plant swap site there.
I'll put something up with blogs or ways to contribute over the next week or so and we can see what happens.
I use a winking mouse for my logo, so a dancing pepper shouldn't be hard to do.
Sounds interesting!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Default NewEnglGirl needs encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWhere View Post
Dear newenglandgirl. This is so me. Do you have a remedy for this? Thanks for posting it.
Dear Wondering Where,
I haven't seen your posts before. What is your situation? Are you in New Engl?

I need all the positive support I can get in finally listing my house. It's not something I would prefer to do. I've poured a lot of $ into this fixer-upper over the past 10 yrs and finally the house is DONE (to the extent an old ranch can be done), and the area is beautiful, so that's why it's so hard to leave. But the isolation in the burbs, and esp the rising prop taxes, are pushing me to change my living situation. Wherever I move next is the final move before the (subsidized) happy valley old folks home

I have to stay positive and not get fearful! Anyone else out there at my age (60+) living on the edge and wondering what to do and how to cope??

~~NewEnglGirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement