Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 13,674 times

Advertisements

single women retire to woodburn, oregon Senior Estates because it's wayyyyyyy safe and you can buy a home in the lower $100,000 ranges

Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM

189 posts, read 710,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
now) 50/50 - I really understand about your dad. There's a hugh hole that nothing will ever fill - let's hope you find something or someone to help fill it. Maybe that's what you're searching for?
MN2CO -- thanks for the thoughts on my Dad. Coming home from Prescott on Thursday, I passed many spots he and I visited while on a road trip in 1990 -- it was very emotional for me. I stopped at a Navajo trading post in Cameron, AZ, where he and I stopped for lunch back then. Suddenly, 19 years just melted away -- I almost expected him to be up the next aisle looking at t-shirts. Wonderful memories, but it sure tugs at our heartstrings when it comes to missing loved ones.

I think I'm leaning towards Arizona just because it was the last place he lived happily.

Anyway, back to the thread topics. It's nice to know we're not alone in this search for the right place for us.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Great essay, 50-50. For many years, I always wanted to go back to CO ever since we left it at age 13. But what I found as I am nearing being in a position to choose exactly that is I don't really want to anymore. I have a greater concentration of family there than anywhere else. 50-50 expressed very well why I think I am reluctant to go back now. It really isn't much like it was 45 years ago and economically, I'm not sure how well it would work. While my house value has dropped significantly, Denver's hasn't much. Weird since Denver has always been a boom or bust town. Colorado Springs was taken over by the extreme fundamentalist christian right and so many beautiful places in the mountains are covered with high priced condos and golf courses. I remember Vail when it was a sleepy little ski town in that beautiful valley. when I remember how breathtakingly beautiful it was and look at it now, it is very sad.

As far as Ft Collins goes, I was appalled at the horrendous traffic on 287 and the saturated strip mall all the way to Loveland. The downtown still had the angle parking and looked much the same and north part was still ratty and industrial but all the rest was nothing but shopping. And that was some 10 years ago. It seems to have all the sprawl and development with no corresponding infrastructure to handle it. Just the same old country road with all that junk.

So, I'm considering other places.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:56 PM

189 posts, read 710,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Great essay, 50-50. For many years, I always wanted to go back to CO ever since we left it at age 13. But what I found as I am nearing being in a position to choose exactly that is I don't really want to anymore. I have a greater concentration of family there than anywhere else. 50-50 expressed very well why I think I am reluctant to go back now. It really isn't much like it was 45 years ago and economically, I'm not sure how well it would work. While my house value has dropped significantly, Denver's hasn't much. Weird since Denver has always been a boom or bust town. Colorado Springs was taken over by the extreme fundamentalist christian right and so many beautiful places in the mountains are covered with high priced condos and golf courses. I remember Vail when it was a sleepy little ski town in that beautiful valley. when I remember how breathtakingly beautiful it was and look at it now, it is very sad.

As far as Ft Collins goes, I was appalled at the horrendous traffic on 287 and the saturated strip mall all the way to Loveland. The downtown still had the angle parking and looked much the same and north part was still ratty and industrial but all the rest was nothing but shopping. And that was some 10 years ago. It seems to have all the sprawl and development with no corresponding infrastructure to handle it. Just the same old country road with all that junk.

So, I'm considering other places.
I've heard it said that Colorado is a state of mind -- I think that's really true. When I moved to Denver in '82, they said it was only a matter of time before the area twixt Ft. Collins and Co Springs merged together in one big strip. Well, it's happened. Why go back to that.

As for Vail, we're definitely on the same page there. To me, it's a very sterile place -- nothing but brick, mortar, and pseudo-sophistication as seen in the sour faces of shop clerks and almost everybody else I've ever encountered there. I've skied everywhere in that I-70 corridor except Vail -- just out of protest.

You're smart to stay where your people are. I'd do the same, except all my people are scattered around in several states, so I'll just rely on email, phone, and visits to keep in touch with them. I'm a lone wolf out here, and that's the way it's gonna stay, for better or for worse. But it's fun to make new friends too -- I think I have a special appreciation for friends (including my dogs) just because I have no family left.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
I've heard it said that Colorado is a state of mind -- I think that's really true. When I moved to Denver in '82, they said it was only a matter of time before the area twixt Ft. Collins and Co Springs merged together in one big strip. Well, it's happened. Why go back to that.

As for Vail, we're definitely on the same page there. To me, it's a very sterile place -- nothing but brick, mortar, and pseudo-sophistication as seen in the sour faces of shop clerks and almost everybody else I've ever encountered there. I've skied everywhere in that I-70 corridor except Vail -- just out of protest.

You're smart to stay where your people are. I'd do the same, except all my people are scattered around in several states, so I'll just rely on email, phone, and visits to keep in touch with them. I'm a lone wolf out here, and that's the way it's gonna stay, for better or for worse. But it's fun to make new friends too -- I think I have a special appreciation for friends (including my dogs) just because I have no family left.
I don't have any people where I am now - just some friends. Mine are scattered too but the largest concentration is in CO.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
I'm tired. We had our semi-annual plant swap yesterday. Had a great time and got a lot of super plants that I had to get planted.
I've got some photos up on the website:
Knoxville Plant Swap
It's amazing how this has grown. Four of us that met at another swap decided to start this one. About 10 people showed up for the first one three years. We had at least 60 swappers there yesterday. Very satisfying.
It was held at one of the newest Knox County parks. It has a nice shelter plus plenty of parking and relatively cheap rent and is just a mile off the Interstate.
Plant swaps are a great way to make new friends and get plants for free. I came home with quart pots of tarragon and Rosemary, 8 basil plants, a lotus for my water garden, a bunch of other things I'm not sure what they are (people just put them in my car when I wasn't looking) and a big box of rocks to build some mini-waterfalls.
My next-door-neighbor unloaded it all for me.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Knox - Sounds wonderful - great idea Knowing that I'm not staying here, I won't be putting any additional stuff in - it's killin me! I don't go to the nurseries because I don't trust myself.

I really wish I was settled at my retirement spot - my whole life feels like it's "on hold" I'm having a pity party - want to come over - NO!

I pop into the community chat "Cozy Inn" and Dancingearth has a picture of her new bridge for her backyard - too cool! I WANT A BRIDGE!

Ok,enough..................

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaBound View Post
single women retire to woodburn, oregon Senior Estates because it's wayyyyyyy safe and you can buy a home in the lower $100,000 ranges
Is that where you live?

Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Knox - Sounds wonderful - great idea Knowing that I'm not staying here, I won't be putting any additional stuff in - it's killin me! I don't go to the nurseries because I don't trust myself.

I really wish I was settled at my retirement spot - my whole life feels like it's "on hold" I'm having a pity party - want to come over - NO!

I pop into the community chat "Cozy Inn" and Dancingearth has a picture of her new bridge for her backyard - too cool! I WANT A BRIDGE!

Ok,enough..................
LOL...hug....I'll come over I am at the point where I'm avoiding the nursery now too until fall. We'll see if I last. After I put that bridge in I thought how nice a locust tree would look right next to it. Your turn will come. The last five years the only thing I planted was some herbs and rhubarb at my rental place.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I'm tired. We had our semi-annual plant swap yesterday. Had a great time and got a lot of super plants that I had to get planted.
I've got some photos up on the website:
Knoxville Plant Swap
It's amazing how this has grown. Four of us that met at another swap decided to start this one. About 10 people showed up for the first one three years. We had at least 60 swappers there yesterday. Very satisfying.
It was held at one of the newest Knox County parks. It has a nice shelter plus plenty of parking and relatively cheap rent and is just a mile off the Interstate.
Plant swaps are a great way to make new friends and get plants for free. I came home with quart pots of tarragon and Rosemary, 8 basil plants, a lotus for my water garden, a bunch of other things I'm not sure what they are (people just put them in my car when I wasn't looking) and a big box of rocks to build some mini-waterfalls.
My next-door-neighbor unloaded it all for me.
That looks like fun! I want to join the community garden because they have potlucks and fun together gardening but I have too much work here to do!

P.S. I'll post some picture so my bridge in my albums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement