Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 07:36 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

Thanks, karcon. I had been using a laptop with that middle part (I really need a mouse to type). Tomorrow my furniture should all be here & then the REAL work begins, I will be so glad to get settled and just have everything fixed up. I am not as creative as wisteria, though. But, I will take before and after shots.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-17-2009, 11:56 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordFlowers View Post
... I like Lakewood or Wheatridge CO for being near 14,000 ft mountains and having nice open space and trails...
I can certainly agree that Lakewood and Wheat Ridge are outstanding places to live. I would add my city of Arvada to to this list as it also has extensive parks and trails and sits quietly on the edge of the Northwest Metro Area. These western older suburbs of Denver are ideal because you have quick access to Downtown Denver and at the same time you are nearby to all the recreation of the Rocky Mountain Foothills.

I live about 5 miles from Downtown Denver but at the same time I am within 1-2 miles of reservoirs, lakes, clear creek, Ralston creek, wildlife refuges, trails and open space that connect all through the metro area. In addition, the area of Northwest Denver that I live near is becoming the in place to live with renewal of older neighborhoods with shops, restaurants and housing.

It is really astounding the amount of parks and open space in Denver and its suburbs. Yes, Denver is wonderful place to live. That is why, with all my problems, I am able to
Livecontent

Old 10-18-2009, 09:51 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,702 times
Talking Nancy......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Thanks, karcon. I had been using a laptop with that middle part (I really need a mouse to type). Tomorrow my furniture should all be here & then the REAL work begins, I will be so glad to get settled and just have everything fixed up. I am not as creative as wisteria, though. But, I will take before and after shots.
Congratulations on your achievement

I'm looking forward to seeing your before & after photos and ~~~ can you also post a few pics of the neighborhood surrounding the mobile estates community?

Old 10-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,224 times
Hi Folks,

I just got back from Nancy's place -- the movers were there and unloading. She has a very nice, airy living room, and her deck is bigger than mine and has a nice view of the mountains from it! I am sure she will be busy for awhile, but I think she has a very nice place.

This morning after the movers left, she and I and her daughter went to the nearby Farmers' Market and had homemade crepes for breakfast -- delicious! I wish I had brought my camera. It is a great farmers' market and Nancy got some beautiful purple sage for her new house. I think she is still surprised that it is in the 70s and sunny yet here. We ate outside at tables under sun umbrellas. The Farmers' Market is only a block from the ocean, a block from Twin Lakes Beach (see link below), and two blocks (maybe one and a half) from our places! Yep, this is Central California!

I am still working on my place. It will take me more time just because I still have the full-time job....not that I don't want to retire, because I do, but I realize I do need to keep working a bit longer because of finances. However, I am resigned to know that it will be a lot longer getting this place in order, but I am still glad I made the move.

Yesterday, I spent most of my day at a baby shower....I received the invitation at my post office box and the woman who sent it did not know I had moved. Was I surprised that I saw that the shower was being held at....the clubhouse of our park!! Yes, her mother moved up to Santa Cruz from southern California, moved into the same park, and the shower was held in our clubhouse! Was she surprised to see that I live right across from it!!

As for our neighborhood, maybe Nancy can get some good photos to send. Unfortunately, I am working all day, so I'm not able to get many photos during the day except for in-between errands and working on the house on weekends. Until I am fully unpacked and settled, I won't have much time to go around and take photos. But, honestly, we really ARE right next to many places that tourists visit and people pay loads of money to stay in vacation houses for. For instance, this beach just down the street, called Twin Lakes Beach on East Cliff Drive, is the main beach next to the boat harbor and is part of our neighborhood and what we see as we drive to the store, work, etc. It's only a few blocks away and is very much part of our neighborhood and what we regularly see. It's very popular -- and.....ironically, the photo I have linked here is the very one on City-Data! Haha! //www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc36574.php

I have a lot of other things I need to do right now, so I was just checking in. I think that Nancy is fitting in quite well to the California lifestyle! Yes, we did have rain a few days ago, but now it is warm and sunny again! The flowers are in full bloom, lots of beautiful floral colors all over, the palm trees are a nice sight to behold, and you sure can't beat the miles of ocean from one end of town to the other! I think Nancy did a great job! Her house is going to be so cute, and we'll both be looking forward to seeing some of you visit here! Our cottage village is beginning to bloom!

Last edited by Wisteria; 10-18-2009 at 07:47 PM..

Old 10-19-2009, 09:06 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
hi , everyone !

Yes, that Farmers' Market is a great place and it is open all year round now. Wisteria is right; we are only blocks away from the ocean & the lavender mountains are right there in the near distance. I have tons to do to make my house livable , but it will come in time. It's so different living in California after having spent a lifetime on Long Island.
It would be great to have you visit when we are settled. Wisteria is such a wonderful advocate for Santa Cruz. They should be paying her. I do have some photos of the local beaches and all and if I can figure out how to include them in these messages , I will be puttoing some of them on line. There is even one of Wisteria and me in the Redwoods.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-21-2009 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I am dying to see your photos Nancy.. I am so happy for you to have found a place to start out retirement.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:35 AM

73 posts, read 299,581 times
Way to go Nancy! What was the tripping point to get you to move to Santa Cruz (over all the other choices)? Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:03 PM

205 posts, read 397,162 times
Kudos, Nancy. And what a wonderful neighbor to have in Wisteria!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times
After not following the world's longest thread here, who else will be joining you in the not too distant future?

Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,545,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I know lots of people don't like colors in their house, but I feel happier with them, so I've got them. And, like I said, I can always paint over them if I don't like them! The beauty of paint! Lol.
It looks great Wisteria...much lighter and very beachy! My sister is an Interior Designer, and she used lots of blue and beige in their beach house when she decorated it! Color is good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement