Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 01:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I... I don't begrudge them that, but by and large they were one mightily comfortable generation
Maybe GG got 'payback benefits' for being 'depression era' kids, and WWII participants (where they lost many close friends, and had a good dose of sacrifice).

I feel the BB'ers will get to show their stuff by; how we can weather the current crisis, and adapt to significant change this late in our life. (actually not something I was planning for ) but, on to plan D (lookers coming to see Casa Grande on Tues, must get busy pitching 'stuff'!!)

Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe GG got 'payback benefits' for being 'depression era' kids, and WWII participants (where they lost many close friends, and had a good dose of sacrifice).

I feel the BB'ers will get to show their stuff by; how we can weather the current crisis, and adapt to significant change this late in our life. (actually not something I was planning for ) but, on to plan D (lookers coming to see Casa Grande on Tues, must get busy pitching 'stuff'!!)
\
Sending lots of vibes for good luck!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM

121 posts, read 292,501 times
Default BBB's & a dad who said "I never raised you to be chattel!"

Hi BBs'!
I've been catching up on this wonderful thread and wish we could all live in the same neighborhood so we could share a cup of tea or a glass of wine whenever we pleased! It seems as though many of us are searching for the same things, ie: sense of community, safe neighborhood, plenty of space for our dogs, good transportation, healthcare nearby and cheap! Not too mention decent weather! And, lest I forget, cultural stimulation! I think we're talking about heaven and I'm not quite ready to go there yet! I've lived in Key West, Santa Fe, New Mexico, North Carolina, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, Idaho Falls, San Diego, CA, New Orleans, Cedar City, Utah, the Big Island of Hawaii and now I'm back in San Diego County,CA, my native state. I've been back here for twenty years! (I wonder why?) Every place has its pluses and minuses. I'm leaving April 1 (no foolin!)to check out Southwest Washington State. They just had a nasty storm there and are expecting another while I'm there. What better time to check out an area for potential retirment re-location? I haven't given up on the PNW. Got my mortgage loan pre-qual and I'm a-lookin! Let's face it, I GOT SALTWATER IN MY VEINS! I got a purdy little sailboat and my skin needs some humiditity as long as it's under 75 degrees humidity!. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find in Grays County and surrounding areas of Southwest WA. Yea, it rains alot! But, due to the limited public services, it's the cheapest area in WA west of the Cascades! Plus, I'm used to driving, I put 3000 miles a month on my car just commuting to work and running errands! When I get too old to drive, I'll move! (That is if I still have all my faculties!)
Fairwinds

Old 03-30-2010, 10:34 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Fairwinds - good luck on your trip. I sure hope you find your Nirvana I'm still hoping that when the dust settles and we have ended up somewhere we can still have a meetup somewhere and share our stories. I know they will all be GOOD stories - right!

We definitely have plenty of animal lovers in our midst - this is a good thing! Best of luck!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:05 AM

73 posts, read 299,649 times
Good luck Fairwinds - looking forward to your trip report

Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
Have a good trip, Fairwinds.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
::: Strolls in with her Swiffer Duster ... makes a pass over the end tables and reaches up to flick it over the ceiling fan ... starts sneezing ... looks in idea box ... :::

Guess I'll take another trip to Arizona and visit some more towns.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
::: Strolls in with her Swiffer Duster ... makes a pass over the end tables and reaches up to flick it over the ceiling fan ... starts sneezing ... looks in idea box ... :::

Guess I'll take another trip to Arizona and visit some more towns.
spring has surely arrived..............
the gypsy spirit awakens............
and the search again resumes........

all together, "happy trails to you........until we "meet" again....."

enjoy your wanderings!!

(another night of out-of-sync sleeping patterns...............my own april 30th deadline may lean toward unrealistic optimism and thus am being advised to extend for another moon before setting off on my own adventure....if i've waited this long, sigh, perhaps another month is not so much to ask..........)

Old 04-11-2010, 01:16 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
I'm leaning toward moving from Northern California to New Mexico. I've been retired a few years, long enough to know what I want, and I definitely want to move. I liked visiting New Mexico when my mother spent several years there; I love the desert; and I want to live in a dry climate.

My lease is up this fall, so I have time to look. I'm planning to visit Albuquerque in July or August and lease an apartment for six months. After that, I may buy a condo.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:53 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
It seems as though many of us are searching for the same things, ie: sense of community, safe neighborhood, plenty of space for our dogs, good transportation, healthcare nearby and cheap! Not too mention decent weather! And, lest I forget, cultural stimulation!
One more thing for me that will play a major role in my decision is a place where I can find a part time job. I think that will be the dealbreaker in any choices I would like to make (like staying in the Pacific Northwest) as opposed to the choice I will have to make. I wonder if this is a concern for others following this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement