Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 12:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,541 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm so tired, but have to at least say I'm still here. been a bit down, overwhelmed, and still haven't caught up with the group. I'm so glad you're all here, and hope all are well. I can't wait to catch up---don't leave without me!
Anomoly

Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I'm so tired, but have to at least say I'm still here. been a bit down, overwhelmed, and still haven't caught up with the group. I'm so glad you're all here, and hope all are well. I can't wait to catch up---don't leave without me!
Anomoly
Hi Anomoly,
Good to hear from you again! I think the Memorial Day Weekend (which is still going on for some people), has kept posts down, lately.

Actually, I am seriously going to "try" to sell my house in California this next year. After doing yard work this weekend, and just seeing how much land I have, and at my age, I know I cannot keep this up. It really is a place for a young family who loves nature, and has a child, and lots of pets. It would be a wonderful place for them to raise their family -- I really have terrific neighbors (!), and I'd like to see someone nice come into that spot. Just putting the word out.

So, keep me on the list, too!! Don't leave without me, either!

Thanks for checking in. How is everyone else doing??

Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_spirit View Post
Hi Anomoly - you were in Tucson! I think you stopped posting around the time I started. I live in Tucson. Too bad we didn't connect.

Is anyone going to be in northern New Mexico between May 19-26?
I'm also staying overnight on my way in Truth or Consequences on the night of May 18th.
DAMN IT! I missed you! Today is Tuesday, May 27! I'm trying to catch up, did you go through TrC?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:17 PM

MOLLBLYTHE SAID: To each of you ladies who have made multiple moves and lived various places, this is something I feel I've missed. Since I was six, I've lived within a 20 mile radius. As a kid, I, like many young people, planned to get the heck out of dodge. Never did I think I would stay with the same employer for 30 years which effectively kept me here. The great thing about hanging in there for all that time was being able to take early retirement with attendant pension. I again planned to move but, as with many of us "Boomers", the care of a parent became a priority. For those of you who've moved multiple times, are you glad to have had this experience? Or would you have liked to have put deeper roots down somewhere?

MY RESPONSE: YES! I'm still struck with curiosity when I meet people in small towns who've lived there all their lives. I just really can't imagine it, after growing up in So. Cal, and living in a variety of places. But then, it's always been out west. I laugh when I think about back east. The other day, someone told me Pennsylvania was close to NJ and NY. I thought it was by Chicago, or Ohio... So, I guess I'm just a small town girl from the West!
But, I definitely think living in various places, and travelling extensively has added a perspective to life that is unknown to those who've grown up in their hometown. I wouldn't trade it. On the other hand, the anonymity of 'city life' is a double edged sword. You can disappear or live without the scrutiny, but the lack of 'support systems' is often the price of privacy.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
For you ladies who are thinking about New Mexico, I came across this listing on another site. Looks kinda interesting and not far from Truth or Consequences: Hillsboro, New Mexico Compound with Land For Sale
Hillsboro is beautiful, although I haven't checked your link yet. BUT, it's too far away from everything for me.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Hi Everyone. It's killing me to have to skim the messages to catch up. I feel like I have to read every detail before I post, but the truth is that it keeps me from catching up.
So, if my posts are not quite right, it's because I haven't gotten the details.
DANCING EARTH: You bought a place!! Wow!
ASTROLOGY: I've been dying to join this one! Those of you in the know, will recognize my lifepath in a heartbeat:
I am sun in Aquarius, moon in Aqaurius, Libra rising, Venus in Aquarius.

Sun in Aquarius:[SIZE=2]
In this lifetime you are very much concerned with what happens in the world, the larger sphere outside your own immediate personal concerns, and you cannot separate yourself from the issues and challenges of your generation and society as a whole whether you are active in politics, community service, organizing and managing groups of people for a unified purpose, promoting new concepts and innovations which will affect many people's lives, or simply living your life in a socially conscious way. [/SIZE]

In whatever field you pursue, you are likely to be an innovator, a maverick, a little unusual, or ahead of your time, and surround yourself with other free thinking individuals.
Moon in Aquarius:[SIZE=2]
You have a deep-seeded streak of unconventionality and an unwillingness to be bound by traditional stereotypes, rules, or authority imposed from outside yourself, so much so that you may feel conspicuously different or "from another planet" when in the company of people who do not question or think for themselves.[/SIZE]

Libra Rising and Venus in Aquarius:[SIZE=2]
Your ruling planet, Venus, is in the idealistic, free-thinking, and unconventional sign of Aquarius, suggesting that you seek new solutions and alternatives in order to create harmony and make the world a better place. A concern for social justice and social betterment are woven into your very fabric. You have an "us" (rather than "I") approached to life. Active involvement in your community, especially in conflict resolution and facilitating or coordinating groups of people to cooperate and help one another, is essential to fulfilling your soul function. [/SIZE]

I cannot escape who I am! And never wanted to, but it's always been a challenge!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:19 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,559 times
Hey all, I keep trying to write but this little person keeps crawling on my lap and giving me hugs and distracting me (my 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter) I'm in PA -- 1/2 hour from NJ and an hour from NY--you made me laugh Anomoly but you are also right--it's a lonnnnnnnnnng state--it also borders Ohio but it is 370 miles from Chicago. I'm having a good time but it was hot today--humid! I'm a humidty wimp after living so long in the west.

Today an old friend and I went to the Allentown Art Museum and saw their Italian Renaissance paintings which was fun since I've been researching costumes from that time period and got to see them upclose in the paintings. Then we went to a used bookstore and I found a historic costume book for $10.

I've been in your situation Wisteria with the yardwork. I don't plan on growing any grass at my new house--my motto is no mowing allowed. I want a patio and garden beds. The space is just big enough that I don't think it will overwhelm me. Here's a picture of it after it rained for two days. I'll need to incorporate drainage into the plan. My son is eager to use some of the things he's been learning in college to design a plan to use the runoff to irrigate the gardens.

Wow Anomoly - that's a lot of Aquarius in your chart. Does the Libra help balance you? I feel full of opposites with the Aquarius Rising and Scorpio sun, moon. I think my Aquarius side really doesn't work well in PA long term but is wholly at home in New Mexico. Enough differences to satisfy my need for diversity. I enjoy visiting PA but look forward to returning to NM and getting packed, moved, and settled in my new home. There are others for sale in the area if you get your home sold Wisteria
Attached Thumbnails
Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-march-2007-076.jpg   Men and Women retiring alone to a new city/state -- where will you go and why?-march-2007-079.jpg  

Old 05-28-2008, 10:55 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Quote:
DancingEarth: Wow Anomoly - that's a lot of Aquarius in your chart. Does the Libra help balance you? I feel full of opposites with the Aquarius Rising and Scorpio sun, moon. I think my Aquarius side really doesn't work well in PA long term but is wholly at home in New Mexico. Enough differences to satisfy my need for diversity. I enjoy visiting PA but look forward to returning to NM and getting packed, moved, and settled in my new home. There are others for sale in the area if you get your home sold Wisteria.
Thanks -- I am going to get the house ready for the end of summer or fall to put on the market -- who knows how long it will take -- or if I can get enough to even move??? I already contacted a realtor who does really nice listings -- virtual tours, good write-ups (and me being a wordsmith, I read those carefully), and lots of photos. She and I will be meeting next month to talk about it -- it's too busy right now with high school graduation and all the other activities that is involving. Originally, I planned to stay for two more years while my daughter is going to college -- but she seems to be pretty intent on being independent, and I figure I might as well try now, instead of hanging out seeing if she needs a place to stay with me. She seems like she's getting things together on her own. So, it's good to know about more housing. Looks like you've got a great piece of property to transform into a magical setting!!

Quote:
anomoly Hi Everyone. It's killing me to have to skim the messages to catch up. I feel like I have to read every detail before I post, but the truth is that it keeps me from catching up.
So, if my posts are not quite right, it's because I haven't gotten the details.
ASTROLOGY: I've been dying to join this one! Those of you in the know, will recognize my lifepath in a heartbeat:
I am sun in Aquarius, moon in Aqaurius, Libra rising, Venus in Aquarius.
Anomoly, I hear you! I don't have the Aquarius that much, but I do have most of my planets in the 5th and 6th house.

Actually, although I don't talk about it much, I have professionally given "readings," and things of that sort. PM me for more info, if interested -- I'd rather not talk about it much here. So, my intuitive side finds all this stuff fascinating. Anomoly, I thought it could be fun to have a little store-front and make it into a metaphysical/fun place for people and tourists -- in Truth or Consequences -- (it is cheap there, and some weirdos). A site to work nationally from....just musing here.

My daughter is an Aquarius and has a stellium (five planets -- many in Capricorn) in her 5th house....she is definitely a "think waayyy outside the box" kid! But she does have a moon in Leo and Virgo rising, along with the Capricorn, so she gets some grounding -- not surprising that she plans to go into International Business and wants to help the world in the process!

This is becoming a revealing thread.....

Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,564 times
I love this thread, I check it regularly. I know that most of you know each other, and have shared a lot. It's so interesting to see who things are evolving...I feel I am in the same situation as a lot of you. I love reading about people's thoughts and experiences.
Just saying hi!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
I check on this thread all the time. It's like meeting up with old friends. And, this is from a Scorpio sun and Aries moon. NO Aquarius (or any air signs) are in my horoscope. Wonder what that means. I wonder if there is a best place to live for each sign. Couldn't we collaborate on a book abouit that, guys?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement