Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 06:23 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
The vet shaved the old boy and revealed a nasty looking wound. Not deep but it looks like his skin is not healing. Couldn't find the source of the evil cat's wound so we concluded the old boy got one claw in him. I finally get them back with tons of medication and bandages. The old boy seemed very uncomfortable and made complaints for a while which he rarely does. He finally went upstairs where he stayed the rest of the afternoon and evening. As sick as the old boy is, this may finally be what does him in if his skin won't heal. .
For wounds that won't heal I use healing clay (you can get it in the health food store in powder form--green clay--and mix with water) or get it from a potter (make sure it's pure green clay with no lead in it). Make a plaster and put it on the wound. Leave it on as long as you want and it will dry and pull out the infection. To get it off just soak the area with warm water till it dissolves. Also, a friend who has horsew swears by Columbia powder for animal infections, you just sprinkle it on and it does the same thing.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,941 times
Quote:
Tesaje: I confine the evil cat regularly. He gets agressive when he can't go outside. The old boy used to be able to fend him off. i just can't quite figure out how traveling with him could possibly work.
I had an evil cat, too. He was actually a purebred ragdoll and he and my little black kitty slept together....WHEN the evil cat would even come in. Being a purebred, I tried to keep him in, but he was so desperate to be outside that he literally clawed the wood out from the bottom of the doors....AND he also ripped to shreds one full window screen!!

He'd come in at night for a little while, cuddle with my black kitty, then demand to go out -- since I couldn't afford to keep losing wood on the doors, window screens and sleep, I'd let him out. The poor black kitty would then just stay in the living room by himself while the rest of us (me, the dog and the tortoise shell) would go to bed. I always felt badly that the black kitty didn't join us.

Fast forward, I moved. But I knew where I was moving to that cats had to stay indoors. The other two were indoor cats (one was a stray who was terribly traumatized when I found her and she does not venture toward an outside door, and the other just has never been out and doesn't ask). So.....evil kitty stayed at the old house!! He was a gorgeous white, long-haired cat with blue eyes -- because he wasn't affectionate (except to black kitty), I used to call him a lawn ornament because he looked so pretty outside amongst the foliage!

Now, black kitty has gotten used to sleeping with me and my tortoise shell. At first he'd sit in the living room and just cry. I'd go out and get him and bring him back with us. Then I realized I had to just bring him into the bed each night, so that he'd know it was okay. He didn't know the evil cat had made him think he couldn't join us. Now....he's the first one onto the bed, and he does not move at all during the night -- once he's there, that's it!!

So, I know what you mean. I did have a couple of other evil cats who were also vicious, but this one was unaffectionate, tore the place apart, and left the poor black kitty all alone....

Animals!

Old 07-09-2010, 04:05 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I had an evil cat, too. He was actually a purebred ragdoll and he and my little black kitty slept together....WHEN the evil cat would even come in. Being a purebred, I tried to keep him in, but he was so desperate to be outside that he literally clawed the wood out from the bottom of the doors....AND he also ripped to shreds one full window screen!!

He'd come in at night for a little while, cuddle with my black kitty, then demand to go out -- since I couldn't afford to keep losing wood on the doors, window screens and sleep, I'd let him out. The poor black kitty would then just stay in the living room by himself while the rest of us (me, the dog and the tortoise shell) would go to bed. I always felt badly that the black kitty didn't join us.

Fast forward, I moved. But I knew where I was moving to that cats had to stay indoors. The other two were indoor cats (one was a stray who was terribly traumatized when I found her and she does not venture toward an outside door, and the other just has never been out and doesn't ask). So.....evil kitty stayed at the old house!! He was a gorgeous white, long-haired cat with blue eyes -- because he wasn't affectionate (except to black kitty), I used to call him a lawn ornament because he looked so pretty outside amongst the foliage!

Now, black kitty has gotten used to sleeping with me and my tortoise shell. At first he'd sit in the living room and just cry. I'd go out and get him and bring him back with us. Then I realized I had to just bring him into the bed each night, so that he'd know it was okay. He didn't know the evil cat had made him think he couldn't join us. Now....he's the first one onto the bed, and he does not move at all during the night -- once he's there, that's it!!

So, I know what you mean. I did have a couple of other evil cats who were also vicious, but this one was unaffectionate, tore the place apart, and left the poor black kitty all alone....

Animals!

The old boy is not doing well at all. The vet said to give him broth & the appetite stimulant drug I have to see if we get another rally. If not, its back to the vet tomorrow. At least he does purr to me & wants to be near. He's not infected so the clay trick isn't suitable. The skin deterioration is from his cancer interferring with the skin healing. Some of the pleasant end of life things. He's rallied so many times, its hard to know if this is the end slide or not.

I have used the clay trick on myself and it does work.

The evil cat is better. Still limping but he can put some weight on the paw now.
My evil cat is extremely friendly & loving to people & dogs. Its cats he's mean tooo. Yet, there's a feral tom hanging around that he's made friends with! Arrrrugggh!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,208 times
Quote:
The old boy is not doing well at all. The vet said to give him broth & the appetite stimulant drug I have to see if we get another rally. If not, its back to the vet tomorrow. At least he does purr to me & wants to be near. He's not infected so the clay trick isn't suitable. The skin deterioration is from his cancer interferring with the skin healing. Some of the pleasant end of life things. He's rallied so many times, its hard to know if this is the end slide or not.

The evil cat is better. Still limping but he can put some weight on the paw now.
My evil cat is extremely friendly & loving to people & dogs. Its cats he's mean tooo. Yet, there's a feral tom hanging around that he's made friends with! Arrrrugggh!
So sorry to hear your babies are going through so much. I hope all turns out well soon.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
So sorry to hear your babies are going through so much. I hope all turns out well soon.
I'm sorry to say he got worse and worse. He started hemoraging pretty much all over. I'm pretty sure he was feeling miserable but the old guy still purred at me when I touched him. Took him in this morning and the vet put him down. He purred till he lost consciousness. So the evil extra cat finally got his wish.

The old boy just couldn't handle the 3rd strike. He was a great cat that I will miss a lot. He lived a good life and was a gentleman cat. I buried him next to his dog buddy who died 2 years ago. We had a good long run.

The evil extra cat was subdued today. He spent most of the day outside sleeping next to the driveway. Just stepped out and saw 3 deer helping themselves to my blackberries. No wonder I haven't found any ripe ones! Maybe it is time I get a dog again. They never came this close to the house when I had dogs.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:24 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Aw, T - so sorry to hear about your little buddy. It is never easy to see them go but it sounds like you saved him from experiencing more pain. Lots of dogs need homes and I have no doubt you'd provide a good one - go for it! The purring til the end - he really loved you

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Aw, T - so sorry to hear about your little buddy. It is never easy to see them go but it sounds like you saved him from experiencing more pain. Lots of dogs need homes and I have no doubt you'd provide a good one - go for it! The purring til the end - he really loved you
Thanks. Yes, he did. And it was mutual.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,782,941 times
I'm so sorry, Tesaje. That must have been an awful experience -- especially the purring.... I feel like crying!!

We had a cat that died in my daughter's arms on the way to the vet -- we didn't make it in time to save him. It was terrible.

Loving animals can be hard on humans. I'm so sorry. It sounds like we are a group of women who love their animals, and I am sure we can empathize.

I'm glad you were there with him. It is just so sad.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:29 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,448,592 times
Quote:

Tesaje. I'm a cat person and also someone that has had great success using wonderful Naturopaths in the Providence area for both myself and my cat. I've also recommended them to other friends with serious health issues who have called them about their pets and reported back to me that for example one person with a cat with terminal cancer who had already been through all the invasive conventional treatments said that when they started using the prescribed natural medicine, their cat actually felt well enough to where he wanted to play etc. and hadn't had that much energy for several months

I posted back on this list originally in late 2007 when I sold my house in RI and moved to southern South Carolina. Here there are no Naturopaths to speak of as practicing it here is for some rediculous reason banned. SC and TN I think are the only two states where it is illegal to practice it...so don't come to SC if you want lots of natural/holistic options... and the veterinary care is barely satisfactory here.... so I still call the Tree of Life Center and set up phone consultations with Peter Morrel there. The website and contact info is www.holisitichealthline.

My 15 year old Norwegian Forest Cat has a seizure disorder called Hyperesthesia and kidneys that showed signs of kidney disease two years ago. He recommended a regime for both problems and for the past 2.5 years so far so good!No real seizures-- where he used to go crazy and growl and chase after and bite his tail and draw blood... and generally only slight indications that he even has Hyperesthesia are evident such as occasional twitching skin (fur) on his back at times and sometimes a little nervousness.

I'm kind of curious to find out if his kidneys may even be improving now that he has been taking a kidney glandular they recommended for so long. I've been thinking of bringing him back to the vet for bloodwork but I don't want to stress out my kitty. Anyway, I highly recommend setting up a phone appointment with either Peter or Jane Jansen there-- to anyone in the forum if you are dealing with any sort of chronic or degenerative health issues for you or your cat(s) or other pets. They have 30 years experience helping people cure so called incurable diseases that conventional doctors can only treat. Their patients are so happy and amazed with their results that they ask them to help them with their pets.

The phone consultations can take an hour and I think they only charge $50 for an initial consultation for a pet. You can fax in medical records so they can see what's been done already. You'll be pleasantly surprised with how quickly your cat responds and how little the services cost compared to how much you already spent on the conventional treatments and how they impacted your cat.

When you go to their website you'll see they also have a radio show in the Providence/Boston area once a week. You can listen to the archives of some shows before you call so you can hear for yourself what fountains of knowledge they are.

Good Luck!

I'll be posting again about the main topic of the thread because I think I might have outgrown this area already and now with the BP oil gusher am thinking it would be safer to move away from parts of the country that some say are at highest risk from the residue of the toxic gaseous clean up methods used that could create toxic rain and ruin crops. I'm sort of looking for an intentional community that is semi-survival oriented that is off grid as much as possible!

Emily

Old 07-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I'm sort of looking for an intentional community that is semi-survival oriented that is off grid as much as possible!
quite a few choices in your quest
Ecovillage Directory - List of Ecovillages
+ many MANY more.

I plan to be creating that on a much smaller scale (~ 3 part-time resident / owners), in rural but not remote settings. (I like availability to culture, colleges, and international airports). I also like CHEAP, (energy, taxes, housing, transportation, food, medical) those needs may require some sites to be 'off-shore'.

OT
I'm glad I've never had an 'evil-cat'. I just met my first this yr while staying in a guest home. I see they can be very scary and unpredictable. I guess as a 'farm kid', that kind of animal was 'sent-to-the-sale-barn' or dealt with by some other solution (presumably by the 'mellow' farm dog that suffered one too many 'unprovoked' attacks). Old cats don't seem to become a problem in the country. Tho I did have a 3 legged 'survivor' who was getting pretty old that I left at the last farm. She was the only cat I ever had that would take on Raccoons who took an interest in her food dish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.