Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 11:46 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Thanks, Umbria, for posting the new names.

Karcon, Wow, what a great trip!! Gee, makes me want a vacation now! Sounds like it was just what you needed! Good for you!

TRosa, I third that! I remember attending a Joan Baez concert -- this was about 15 years ago, now -- and she had this younger band with her. She joked that after the concerts that they'd go back and she'd talk about the old days -- when they had records -- and then she'd have to explain what those were! I could relate, too.

In fact, the first time I encountered CDs, it was in the mid 80s, and I was living in Seattle. I hadn't bought records for a long time, and decided I wanted to get one. Well, it had been many years since I looked for a record. So, I saw a store that said "Records." I walked in and then I just stood in the doorway perusing things. I looked around and didn't see any "records." I asked the guy at the counter where the records were and he pointed to a little rack that had actual, but OLD records. So, I asked where were the more recent ones? He gave me this very weird look and said, "You have to get a cd for more recent music."

I felt like I was dropped on a foreign planet! I had no clue what a CD was! So, I'm fumbling around, and asked what the heck these new-fangled CDs were. He explained it and then I realized I had to have a special machine to PLAY them on!! I never realized I was that behind the times!! I'll never forget that day that I discovered CDs and felt like I was an alien!
I feel your pain. I'd finally gotten upgraded to a cassette player just when CDs came out.

My sister was working at a bank back in the 80's when the radio station started announcing CD's as prizes for being the 100th caller or whatever. She was wondering why the radio station was giving out Certificates of Deposit!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:56 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyqueen801 View Post
i feel your pain. I'd finally gotten upgraded to a cassette player just when cds came out.

My sister was working at a bank back in the 80's when the radio station started announcing cd's as prizes for being the 100th caller or whatever. she was wondering why the radio station was giving out certificates of deposit!
rofl!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
MightyQueen801: I feel your pain. I'd finally gotten upgraded to a cassette player just when CDs came out.

My sister was working at a bank back in the 80's when the radio station started announcing CD's as prizes for being the 100th caller or whatever. She was wondering why the radio station was giving out Certificates of Deposit!
Ha ha, that's true! Actually, that's what I thought TRosa was going to say!! And then her response!

Quote:
TRosa: Wanna hear something just as funny, when you used the term CDs, I couldn't figure out if you were refering to city data or cross-dressers. I swear it took me a minute to crasp. See, I mostly download my music these days to my mp3 player.
The weirdest thing is, I actually knew this whole GROUP of Cross Dressers in Seattle!! Somehow I met one, and the next thing you know, I knew a whole bunch of them -- they'd parade around the mall and food court there! So, I can see where you might get mixed up!!

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Ha ha, that's true! Actually, that's what I thought TRosa was going to say!! And then her response!

The weirdest thing is, I actually knew this whole GROUP of Cross Dressers in Seattle!! Somehow I met one, and the next thing you know, I knew a whole bunch of them -- they'd parade around the mall and food court there! So, I can see where you might get mixed up!!
Not gonna go there, but the stories I could tell ya.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Karcon - What a fun trip! Let's see, name changes:

Me (m2co) = Umbria
newenglandgirl - Latashia
plantlover = popcorn247
triciajeanne = mzfroggez

Hope I'm not missing anyone. I read Eat, Pray, Love - good book!
When did TJ convert??? I didn't catch that one. We need a master page with a directory! How are we going to keep up???

Old 07-19-2010, 02:56 PM

[quote=Latashia;15107375]When did TJ convert??? I didn't catch that one. We need a master page with a directory! How are we going to keep up??? [/QUOTE

I know, I had missed that one to till noticing something elsewhere.

I'm going to hold off at least till after I move, then I'l send everyone a pm. Kidding about the pm. I'll just post a sticky page thread announcing my new name.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashia View Post
When did TJ convert??? I didn't catch that one. We need a master page with a directory! How are we going to keep up???
Just within the past week. We started something

Old 07-19-2010, 03:11 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Watching Oprah - I love Dr Oz I want him to be my Dr.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:30 PM

Speaking of docs, I might have to see one, my plantar fasciitis is acting up. Just that bit of walking the dogs from station to station has my foot off kilt. I've got to go take some meds and lie down now, should have done it a long time ago, but got caught up in reading the messages here. It's been a blast. I'll be back after I catch up after I get some rest.

Yes, love that Doctor Oz, reminds me of an ex.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:41 PM

205 posts, read 397,189 times
Umbria; thank you for the playlist. I've actually printed it out so I can keep up. Any more changes? Travel is food for my soul. Hope to be able to do more this fall and visit both kids. I would love to do a cross country trip but staying in hotels all the way would be way too expensive and can't afford to buy that Road Treker I like so much. So, I will just save my money and do trips when I can. And, I am definitely going to have come back to reading this thread more regularly just to keep up. Happy mid-summer to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement