Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by splash.painting View Post
newenglandgirl,
thanks for the advice, i have spent 3 months converswing with a few people I have contacted down there already. I am confident that the area I am relocating to is not "bad". I am in contact with 32 different New Bernians on a weekly basis (if not more often).
There are good and bad in all towns . I am sure we will be fine.
My sister is contemplating a move to New Bern from PA. She is really into that little town. She has one more year to retirement. She says many retirees are moving there. I guess as with all posts you have to take comments with a grain of salt, but it helps to have a few different viewpoints at any rate. Good luck with the move!!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
Hey NewEnglandGirl....glad you're back. You know NE is my favorite place!

Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Well, I returned from my road trip to Red Lodge, Montana a few days ago. We stayed in Port St. Joe, FL the first two nights at a beach house belonging to a co-worker. What a great community and beautiful, undiscovered beach!! We drove across Louisiana - stayed in St. Francesville - a wonderful old town with several restored plantations in the surrounding area. The town is filled with restored homes dating back to the 1800's. We spent the night in a cabin on the grounds of the Butler Greenwood Plantation. The next night we stayed in Fredricksburg, TX in the hill country. It is a cute town - sort of touristy. The next night we stayed in Las Vegas, New Mexico in an old, restored hotel, La Plaza. Then we drove up to Taos, walked around a bit - too touristy for me. We then headed out and spent the night in Saratoga, Wyoming. What a neat town! The next morning we visited their hot springs and the great dog park - my friend brought her two labs!! The next day we drove through Wyoming on beautiful, scenic, no traffic state highways. What a beautiful area! I liked it - surely not for everyone - but the sagebrush, wildflowers, sort of dry or desert vegetation - no cactus, though. Wide open spaces and mucho miles between gas stations! I can certainly believe that Wyoming is the least populated state. Not sure if I would like it in the winter, though. We arrived in Red Lodge, Montana that evening and got settled. I stayed for 6 more days and then flew back to Miami last Saturday. I went on several hikes, visited Yellowstone, visited the community where my Great Aunt and Uncle lived many years ago (Powell, WY) and saw the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody. I didn't spend much time at all in any place but I would like to come back to places such as Lander, Wyoming and Powell. People are so friendly and I loved the small town atmosphere.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Popcorn - Sounds like a really good time! You really covered a lot of miles and now I take it your traveling partner will drive back alone with her dogs. Will you finally settle in MT or an area near there? Good times

Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Popcorn - Sounds like a really good time! You really covered a lot of miles and now I take it your traveling partner will drive back alone with her dogs. Will you finally settle in MT or an area near there? Good times
Remind me who Popcorn was (her previous name) and where she's headed to settle down. I'm trying to remember everyone but I think I need to make a directory!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:08 AM

Hi NEG, I used to be Plantlover. I am still working (age 59). I don't know where I want to settle, but I would like to be in a small town, preferably in a drier climate. I'm tired of heat, humidity and hurricanes. Not sure about Montana.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Hi NEG, I used to be Plantlover. I am still working (age 59). I don't know where I want to settle, but I would like to be in a small town, preferably in a drier climate. I'm tired of heat, humidity and hurricanes. Not sure about Montana.
Please do let us know where you're exploring, a number of us want the same thing. Montana you will get no hurricanes!

What about Utah or Idaho (Boise)--or Nevada?

Old 08-14-2010, 11:16 AM

I loved the small towns in Wyoming - just passing through or staying overnight, but, jeese, you might have to drive 50 miles or so just to get gasoline! Lander, WY looked really nice, but do I want to put up with the harse winter weather. So undecided!! Plenty of time to look.... I saw some really cute, tiny homes in places like Lander, Red Lodge, MT, Powell, WY, etc.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I loved the small towns in Wyoming - ...I saw some really cute, tiny homes in places like Lander, Red Lodge, MT, Powell, WY, etc.
I am partial to Powell (nice ag community within striking distance of Billings + my all time favorite spot (Burgess Jct on 14a) + 'The Merc!!' A community owned mercantile). Rural Co-Ops: Saving Shopping Options : NPR

I have had friends who have lived in all. Winter is a challenge, the people and communities are great. Real 'home-towns' in a harsh environment. Not sure I would choose one for home, but would love to live there for awhile and scout out the territory. (As I hope to do all over the world). I have given some consideration to working for Xanterra over a winter in Tetons or Yellowstone.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:52 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am partial to Powell (nice ag community within striking distance of Billings + my all time favorite spot (Burgess Jct on 14a) + 'The Merc!!' A community owned mercantile). Rural Co-Ops: Saving Shopping Options : NPR

I have had friends who have lived in all. Winter is a challenge, the people and communities are great. Real 'home-towns' in a harsh environment. Not sure I would choose one for home, but would love to live there for awhile and scout out the territory. (As I hope to do all over the world). I have given some consideration to working for Xanterra over a winter in Tetons or Yellowstone.
I wonder how welcoming the people would be to a stranger settling in. Especially an older single woman. Visiting is one thing. Living there is another. Most small communities are pretty insular and it is hard to fit in if you donKt share their history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement