Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to all of the sisters (and LiveContent wherever he may be.)

I first posted on this thread in November 2008. Several of the earlier regular posters, DancingEarth, Anomoly, PNW-Type-Gal and KnoxGarden, appear to be gone but are not forgotten! I also want to thank the early posters who either provided a wealth of information, made me think a little harder or made me laugh out loud. They include, but are not limited to (legalese for "I'm probably forgetting someone") StealthRabbit, Tesaje, Karcon, Wisteria, Coney, Avalon08, NancytheReader, Popcorn247, LauraC, BrightDogLover, NEG and Umbria. A special thanks to TRosa for making me laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes!

I believe it was my first post in which I complained about the cold in Maryland. I'm still here and I'm still cold! I recently learned I have a rare disorder that makes me hypersensitive to cold. I really want to move near my children, but it looks like they will all end up in the New England area. My current plan is too either be a snowbird or suck it up and move north. I just hope I don't spend my whole life planning!

Anyway, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Lenora, I don't know what it's like weatherwise in Maryland (my sister lives in Hagerstown though) but "up north" here we have had the most beautiful October and November ever, with mild temps and fine days. Some overcast but still nice enough to get out without freezing your butt off. I wanted to move so badly somewhere south due to health issues and I explored it quite a bit, but the bottom line is to be near at least one of my kids, and I've chosen the one least likely to move away from here (plus he's a skilled carpenter ). I did so much analysis comparing situations my head was spinning for several years. But...I've decided that since I do not have to go out in any really cold or icy weather, I'd rather be here in my nice cozy house and watch everything out there from my window...and hopefully 45 minutes from potential grandchildren.

I don't think you would be as bothered by the winters here, and my theory is that New England may just be changing to more like the PNW, mild, drizzly, etc.---except we do get abundant sun on many days. Why don't you spend a month up north? What part are your kids in?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:54 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
NEG,

Your sister lives in Hagerstown? What a small world! For about 25 years I lived in a small town immediately east of the Washington County line. I still miss the mountains and valleys in "Western Maryland."

My oldest son, recently married, intends to stay in the Canaan, NH area permanently. My youngest son recently moved to Portland, ME. I doubt he will stay there. My daughter is currently interviewing for several positions; one in Boston and one in New York. I'm not sure where she will go if she is not offered either of these positions. She is not particularly keen on moving to the North East, but she is more than willing to do so for a great job.

At this time, I have two small dogs that prevent me from trying out NH for a whole month. As for my cold intolerance, I begin to get uncomfortable when the temp drops to the low 60's. But I honestly don't know if it makes any difference whether it's 30 degrees outside or 10 degrees. I will still need to go outside everyday; I just need to learn to dress warmly!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Hey Lenora, if you don't mind my asking, what is the disorder that makes you sensitive to the cold? Is it Raynaud's? My mother (88) has that, as part of an overall rare auto-immune disorder called CREST Syndrome, and it's a huge problem for her.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,018,590 times
Avalon08,

I sent you a DM.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
NEG,

Your sister lives in Hagerstown? What a small world! For about 25 years I lived in a small town immediately east of the Washington County line. I still miss the mountains and valleys in "Western Maryland."

My oldest son, recently married, intends to stay in the Canaan, NH area permanently. My youngest son recently moved to Portland, ME. I doubt he will stay there. My daughter is currently interviewing for several positions; one in Boston and one in New York. I'm not sure where she will go if she is not offered either of these positions. She is not particularly keen on moving to the North East, but she is more than willing to do so for a great job.

At this time, I have two small dogs that prevent me from trying out NH for a whole month. As for my cold intolerance, I begin to get uncomfortable when the temp drops to the low 60's. But I honestly don't know if it makes any difference whether it's 30 degrees outside or 10 degrees. I will still need to go outside everyday; I just need to learn to dress warmly!
Your daughter will find Boston and New York housing to be quite expensive. Hopefully she will be getting a high salary, but comparatively may do better in Boston.

Canaan, NH is very far north. NH property taxes--double ouch.

If you lived in Western Mass or Central Mass you'd be close to NY and Boston, and ? hrs from Canaan.

We have had no horrible cold yet as of Nov. 30. Mildly cold (could get by without much heat) , sually sunny but today raining.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:57 AM

12 posts, read 17,392 times
Hay, I lived in Tucson for 15 years. Went to sunnyside Jr high and pueblo ele. I'm thinking of moving back,I'm in the south east now and have been here for 32 years.30 year marriage too,domestic abuse. My mom just died a few years ago and was abused by my brother and sister and I cant stand to think about being near them knowing what they did to their own mother. long story,but I was and I'm still trying to find away to file charges of abuse. They used her and her ss money every month and only let her have soup and cereal to eat. I blame my other brother out there also who never went around her but every few months and then believed anything that those two told him instead of watching out for his own mother too! I do not know what is wrong with people! How does a girl abuse her own mother?It has really upset me. So there are several places I would love to move to in Arizona, one being Wilcox or Prescott.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:02 AM

Aalabama is beautiful in the fall with all the hills and if you ever make it to Guntersville,Al or the state park,Bucks Pocket its like the rockies in the colorado mountians.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 AM

Hi, I'm moving too. I'am torn between moving to my birth place,Colo. moving to Ariz,one family member there. Or Tenn where my son is. I just cant stand it here any more-Ala. Domestic violence and my x husband od 30 years has ruined it. He has his friends who live next door to me,and I'm not from here,you know the story. My children have also moved away,one is only 2 hours away and one is almost 4 hours away and the last one is in Tempa. I went to Sarasota,Fl a few years ago and stayed at a rented house by the beach for 2 weeks.Loved it. I dont know where I could find a place to live if I sell my place because the housing market is so bad. Any ideas? I'm disabled with Lupus

Old 12-05-2010, 02:33 AM

Well as anyone can see it is 3:30 am and I'm reading and catching up on what everyone has been up too. I have been busy painting trying to get my place ready to sell. With fibromyalgia sometimes I can work for several hours and then not move for several days. I could really use some advise from some fellow woman who are of our age and in my situation-divorced,1st time after 30 yrs. Domestic violence. Bad judge. my x has friends who are doing his dirty work. Hope this is ok to ask for advice. No help here in the east

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 AM

Default advice plz??

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveland58 View Post
Well as anyone can see it is 3:30 am and I'm reading and catching up on what everyone has been up too. I have been busy painting trying to get my place ready to sell. With fibromyalgia sometimes I can work for several hours and then not move for several days. I could really use some advise from some fellow forum readers and posters who are of our age and in my situation-divorced,1st time after 30 yrs. Domestic violence. Bad judge. my x has friends who are doing his dirty work. Hope this is ok to ask for advice. No help here in the east
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement