Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,158 times

Advertisements

Thanks! I read the Parachute job hunting book long ago and will check out the Retirement one.

I heard there was a 4.1 near San Jose just now. Did you feel it?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
The job hunting books were easy to use and made sense. So does the retirement book but you may not need all of it. They call it a retirement circle which includes: geographic, financial, biological, medical, psychological, and social. Many of these topics have been mentioned in these posts. I remember when Richard Bolles brother, a newspaper reporter, was bombed in Phoenix back in, as I recall, 1972. Really, sad and I don't know whether they caught the people who did the car bomb.

Actually, we had two quakes 4.1 and a smaller 2. something with more aftershocks still pending. My male cat ignors everything, including when the condo next door was struck by lightning last year, and he ignored rocking and rolling this afternoon. My little female cat just cried her heart out today. I hardly noticed it but it is a reminder of why I want to leave. One day at work I was talking to a lady who survived being crushed her L.A. apt. during a quake. When she recovered she moved to Ohio. Do you watch ABC7news for the Bay area? They have coverage of the new quakes today. Cheers.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I really like TJ's products also but they do short you a little on package size on many products so as usual, buyer beware. The new WF that opened near them is really expensive so it will be interesting to see how long they last. We like to spread their sun dried tomatoes on pizza. What is your favorite product?
I love their frozen pancakes. They taste different from regular pancakes and are actually healthy for you. I like their Spa Salads, sliders, stuffed chicken breast, any dessert in their freezer, corn bread, gingerbread people and various frozen dinners they make. Oh, and I like their sun-dried tomatoes too. I make a kind of pizza bread using them but I also mix them with pasta dishes.

These are kind of novelty items that are theirs only. There are probably more I can't think of offhand. Shopping there is fun because you find things there not found elsewhere. But I do agree with you about the packaging.

I can't even look at a Whole Foods store without feeling my wallet shinking.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM

Oh My Dearest, did you forget T.J.'s Joe-Joes???? Try spreading a little mango chutney on their garlic naan and then slather some more chutney on their chicken strips. That could make one forget about an earthquake.

What I don't get is the high number of people in WF on our WF/TJ's/Costco block. How can those people pay those prices!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,197,335 times
Quote:

What I don't get is the high number of people in WF on our WF/TJ's/Costco block. How can those people pay those prices!
I eat only fresh organic food. W.F. has an excellent selection of fresh organic food. Neither T.J's or Costco offer what W.F. does.
So I sacrifice other things and use my money to eat the better quality food. It would be really nice if everybody sold all the organic foods that W.F. does, but they don't.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Oh My Dearest, did you forget T.J.'s Joe-Joes???? Try spreading a little mango chutney on their garlic naan and then slather some more chutney on their chicken strips. That could make one forget about an earthquake.

Never tried that but I now have those ingredients on my shopping list. I sort of think of WF like a muesum: look but don't touch.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Never tried that but I now have those ingredients on my shopping list. I sort of think of WF like a muesum: look but don't touch.
I make my own mango chutney so that isn't on my list today, but it nice to add a little TJ curry powder and dry mustard powder to give it a little more kick. I see a bus from a retirement home stop in front of TJ and the folks get out and quickly head to the store. Transportation is an issue in retirement.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Portland/Vancouver, Wa. are they pretty much the same? I hear so much more about Portland.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Portland/Vancouver, Wa. are they pretty much the same? I hear so much more about Portland.

Day and night. Portland is more "urban" with more to offer. Vancouver is more like a suburb. I don't know too much about it but I don't think there is a whole lot to do if you are thinking of vacationing there. In Portland you will not be bored.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM

In San Jose there are a lot of people with ties to Portland so I hear a lot of mixed opinons, some say it is wonderful others complain about the rain, drugs and other crime. The rain doesn't need to be shoveled like the snow, and crime can't be avoided. Portland is only a train ride away from San Francisco. At some point, I would like to see for myself but that faultlline going through the center of Portland makes think. If you are leaving or staying in Portland, why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement