Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear the experiences of those who have stopped driving/given up a car and at what age. Was it a cost consideration? (with the gas prices, I'm wondering how retirees are handling it). How are you getting around? Do you feel dependent on friends and family to drive? How do you do grocery shopping, etc? Do you feel liberated or is a real hardship?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Trosa,
Like you, I do not drive - I'm wondering how Sarasota is for a non-driver, and also how getting to the beach and for example, getting to the drum circle is, by bus, I assume.

I looked into moving to Sarasota a little over a year ago, and looked at apt rental ads and the bus system. I have not been to Sarasota, but I did a lot of research on it using the internet.

I decided not to move to Sarasota for right now, but I'm not ruling it out in the future.

Can you tell me how being a non-driver is in Sarasota? The bus system looks pretty good. Thanks!

Not driving in the area isn't much of a problem except after 8pm or so. The bus that takes me to the Siesta Key drum Circle is a 10-15 minute ride, which lets me off right in front of the beach pavillion entrance. I can get to several beaches by bus some 30 minute ride others might take a bit longer and two buses involved. For the most part, getting around town by bus is pretty easy. Just note, many of the bus drivers aren't particulary helpful or friendly. The rudeness of the bus drivers is my one big issue, they will see people running to the bus and pass them by without a care.

Grocery shopping is a five minute or less walk from my door there's the Sarasota Pavillion in that distance which has numerous big name stores, Marshals, Ross, Bed Bath and Beyond, several womens clothing stores, book store, drug store, numerous restaraunts, bakeries, bars, (too many bars for my liking) and various other establishments. No fish markets though, sigh, that I don't get about the area.

You know this area really isn't for everyone, you have to really be very tollerant of heat and humidity, very adaptable to so many situations, because for many Florida can be such a strange animal, I know I felt that way about Tampa. For me, I love the heat, because that means I will be able to get into water as often as I want, the warmer weather works better for my arthritis I am someone that trives on living near the ocean no matter where it is, but I do it so much better when I know I'll have many more months in the year to be able to jump in a pool or brave the ocean's waves. Living in a warm climate is something I new I wanted from when I was in my college, maybe even high school days.

I don't know where you are from, but I do know several people that move from the northeast and end up moving back up there because they can't adjust or just miss family and friends too much. seems mostly midwesterners settle here. Florida is a strange beast, but you have to know you and your expectations and if you can learn flow with the current to some degree.

================================================== ========

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would like to hear the experiences of those who have stopped driving/given up a car and at what age. Was it a cost consideration? (with the gas prices, I'm wondering how retirees are handling it). How are you getting around? Do you feel dependent on friends and family to drive? How do you do grocery shopping, etc? Do you feel liberated or is a real hardship?

I gave up driving because of medical problems, I wouldn't be able to drive over 25 mph without the road swaying, plus, there's that whole seizure thing can be an issue sometimes.

I do find not driving to be an inconvenience sometimes, especially when I want to attend a function that takes place at night or if something isn't accessible by bus. I have made some friendships with people that will offer rides here and there, but I don't like calling on them unless it's an emergency. Only once have I pre-arranged, with a friend, to be picked up from a night time event, but even then I left the event early and took the bus home. I've had people that were attending events post message seeking to car pool, so those times worked out very well.

Sometimes I feel quite liberated by not having a car, especially when I see everyone struggling with car issues of parking, (that's a huge issue near the beaches), breakdowns, gas, insurance, etc. There are moments when I'm frustrated because I'm not being able to drive, such as the moments when I am hindered from getting to attend evening events as often as I'd like.

I'm loosing my consentration, as I need to go get ready for my group meetup, this afternoon at the beach, but I'll be happy to come back and answer any questions posed to me about my non-driving self.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
I sold my car 13 years ago when I moved to an apartment a 30-minute walk from work. I ran most of my errands on foot and took public transit if I needed to go across town. I took the money from the sale of the car and invested it in index mutual funds. I was happy to save the cost of gasoline, insurance, maintenance, and parking (which ran $150/month when I first moved there).

I made the mistake of moving to a lower density area last summer, so not driving isn't working well now. I am lucky to have a good grocery store that delivers, but for everything else I call a cab. I'm moving again soon, to another high-density area where I can get around easily on foot.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I sold my car 13 years ago when I moved to an apartment a 30-minute walk from work. I ran most of my errands on foot and took public transit if I needed to go across town. I took the money from the sale of the car and invested it in index mutual funds. I was happy to save the cost of gasoline, insurance, maintenance, and parking (which ran $150/month when I first moved there).

I made the mistake of moving to a lower density area last summer, so not driving isn't working well now. I am lucky to have a good grocery store that delivers, but for everything else I call a cab. I'm moving again soon, to another high-density area where I can get around easily on foot.
Do you worry about getting around on foot in old age?

And...you're moving back to Portland, right?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
Yes, I'm moving to a walkable area soon. Maybe Portland, maybe elsewhere.

My Mom quit driving in her eighties after she decided it was time. She had always been a walker, even back in the fifties when few people walked if they didn't have to, and she managed to run errands by herself for quite a few years before she moved into a retirement home.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
At older ages (depends what age), one takes the regular city bus, or the special bus service for seniors, or taxi cabs, or walk.

Cities like Minneapolis and Portland have great public bus systems, and also special bus services for seniors, along with taxi cabs, and great urban neighborhoods with convenient grocery stores in the neighborhoods.

I have never owned a car my entire adult life. I am 63 now.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 AM

As for grocery shopping, cities like Minneapolis and Portland now have major grocery delivery services from Safeway.com, Peapod.com (Giant), Cobornsdelivers.com, Byerlys.com, etc - major, large grocery stores with websites where you place grocery orders and they are delivered directly to your apartment or home by a van at $5.00 per delivery or $9.95 per delivery.

Before I started using the delivery services, I used a very large backpack and large shoulder satchel to do grocery shopping, and either walked or used the regular city bus.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I have never owned a car my entire adult life. I am 63 now.
That's pretty impressive. How did you commute to work?
Deal with bad weather in getting around?

Old 03-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Newenglandgirl,
Always commuted to work by regular city bus. Used city bus for everything thruout entire life. Still do. Bad weather has no bearing on anything.

I've lived in eight different states - five midwestern and three eastern.
All with city bus systems. Some with additional university bus systems.

When I become more aged in my 70's or 80's, I will use special bus services for seniors.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Newenglandgirl,
Always commuted to work by regular city bus. Used city bus for everything thruout entire life. Still do. Bad weather has no bearing on anything.

I've lived in eight different states - five midwestern and three eastern.
All with city bus systems. Some with additional university bus systems.

When I become more aged in my 70's or 80's, I will use special bus services for seniors.
I"ll bet you're in fantastic shape.

Want to give us some tips?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement