Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 06:25 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times

Advertisements

Lafayette and West Lafayette are separated by the Wabash River. West Lafayette has Purdue University, a fine school if I do say so myself!! I graduated from there in Horticulture. Lafayette, when I was living there, had Alcoa Aluminum, Duncan Meters, National Homes, Eli Lilly, and probably other manufacturing industries. It is surrounded by agriculture. I know there is a Subaru plant there now. It has a vibrant downtown area, farmers markets, a wonderful annual festival (Feast of the Hunter's Moon at Fort Quiatenon). Lots of history in the area, is somewhat more diverse than other communities due to the prescence of Purdue - a fine Land Grant university. Lots of parks, hiking areas nearby. It has a wonderful Wolf Park in nearby Battle Ground where research and education regarding wolves has been going on for many years. It is 63 miles north of Indianapolis and about 2 hours south of Chicago. If you visit the link about the top 10 places to retire, click on Lafayette and within that site there are other links. I haven't been back for a visit since 1979!! That is when my parents retired and moved down to Florida. Are you on Facebook?

Summers can be warm, but for just a few days and usually a cool front moves through. It is not the south! Tornados....I am not sure whether Lafayette has been hit, but I remember a couple times that we had warnings. It is good to buy a home with a basement.... But this would not keep me from living there. It is nowhere as bad as OK or KS.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Carmel. Oh, Google 'Feast of the Hunters' Moon! If you like history, this is the place to visit. When there, one feels transported back in time (18th century) The music, food, costumes, really authentic. Indiana has a rich history - Indians, French, the Brits, fur traders, etc.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Oops, I forgot, they have a great public transportation system.....buses go everywhere....

Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM

If you are on Facebook, like the page: Lafayette/West Lafayette Nostalgia - Do You Remember...
Community

Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Oops, I forgot, they have a great public transportation system.....buses go everywhere....
I've been googling and oggling for the past half hour. No date tonight, tag sale tomorrow.

It's bringing back good memories of the nice large inexpensive houses i live in in the Midwest. Would you say West Lafayette is a "better" area than Lafayette?

Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Here is a link to hidden treasures of the Lafayette area. You'll need to click on icons on the map to learn about each place.

Hidden Treasures of Greater Lafayette | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM

West Lafayette is probably a better area. Just remember, when Purdue is in session, it can get very busy. Summers are a bit less hectic. Oh how I loved going to Purdue football and basketball games with my father when I was a young kid! Houses would be more expensive in W. Lafayette as well. Purdue also has an OUTSTANDING performance venue.....the Hall of Music...Google this!!

Old 09-02-2011, 07:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
West Lafayette is probably a better area. Just remember, when Purdue is in session, it can get very busy. Summers are a bit less hectic. Oh how I loved going to Purdue football and basketball games with my father when I was a young kid! Houses would be more expensive in W. Lafayette as well. Purdue also has an OUTSTANDING performance venue.....the Hall of Music...Google this!!
The music hall is fabulous! I was an arts administrator for chamber music and opera, so I get excited when I see a great hall like that one. There's probably tons of great performances going on at Purdue and Indiana-U. Why did you move away from such a great place? Reminds me of St Louis, where I once lived. I'm tempted to visit. Meet you in Lafayette

Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM

I moved away because I got a job in south Florida. I started a week after graduating from Purdue and have been working at the same place ever since (1973). I do miss the midwest terribly. I just don't fit in with the glamorous, crazy crowd in Miami. I would love to go up to Lafayette!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:45 AM

62 posts, read 97,574 times
Default Almost hot water bottle time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thank you for the wonderful post and information. You and I differ in that I would love to live somewhere else other than the US. I do understand the attraction to places like California, but that state too has its challenges. With your family there, I can understand why you'd like to live there part of the time.

I have not found any EU country that offers any kind of retirement option for a non-EU citizen. Other EU countries restrict tourism to 3 months out of 12. The UK is 6 out of 12.

Are there any EU countries that you know of that allow US citizens to retire to an EU country without the time restrictions? I'd be interested! Your post seemed to indicate that there were retirement options for non-EU" citizens.
I am sorry I do not have specifics but many countries in Europe appear to grant permanent residence as long as you can prove adequate financial resources -apart from your usual living expenses you would have to have private medical insurance or pay cash as many ex pat's do--the upside is medical costs are generally nowhere near the astronomic costs in the US.
If I were to ever move back to California it would probably not be to Sacramento where my daughter and grandson live but to the foothills and above--places like Placerville, Pollock Pines, Truckee etc. I love the countryside but it is nice also to be able to be within a reasonable distance of cultural activities.
I hope all the posters whose homes etc were in the path of Hurricane Irene have come through it ok. Another thought where on city data do I find out more about reps etc so I can respond in kind. Maybe I need City Data for Dummies My daughter is on Facebook(my only way to truly keep track of her everday activities lol) and I think I need a Dummies book for that too lol

Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscot47 View Post
Another thought where on city data do I find out more about reps etc so I can respond in kind. Maybe I need City Data for Dummies My daughter is on Facebook(my only way to truly keep track of her everday activities lol) and I think I need a Dummies book for that too lol
Just click on the little scales in the upper right corner of the box to rep someone and to leave a comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement