Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 12:54 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times

Advertisements

Thank you KiwiKate & AcaciaRose for the helpful info regarding a long distance move. While a considerable cost, it is not the exhorbiant costs that some of us feared.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Greyhound Buslines Package Express will ship boxes of stuff to your new location, check out the prices--I used them to ship many years ago, very economical.

Greyhound PackageXpress - Online

www.shipgreyhound.com/guide/

Old 11-19-2011, 04:49 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
You're welcome. By the way,the moving forum here on C-D is a great resource.

//www.city-data.com/forum/general-moving-issues/

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
Thank you so much for the wonderful and supportive responses!Ladies, You're the greatest!

I am so glad my show is over. It will be the last one as it was just too difficult to do all the packing, lifting, loading, transporting, set-up then teardown and back again by myself. Not worth it, I'm afraid. I've done huge shows in the past where thousands attended....this was a small one with possibly a hundred people. Didn't have any idea what to expect......now I know. It's going to have to be internet sales, I think, from now on. That's a whole other set of challanges for me. as I'm not real good with computer things. I got a book finally about setting up on etsy.com and am establishing a Facebook page....will let you know about both once done. Thanks so much for asking about my stuff.

I've mainly been doing jewelry, beading primarily, all ooak. and pretty "artsy", if I do say so myself and have had great feed-back over last few years, so will be brave and venture into a new cyberspace marketplace! I also had some florals, and a couple artdolls, cards, ornaments etc....but primarily 24' of jewelry! (3 8ft tables)

I was quoted almost $10,000 to move cross country by a moving company 18 mo ago. I do still have a lot, even tho' i'd already down sized and moved twice in 5 yrs, had 3 auctions and numerous garage sales and one enormous whole-house sale. You must remember, though, that I was an interior designer, artist, and antique dealer.....at least half of what I moved were supplies I felt I couldn't replace and could very well provide me with an income. I sold so much!!!! many, many pcs I didn't want to part with. most of my books :-(( but kept many of my reference books. I don't know. I thought I was being careful. but I could have done much better, I think---yet kinda early to tell.

If I DO, indeed, use those supplies to make the ooak Fr Xmas artdolls I had sold for $350 to $500 each, and that's a gigantic "if", and if I find a place/places to sell them, wel lthen I guess it was a good decision. So much of what I use on them are antiques, or unique items hard to replace, not to mention valuable furs, fabrics, trims etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell at this point what I'll manage to do. There are a lot of emotional reasons preventing me from leaping back into that area of 'art" that are tied into my unhappy divorce.........yet I couldn't give up, entirely, either.

Does anyone else have that old fear of "if I get rid of it I'll never be able to afford to replace it later" like I seem to? I'm afraid that may have something to do with all the stuff I am dragging around, too!!!
I can't remember what everyone said and need to go back and re-read your replies/comments/questions!I will, too, but not tonight. I'm so-ooo-oo tired! Thanks, again!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
This thread is one of the things I'm grateful for on this Thanksgiving Day. Thank you, wise women!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:27 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 PM

419 posts, read 758,231 times
Default Golden Girls Re-invented!?

Don't know if y'all have seen this video. Hope the link works.

'Golden Girls' coming to a home near you? - Video on mnsbc.com

Sure could be a true reality in the future. Not sure how I feel about the male roomate.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
The 'male roommate' is the husband of one of the four women living in the house.

I'm thinking maybe the married couple owns the house and rented out the three bedrooms to the other three women, although I'm not sure. That was not made clear; they only said that the people in the house pay from $600 to $900 each.

I got the feeling that the three single women in the house were part of the house to allieviate loneliness and to allieviate living alone, but they did not want to voice that.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:40 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! i would have loved to be with my kids, but instead a kind friend/neighbor invited me to go out to eat with her family. It was great to be able to be with someone. I was so tired when I got back after the trip to restaraunt (sp?) I slept 4 hours. that's kinda the way it is often; it was over-cast, then rainy, though, so that makes a difference, too.

Aqua Blue, we sound like we share similar ailments. No fun, is it? I get so discouraged by the never-ending fatigue.....plus some kind of pain is just about constant companion. I tell myself I can still walk, though, even if painful, and still see, hear, think, and get around.......so guess I'd better not complain too much! And it is difficult not to get too self-involved when unable to get out to be with people much. I think I have trouble with that issue.

I just wish it didn't limit my activities so much. I used to be on the go a lot, and was active in so many organizations. I thought that would continue as I aged. Wrong. And I realized the other night that my poor kids are probably afraid Mom is going to become dependent on them...... I was thinking about them and wishing I would hear from them, wondering why they so seldom contact me.(no----I don't complain to them and try to be cheerful and upbeat when talking to them!) I wonder if that fear is at the back of their minds, as my health has gotten so much worse since my divorce 8 yrs ago. I sure hope I can maintain my independence.......I worry a great deal about money, as I can't work, and I try to be frugal. That's getting harder all the time.

SCBaker, thanks for the info on Sun City. As a matter of fact, I was interested in trying to find a place there or in another 55+ community, but I couldn't find anything I could afford at the time. My house was only $90,000 and is 3 bedroom/2 bath ranch with 2 car garage. I wasn't ready to go into a one bedroom, and really wanted a garage, too, not just a carport as many condos have. Since I moved here 18 mo ago, my house has probably decreased in value another $15,000, so even if I could find a place, not to mention muster the energy, I would lose too much right now trying to move. I also looked at mobile home parks, but that would actually cost me much more, as lot rent would add up so much and would be forever, even though the cost of the homes might be less. I love the idea of a community like that, though, and sure hope I can find my way there eventually.
Thanks to several people who suggested a move might be in order.....wish it were possible!

Minervah, you mentioned how different the move will be after age 60 compared to age 32. Boy, are you right!!! I was 59 when I moved. I had just moved nine mo before that, though---complete house, and had moved 5ys before that, too. So in a total of 7 years, I made 5 complete moves of the entire house, including building one I designed, and went thru a divorce. I moved 3 times in one year. Plus one house had a plethora of problems that were not found by the inspector and were difficult and exhausting to deal with. By the time I made 2 trips from IL to Az to look for a place, then moved out here, I think I was worn to a frazzle. I have not recovered like I expected to. Maybe that was expecting too much? I didn't want to move so much..........just a series of circumstances forced my hand. I'm wondering if I have another move left in me. Yet I think I will have to try to do so one more time if I am able to find anywhere less expensive and am able to break even on this house. But not soon. I just can't handle another move soon. I'm thinking at least a year or two down the road---possibly more. depends on how things progress here and if I am able to manage better as I get more familiar with my surroundings, make more friends, etc.

I would like to mention another possiblity I believe to be important when choosing your place to retire. Check the social services/ financial asssistance available thru the state or locally. You hope you'll never need it, but it may come to that. I don't think I'm in the best place as far as those considerations come into play. There isn't much available for single adults in my new adopted state. I was pretty dumb about that. Of course, that changed for the worse in our last legislative session, so nothing is certain, by any means.

Health insurance has been a nightmare for me, too. Those who consider moving before age 65 may want to double check what's available, then get those answers in writing. Do not rely on phone conversations, no matter who it is you're talking to, and definitely not on internet info. I made both of those mistakes myself. I talked to insurance agents, and spoke with several people from the state dept of insurance. I did not receive correct info from them and it was difficult to get it straightened out. I thought it was taken care of BEFORE I bought a house here, or I would not have moved. It wasn't until I attempted to actually purchase insurance that I discovered the errors. So much of my income is being taken up by insurance, and I am actually doing without medications. None of my health concerns are life-threatening, of course. So do get everything in writing and double check. (One agent actually sent me a brief letter stating I could get insurance, and she was wrong.)

I thought when i moved I would meet people through church, sorority, theatre, art, and other service avenues. Instead, I find myself pretty much confined to the house. I never know if I will feel well enought to actually KEEP a commitment, so hesitate to make them. I had hoped my health would be much better out here in the sunshine and desert climate.....in some ways it is. I would be experiencing even more pain and would be in bed much of the time if still in snowy, wet, over-cast NW IL. But things happen, health changes, circumstances change etc. I guess all you can reasonably do is prepare the best you can, be careful, and pray.

I wish the very best to all of you contemplating a move. Have courage, check into things extensively, and then, go get 'em, Girlfriend!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Great post Artangel, you have actually inspired me to push ahead not let the health issues get in the way. It will still be sometime next year but I am determined to go through with it.

I hope you find a way to cope and that you will be feeling better. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

I have checked out all the issues you mentioned and although I won't be moving to a place with the most ideal weather for me everything else will be there I need.

Best of luck to you and I hope things will soon go your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement